The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!!

Coops3

• Total Posts: 6
Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Wed, 12/3/03 8:19 AM (permalink)

Stop the presses.... Stop the presses.... The Philadelp[hia cheesesteak has been reinvented with John's Roast Pork monster recreation at the corner of Snyder Ave & Weccacoe Streets in South Philly.... Try the bruschetta cheesteak featuring the best soft roll in Philadelphia, freshest chipped beef, sharp provolone, basil, garlic, chopped fresh tomatoe & onions..... Fahgettaboutit!!!!

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
    RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Wed, 12/3/03 8:39 AM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Coops3

Stop the presses.... Stop the presses.... The Philadel[hia cheesesteak has been reinvented with John's Roast Pork monster recreation at the corner of Snyder Ave & Weccacoe Streets in South Philly.... Try the bruschetta cheesteak featuring the best soft roll in Philadelphia, freshest chipped beef, sharp provolone, basil, garlic, chopped fresh tomatoe & onions..... Fahgettaboutit!!!!

Well, I don't know if I'd call it a 'cheesesteak', but perhaps a variation on a theme. While the sandwich sounds yummy, nothing (and are you with me on this, Pennsylvanians?) will ever beat the Original!

acoustic blues

• Total Posts: 86
      RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Wed, 12/3/03 11:00 AM (permalink)
      I'm with Kristi

illadelfian

• Total Posts: 2
        RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Wed, 12/3/03 6:01 PM (permalink)
        You can't 'reinvent anything actually. And the cheesesteak is popular because it is so simple and "common".

I also (and most Philadelphians will agree) hate when national food chains advertise a "steak and cheese" anything and/or show this concoction with peppers in it. This, my friends is a "pepper steak" as is a "mushroom steak" is with mushrooms.

Its all quite simple.

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
          • Roadfood Insider
          RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Wed, 12/3/03 6:51 PM (permalink)
          It's a lot like a steak hoagie without lettuce. We've had these for years in Philly.
          It's just another option to a cheesesteak. There are steak sandwiches, cheesesteaks, mushroom cheesesteaks, pizzasteaks (steak or cheesesteak with pizza sauce), etc., etc.
          Whatever your fancy, it's your choice here in Cheesesteak Mecca!

Kristi S.

• Total Posts: 712
            RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Wed, 12/3/03 8:37 PM (permalink)
            And it's like that new pizza that's out now, what is it, Dominos? that advertises a Philly Cheese Steak Pizza. What is up with that? Either you're going to have a 'steak or a pizza. Not both!

Ort. Carlton.

• Total Posts: 3589
              RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Wed, 12/3/03 9:22 PM (permalink)
              Dearfolk,
              It sounds scrumptuous! If I hadn't already eaten, I'd be mightily tempted to hop in Blanch The Cadillac and tootle up that way - justtahaveone, yunnastan?
              Semi-Fluffianly (Kinda Like Maybe Bridesburg or Holmesburg or Out Moyamensing Avenue Nih Da Prison), Ort. Carlton in Nowhere-Closeby Athens, Georgia.
              P. S. Either Pat's or Geno's uses Amoroso's Bread exclusively. The other place uses another brand. Can anyone supply me widdat infamation? I seen da truck, but I din' gitdanameonit. I wonna wrote someting fada Flagpole here in At'ens, yunnastan?

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1084
                RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Sat, 12/13/03 10:04 AM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by CheeseWit

It's a lot like a steak hoagie without lettuce. We've had these for years in Philly.
                It's just another option to a cheesesteak. There are steak sandwiches, cheesesteaks, mushroom cheesesteaks, pizzasteaks (steak or cheesesteak with pizza sauce), etc., etc.
                Whatever your fancy, it's your choice here in Cheesesteak Mecca!

Right on! "Ain't nothing like the real thing..."

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                  RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Fri, 08/19/05 3:40 PM (permalink)
                  I'm headed down that way from Boston to Va. Beach in acouple of weeks with a 3day stop in Gaithersburg was going to take my wife to Pats or Ginos but sounds like I should go to Johns. Easy directions off #95 would be greatly appreciated thanks

dreamzpainter

• Total Posts: 1609
                    RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Sun, 08/21/05 12:18 PM (permalink)
                    sorry Jim, I know how to get there, but to give directions??? Every time someone opens a new sammich shop they think they have reinvented the cheesesteak but when ya reinvent perfection you usually end up with an inferior product..just mho.. Ort..nice typin wit an axent, ah unnerstood ya pahfectly!!

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                      RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Mon, 08/22/05 9:05 PM (permalink)
                      I can give you directions...

it's on Snyder St, by the corner of Wiccosumme...

going south on I-76, exit for Snyder Ave, head east (only way to go)
                      until you come across it...... it's in a VERY nondescript area of south philly (but not a bad area), but it is sort of diagonnally across from the Staples/office depot type of store

I had a cheesesteak , and loved it.....I remember a real good sub roll with sesame seeds on it......and they had a picnic table or 2 outside. I believe they open early in the morning too, so that might interest you..........if you are getting an early start in your roadtrip.....hey, cheesesteaks for breakfast, why not?!!

also, you've got to try tony lukes, off of I-95 sout ,Front St exit, right after you pay the toll (after you get off Walt Whitman bridge)....

just go down front st, to oregon ave and turn right, you can't miss it (go to the roadfood version of it, not the prettier restaurant they opened across the street....not the same feeling...yes, there are 2 tony lukes now, (but the 2nd one is more if you on a business luncheon, and want to get waited on ,etc..)

enjoy!

ellen

ellen4641

• Total Posts: 3531
                        RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Mon, 08/22/05 9:15 PM (permalink)
                        actually, it's Weccahoe St...(my mistake)

I believe it's exit 346, off of I-76 , right in central philly
                        ellen

Jimeats

• Total Posts: 3175
                          RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Sat, 08/27/05 11:09 AM (permalink)
                          Ellen thanks for the help looking forward to the trip sounds like a good spot to streach the get away sticks. Chow Jim

lennonlover2005

• Total Posts: 62
                            RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Fri, 12/30/05 8:47 PM (permalink)
                            My bf wishes there was REAL Philly steak place here in Michigan...he has never heard of them since he was from Chicago.What we get here are not like the original I am sure! I saw a Food Network show on these sandwiches and they look fantastic...crusty bread, slivered beef etc. My bf wants to make a trip there to Philly someday!

acer2x

• Total Posts: 440
                              RE: Reinvention of the Philly Cheesesteak!! Fri, 12/30/05 10:43 PM (permalink)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                • No New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                • Read Message
                                • Post New Thread
                                • Reply to message
                                • Post New Poll
                                • Submit Vote
                                • Post reward post
                                • Delete my own posts
                                • Delete my own threads
                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com