Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Day Trip in Eastern NC for BBQ w/Pics

Mags81

• Total Posts: 82
  • Roadfood Insider
Day Trip in Eastern NC for BBQ w/Pics Mon, 04/6/09 11:18 AM (permalink)
On Sat. 4/4/09, took a day trip from Va Beach, Va to New Bern, Nc for a number of reasons with one of them being of course...trying some different BBQ spots! 

First stop was Bunn's BBQ in Windsor, Nc.  I arrived there about 12:30 or so and looks like I had just beat the lunch rush.

Definitely an old, unique building...one of the most interesting BBQ buildings that I've been in...right there up with GA Pig, Skylight Inn and B's who are all also very unique in their own way.

I went into the room to left as you walk in and sat down at the counter.  I ordered the large BBQ plate with sweet tea and just a couple minutes later...out it came!

The cole slaw wasn't chopped real fine and not at all on the sweet side like you'd get it at Skylight Inn or B's.  It was actually real tangy...but still real good.

The corn bread was similar to what you would get at Skylight Inn but Skylights version is better.  As for the BBQ itself...it was good, not really great but still decent.  However, what I really liked was the BBQ sauce!  It was really good, maybe some of the best tasting Eastern NC style I've had! 

Walking away from the building...had to get one last shot

However, I didn't walk away without dessert!  Had to try their coconut custard pie!

I've got to tell you...it was awesome!  I'm glad I snagged a piece while I was there.

I ate it in the car...before leaving.  I almost went back in for another slice but figured I'd try to save some room for later in the day.

Overall it was a good stop...I'd definitely go back but not so much for the BBQ itself.  I really enjoyed the sauce, the pie and the actually building which you could tell had so much history.

Next stop...Moore's (Old Time) BBQ in New Bern, Nc

This billboard is located just across the street (Hwy 17) from the actual restaurant.

Took a shot of the front of the building as I was walking up...nothing special, just your typical structure

However, I did take a look around the side of the building and noticed the furnace room...which was pretty neat!

Then behind the furnace room was of course....all the wood! Piles and piles of it...I think there was even some more behind the stacks that you see in this picture.

I then walked in...placed my order at the counter and went heading off to the furthest room to the left.  You can see the counter where you order where you first walk in.

Two bottles of sauce sitting on the table...one for the BBQ and I believe the other was for the ribs.

I ordered the small BBQ plate

and the half rack of ribs (since they were only available on Saturdays, I figured I'd try 'em out)

The cole slaw was ok...very traditional...nothing special.  The BBQ was real good...I thought it was definitely better than Bunn's but there are still at least a handful of Eastern NC BBQ spots that are better.  The ribs were good, the portion was huge for a 1/2 rack...I couldn't imagine how big the full rack would have been!  The meat fell right off the bone almost immidiately as you touched them.  However they were pre-sauced (with what seemed to be two different kinds of sauces).  Definitely too much sauce...way too much sauce.  I would definitely order them again but without any sauce...It was good sauce but I'd definitely want to put my own on next time around.

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
    Re:Day Trip in Eastern NC for BBQ w/Pics Mon, 04/6/09 11:42 AM (permalink)
    Beautiful--that is a big serving for a half-rack.  I want those hush puppies and cole slaw right now.

Mags81

• Roadfood Insider
      Re:Day Trip in Eastern NC for BBQ w/Pics Mon, 04/6/09 11:49 AM (permalink)
      Not only was the portion of the ribs so big (for a 1/2 rack) but they were only $6.99!  Around here in VA, a 1/2 rack usually goes for somewhere between $12-$14.  Those pups were pretty good though...since I had so much "real food" in front of me and saved the pups in a bag and brought them back home for a late day snack!

Buffalo Tarheel

Re:Day Trip in Eastern NC for BBQ w/Pics Mon, 04/6/09 12:19 PM (permalink)
        Thanks for the great report and hunger-inducting pictures.  When we were in Ahoskie (NC) for Christmas vacation we had Bunn's barbeque waiting for us, and is definitely is some fine eating.  That was a good way to start a vacation and looks like a good day trip for you.

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
          Re:Day Trip in Eastern NC for BBQ w/Pics Mon, 04/6/09 12:48 PM (permalink)
          Great report and pictures too,I always stop by Moores for a BBQ Sandwich on my way to the OBX.They have some mighty fine Chicken too.

Mags81

• Roadfood Insider
            Re:Day Trip in Eastern NC for BBQ w/Pics Mon, 04/6/09 1:00 PM (permalink)
            jellybear

Great report and pictures too,I always stop by Moores for a BBQ Sandwich on my way to the OBX.They have some mighty fine Chicken too.

I thought they had Chicken...but I guess just couldn't find it on the menu?  Or maybe they sub the Ribs for the Chicken on Saturdays?  Yea, I'd definitely give the chicken a try next time around...

Ahi Mpls.

• Total Posts: 922
              Re:Day Trip in Eastern NC for BBQ w/Pics Mon, 04/6/09 1:16 PM (permalink)

Would you please STOP!!!!   I have no access to a platter of goodness even remotely resembling that !!! you big meanie... You're killin' me!   Dawn

MiamiDon

Re:Day Trip in Eastern NC for BBQ w/Pics Mon, 04/6/09 2:42 PM (permalink)
                Great report with some fine photography, s_b_man18!

Those hushpuppies jumped out at me, too.

Definitely a LOT of sauce on those ribs.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com