The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut

Foodosaurus

A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Mon, 03/23/09 11:40 AM (permalink)
I live in Middletown, and don't have a lot of reason to travel to the west side of the state.  So When I was invited to a party at a friend's house in Danbury, I knew I should make the most of it.  I decided on two Roadfood destinations that I had never been to.

The first stop was Denmo's Snack & Dairy.  http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=185

Here are a couple pictures of the menu.

There were also some *SPECIALS* on a board off to the right, and an Ice Cream menu off to the left.  I spoke with Chloe, a lovely young lady.  Her parents own Denmo's.  She let me order "off menu," as I couldn't decide.  I ended up getting a "Fisherman's Platter."

My order came out quickly and included; French Fries, Cole Slaw, Whole Belly Clams, Shrimp, and Scallops.

There is also some tartar sauce, ketchup, s&p, and lemon wedges included with this masterpiece.   There was also a slice of buttered white toast, which I found a bit strange but also good.  The fries probably came out of a bag, but were nice and crispy.  The contrasting tastes of the three kinds of seafood were nice.  The shrimp had a nice bright crunch to them.  The scallops were very tender.  And the savory clams rounded out the meal nicely.

On my way to my next destination, I drove by the Laurel Dinner. http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=6 which looked closed.  I hope it was only because of the time of day!

My second stop was Burgerittoville. http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=4530

Here is the selection of "Rittos." I found it interesting that they had a selection of Pittsburghers, which are sandwiches on Italian Bread with Fries and Coleslaw right on the sandwich.   I assume this is an idea taken from Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh, I just don't know why they chose to have them on their menu.  I would like to try one on another trip though.

There was also a sign below the counter that told the story of the Burgerittoville.

They also had a nice selection of Boylan Sodas, all of which are sweetened with real cane syrup.  Sorry about the blurry photo.

Across the top from right to left: Root Beer, Creme Soda, Black Cherry, Diet Black Cherry, and Diet Creme (I think.)  The Bottom r - l:  Seltzer, Seltzer w/Lemon, Ginger Ale, Grape, Original Birch Beer, Orange, Creamy Red Birch Beer, and maybe Diet Orange (not sure.)  I had the Creamy Red Birch Beer.  It was very good, a little too sweet for me.

I met up with a friend of mine, he ordered the Buffalo Chickeritto.  He ordered his with Ranch instead of Blue Cheese.  It was much spicier than I thought it would be.  I would have preferred it with the Blue Cheese if I had ordered it myself.  I ordered the Original Burgeritto.  Here it is deconstructed.

They cut the burger into strips to make it fit the tortilla better.  It also had cheese, bacon, lettuce, tomato and "tomato mayo."  I assume tomato mayo is a mix of ketchup and mayo, like "fry sauce" in Utah. 

Here is a picture of me devouring my Ritto.

If I were to go there again, I think I would order a Pittsburgher.  There were also a couple Rittos that I would try, The Ceasaritto sounded interesting.  Overall I would say it was a good mini roadfood trip.  It was a beautiful day, and I was glad that I got to eat outside at Denmo's, and not in my car.  I can't wait to get back over to the Danbury area.  It really is a Mecca of Roadfood.  There are a plethora of places to try.
<message edited by braunsteinm on Mon, 03/23/09 2:53 PM>

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
    Re:A Saturday afternoon on the east side of Connecticut Mon, 03/23/09 11:59 AM (permalink)
    That is an interesting looking sandwich--I guess people are trying burger wraps because of the carbs in the bun?  I think a hamburger almost requires a bun, or at least a good one.

Nice day out; great report!

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
      Re:A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Mon, 03/23/09 12:42 PM (permalink)
      Great report and pictures.  Thanks for sharing them with us.

I have been to Hartford twice in the last few weeks and no doubt have more trips upcoming.  The places you visited look good enough to make the extra drive over toward Danbury.  (Of course that means I should also visit Dottie's Diner sometime as well...)

TnTinCT

Re:A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Mon, 03/23/09 1:49 PM (permalink)
        Nice! I've been looking at those long lists of places in my own state that are south of me, and need to do a road trip with the nice weather coming and put some checkmarks on the list.  Thanks for the pics!

HotDogHead

• Total Posts: 665
          Re:A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Mon, 03/23/09 3:03 PM (permalink)
          Very nice report.  Please keep them coming. 

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
            Re:A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Mon, 03/23/09 3:43 PM (permalink)
            Other than the Yankee Hat the report and pictures were excellent.

Next trip up that way we will have to check 'em out !!!!  We love the n'west area around Kent and Litchfield.  Let me know when the snow melts and the flowers are in bloom please.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1503
              Re:A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Mon, 03/23/09 4:20 PM (permalink)
              I am so envious of those clams!  And I"ve been to Buggertittovillle. Great place!

Thanks for the report and the great pics!

Foodosaurus

Re:A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Mon, 03/23/09 6:09 PM (permalink)
                Thank you for all the kind words.  As the weather gets nicer, I will be sure to post more reports.

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4469
                  Re:A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Mon, 03/23/09 8:13 PM (permalink)
                  braunsteinm, very nice report and pics.

the ancient mariner, please don't tell me that you are a Boston fan. 

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                    Re:A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Mon, 03/23/09 8:28 PM (permalink)
                    Mets/Sox/Rangers/Knicks/Notre Dame All the way !!!!

We don't need no stinkin' badges or Yankees.  

Benzee

• Total Posts: 1872
                      Re:A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Tue, 03/24/09 9:56 PM (permalink)
                      Now now ,

It is high , it is far it is gone!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      Centurys Team
                      Ruth
                      Gehrig
                      Mantle
                      DiMaggio
                      Berra
                      Ford
                      Murcer
                      Guidry
                      Munson
                      R-E-G-G-I-E
                      Mattingly
                      Jeter
                      Rivera

Enough said

By the way great report

Benzee

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
                        Re:A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Tue, 03/24/09 11:33 PM (permalink)
                        Michael, your report was excellent!

I'll trade you a dozen Celito Lindo taquitos for a basket of whole belly clams.

In a New York Minute!

Whatever that is.

FriedClamFanatic

• Total Posts: 1503
                          Re:A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Wed, 03/25/09 10:12 AM (permalink)
                          BTW..isn't Burgerittoville off of exit 10 in Newtown?  It's the same exit for my all-time favorite diner, The Blue Colony!

Foodosaurus

Re:A Saturday afternoon on the western side of Connecticut Wed, 03/25/09 10:50 AM (permalink)
                            FCF - You are correct.  It is also practically across the street from Ice Cream Shop; http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Overview.aspx?RefID=1497

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                              • No New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                              • Read Message
                              • Post New Thread
                              • Reply to message
                              • Post New Poll
                              • Submit Vote
                              • Post reward post
                              • Delete my own posts
                              • Delete my own threads
                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com