Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures)

Author
arianej
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
2009/03/22 19:42:43 (permalink)

Jackson, OH daytrip and giant veal sandwich (with pictures)

On a whim, my husband and I took a daytrip to Jackson county in Ohio to visit the Leo petroglyph.  For lunch, we stopped in the small town of Jackson, which is right off US-35.  I had a couple things down on the list to try, but some we just couldn't find (probably outdated Google Map listings) and one was closed on a Saturday afternoon.  Bummer.  But we finally hit on J.R. Valentine's, on E. Main/US-93, just north of 124.

There used to be a J.R. Valentine's in Chillicothe, but I think it closed?  This was our first time eating here. 

Inside there were plenty of booths and tables free around 12:45pm or so on a Saturday.  Toward the front is a lunch counter with a refrigerated glass case full of pie slices.  They have daily specials, and on that day was an all-you-can-eat fried chicken special for $6 and some change.  I was definitely tempted.

Like the genius that I am, I forgot to take pictures of the other side, which advertises their "Famous Jackson Country veal sandwiches"!  But don't worry, I got pictures of the sandwich itself:

It's prepared pretty much like a pork tenderloin sandwich-- the veal is pounded thin, breaded and deep fried.  The end result is so large it hangs off the plate.  As I was photographing it, another customer walked by and did a doubletake, then leaned over and asked what the heck that was.  ;D

Here is the monster sandwich, folded in half.  It's still too big for the hamburger bun it's on, but at least now it's manageable!  It was excellent-- hot and crisp on the inside, tender on the inside.

One of the specials is that if you order the veal sandwich, you get a side dish for only .99.  This is a relatively small lunch portion of onion rings, but daaaaamn, they were good.  They had a light, almost delicate batter coating and were very crunchy.  I don't like too heavy a batter on my onion rings, so this was fabulous.  The total tab was less than $11 for two people.  Unfortunately, we didn't have room for pie.  :(   Maybe next time!

The visit to the petroglyph was interesting too, although it was sad to see rock graffiti carved into the stone.  Even nicer was the short hike through the gorge next to it-- very much like the nearby Hocking Hills area with its limestone outcroppings and woods.  It's not too challenging, but the trail is narrower and not as well maintained, so sturdy shoes are in order.  I wouldn't go out of your way to see it, but if you're traveling along US-35 and don't mind making a slight side trip, it's not a bad outing.

15 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1