The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Road trip from Bentonville, Arkansas to Thomaston, Georgia

Gumbo191

• Total Posts: 71
Road trip from Bentonville, Arkansas to Thomaston, Georgia Sat, 03/14/09 5:52 PM (permalink)

http://eatoutnwa.blogspot.com/
Road Trip from NWA to Atlanta GA!!! A Review from the road.

Road Trip:

Driving from Northwest Arkansas to Atlanta without the family presented an opportunity to explore several off the beaten path food destinations.

I knew my first stop for lunch would be south of Memphis so I made my way to Holly Springs Mississippi for a hamburger at Philips grocery. Driving past the golden arches, BK, and several chicken restaurants I made my way through town past the Piggly Wiggly and the courthouse to the railroad tracks where I found Phillips Grocery. Originally built as a saloon in 1882 the store began selling groceries in 1919 and hamburgers in 1948.

Inside the historic old store the floors and walls reflect their age and the burgers and fried pies ordered from the chalk board menu are served fresh from the flat top with only the basics of mustard, onion, and pickles. Homemade fried pies are available in peach or apple. Only 15 minutes off highway 78 Phillips Grocery is a worthwhile lunch destination for seasoned foodies.

Once in Atlanta I made my way through town…..

What’ll ya have, what’ll ya have? Driving through downtown Atlanta there is one restaurant that can’t be missed; since 1928 the Varsity in Atlanta is a true road food experience. The world’s busiest drive in serves up to 30,000 diners on a good day, outside pull up for curb side service and place your order with one of the Varsity’s renowned car hops or make your way inside and place your order at the counter when you hear the infamous “What’ll Ya Have?” request from one of counter servers.

Glorified Steak (burger with lettuce and tomato), Heavy weight sideways (chili dog w/ extra chili and onions on the side), order of rings (onion rings) and strings (hand cut fries) walking (order to go). All accompanied by a coke and a frosted orange (whipped frozen orange drink). When in downtown Atlanta you can’t miss the Varsity on North Avenue across from Georgia Tech University. You can visit one of the Varsity’s other locations for the food but visit the original Atlanta location for the experience.

South of Atlanta I headed to Thomaston to visit a childhood favorite….

Around since 1950, Piggy Park drive in is famous for their loose meat burgers and barbecue. A Piggy Park amateur often makes a common mistake when attempting their first bite of the PP burger, the one handed bite, a lift of the burger by one hand and all of that wonderful meat and sauce flops out the other side onto your lap. These burgers topped with bits of shredded lettuce pickles and a secret sauce (rumored to include: ketchup, mustard and the secret ingredient dill pickle juice) are best handled with 2 hands. The fries are hand cut, crispy, and delicious!  Piggy Park also serves terrific bbq plates, sandwiches, and Brunswick stew (tomato based stew with shredded chicken, pork and usually some corn). Those foodies who know a good loose meat burger should also know about the pool room in downtown Thomaston which serves a great burger as well.

Whata TRIP!

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
    Re:Road trip from Bentonville, Arkansas to Thomaston, Georgia Sat, 03/14/09 9:41 PM (permalink)
    Huh!  I didn't know about either another place called Piggy Park (I'm in the home of the infamous one) or that you could get a loose meat in Georgia.  Thanks for the report!

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
      Re:Road trip from Bentonville, Arkansas to Thomaston, Georgia Sat, 03/14/09 10:42 PM (permalink)
      Nice job.  Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Also, thanks for the tip about eating loose meat sandwiches.  I need to remember that whenever I have another chance to eat one, whenever that may be.  (Then again, maybe I should use that advice when eating anything to avoid leaving all those food souvenirs on me.)

Thanks again.

brittneal

• Total Posts: 1265
        Re:Road trip from Bentonville, Arkansas to Thomaston, Georgia Sat, 03/14/09 10:51 PM (permalink)
        That was odd.  When I clicked on the picture of Piggy PArk to see the menu it cut off over half of it.  When I copied it and blew it up myself I got the whole picture.  Ive never seen that happen before.

carolina bob

• Total Posts: 3420
          Re:Road trip from Bentonville, Arkansas to Thomaston, Georgia Sun, 03/15/09 2:58 PM (permalink)
          Gumbo191, I really enjoyed your report and photos. I've had the pleasure of eating at both Phillips Grocery and The Varsity, and can recommend them both highly to hungry roadfooders. I'm not familiar with the Piggie Park in GA, but it looks interesting ( I've been to the famous Maurice's Piggie Park in the Columbia SC area and enjoyed it - yes, even the infamous hash was good. ) I'll have to keep Thomaston's PP in mind, since I love loose-meat sandwiches. 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com