The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Dollar Store Frozen French Fries/Onion Rings

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
Dollar Store Frozen French Fries/Onion Rings Tue, 03/31/09 12:42 PM (permalink)
While not many 'dollar stores' will let you have a bag of frozen french fries or onion rings for a dollar anymore (its more like $1.29 now; but Dollar Tree still holds the line), there are some diamonds in the rough there. For years now, stores that sold "budget foods" had bags of frozen french fry products and onion rings for sale. Some of the brand names are Interstate, TJ Farms, Hailey's Harvest. The names on the bags are all those of brokers. They seem to market the culls of large manufacturers.

Interstate and the budget line of TJ Farms are known as sub-Grade A. The bag contents consist of tiny chips of potato products which tend to not cook evenly. But Hailey's Harvest are a different story. While their bags also contain tiny pieces, they appear to be culls of high-end food service products. It suggests Lamb Weston, which are better than the mass market consumer brands such as Ore-Ida and McCain's.

If I find some Hailey's Harvest products at Dollar Tree or another store that still sells them for a dollar, what I do is hand-select the large pieces and throw away the tiny pieces of potato. I also find that baking them rather than frying keeps them from getting burnt.

Does anyone else have experience with budget brands of frozen french fries/onion rings?

<message edited by David_NYC on Wed, 04/1/09 8:48 AM>

drpep

• Total Posts: 335
    Re:Dollar Store Frozen French Fries/Onion Rings Tue, 03/31/09 8:54 PM (permalink)
    when I worked in a grocery store we sold TJ farms then Interstate. A fried and i would split a bag on lunch break. We called these Ore Ida's floor sweepings.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
      • No New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
      • Locked w/ New Messages
      • Locked w/o New Messages
      • Read Message
      • Post New Thread
      • Reply to message
      • Post New Poll
      • Submit Vote
      • Post reward post
      • Delete my own posts
      • Delete my own threads
      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com