Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Williamsburg Trip Complete Part II

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7408
  • Roadfood Insider
Williamsburg Trip Complete Part II Wed, 12/3/03 12:27 PM (permalink)
As you now know I've been back on the board since Sunday. I returned to Rhode Island on Saturday evening. Besides Williamsburgh this adventure also included a Wedding on Long Island and Thanksgiving in Albany. I'm going to give a run down of the restaurants I visited some of which I have visited previously. For most breakfasts I went to the local bagel shop (on Long Island) or Coffee House (Richmond and Albany), or took advantage of the continental breakfast at the hotel.

I left for my trip on Saturday November 22 and headed to NY. I had a huge excellent messy Slice of Lasagna Pizza for lunch at Pizza Roma in Merrick NY. It had an excellent combination of Mozzarella, Ricotta and Ground Beef with a crisp crust and zesty sauce. I went out that evening with friends to the Black Forest Brewhouse. Although hardly a road food stop,this brewhouse has a german motif, however the food is far from it.The beer was quite delectable and hoppy and the very healthy tuna salad with wasabi dressing was stellar.

On Sunday I went to my friend's wedding. It was an Persian Jewish Orthodox Kosher wedding. This was a quite lavish black tie affair which began with an ornate buffet which included several persian dishes, and an open bar. After the 2 hour buffet, we headed to the Chapel for the hour and a half ceremony which was done completely in Hebrew. After the ceremony we headed back to the buffet room for a sit down dinner complete with a full persian "pop band". The main course arrived around midnight, by this time all the people at my table left, which also led to my demise at around 12:30 AM, besides I had a big trip to Richmond the next day.

On Monday I left Long Island around 9:30 am and arrived in Linthicum Hts, just south of Baltimore at around 1PM. I headed again to G & M carryout and Restaurant for their baseball sized Crabcakes without filler. I had the crabcake sandwich with coleslaw. These cakes are so good that tartar or cocktail sauce would competely ruin it. i also enjoyed the people next to me jabbering away in "Balamerese". It kinda sounds like cockney english. I got to Richmond around 3:45 PM. After a brisk 4 mile walk around the city I stopped at the Richbrau Brewery for couple of pints and then headed to Freckles Restaurant for their delicious artery clogging Fried Chicken Dinner. This comes with delicious spoonbread and sweet tea. I also had the broccoli (hey you have to have one healthy side) and Marcaroni and Cheese was was a little dissappointing.

The next day I drove to Williamsburg and spent all day there listening to Thomas Jefferson give a speech, and touring the Governor's palace, capitol and Jail. Also ventured into the many merchant's shops for demonstrations from the blacksmith, cobbler, silversmith etc. I left for approximately one hour to head to Pierce's Pit BBQ for lunch. The Pork had the redolent flavor of smoke and comes with the tomato vinegar bbq sauce which seems to be popular in Virginia. The sauce was good too, but of course will be dissapointing to North Carolina Folks,however I must remind you that this is Virginia and not North Carolina. The meal comes with Coleslaw, Hush Puppies and French Fries, however I substituted the sweet potato sticks for french fries. They were delicious logs, thicker than fries. They were crunchy on the outside and sweet and soft on the inside. That evening I returned to Richmond and went to the River City Diner for a dissappointing ham steak dinner. The Ham was flavorless and it was not country ham as advertised in the Yellow Pages,however the green beans were good with bits of pork in them and the mashed potatos seemed to be homemade.

Well, that's the first half of my trip. I will continue with the second half soon.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com