The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Blueberry Glut

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
Blueberry Glut Thu, 04/9/09 4:55 PM (permalink)

The Associated Press is reporting a glut of blueberries in the U.S. due to imports

of the same and a resulting as well as looming price drop in this year's crop, FYI.

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4896
    Re:Blueberry Glut Thu, 04/9/09 5:34 PM (permalink)
    Here in Dallas, we're lucky we have a few stores selling blueberries from New Jersey during the middle of the summer. I wait all year for those NJ blues. There're the best in the land! Bigger and sweeter than the smaller, tart beauties from Maine. Which I've never seen in Dallas except in frozen form.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3662
      Re:Blueberry Glut Thu, 04/9/09 6:32 PM (permalink)
      In my opinion, nothing beats the blueberries from Maine.  They have a wonderful true blueberry flavor.  My daughter in law and I discussed this a couple of months ago and I bought some regular large blueberries from the supermarket and  some from  Maine (frozen)  from  Trader Joe's.  There was a world of difference in the taste.  The Maine blueberry pie blew the other one away.

seafarer john

Re:Blueberry Glut Thu, 04/9/09 6:51 PM (permalink)
        The smaller the blueberry the better the blueberry - the best are the ones you pick yourself at a blueberry patch. Sadly, there's none left here in the Hudson Valley, except the natural patches growing wild on the Shawangunk ridge. Whole families used to make a major part of their yearly income picking those berries - no more...

Cheers, john 

Tony Bad

Re:Blueberry Glut Thu, 04/9/09 7:15 PM (permalink)
          Greymo

In my opinion, nothing beats the blueberries from Maine.  They have a wonderful true blueberry flavor.  My daughter in law and I discussed this a couple of months ago and I bought some regular large blueberries from the supermarket and  some from  Maine (frozen)  from  Trader Joe's.  There was a world of difference in the taste.  The Maine blueberry pie blew the other one away.

I agree! 

Sadly, according to a guy in a town that bills itself the blueberry capitol of the world...and is oddly enough called Cherryfield...the Maine berries don't travel well, which is why they never reach market as fresh fruit. 

When I have traveled up into north eastern ME in August you will sometimes find roadside stands, unattended, with a can for you to leave the money, selling local berries. What a treat!

tmizerek

• Total Posts: 77
            Re:Blueberry Glut Thu, 04/9/09 7:40 PM (permalink)
            I started picking a few blueberries from my 3 bushes about 2 weeks ago here on So Cal. My crop this year will be huge. Home grown are the best.

stricken_detective

• Total Posts: 2330
              Re:Blueberry Glut Fri, 04/10/09 12:31 AM (permalink)
              Boo hoo hoo.
              NOT!!!!
              I love love love love LOVE blueberries & am very happy to hear this news. Thank you for posting this. I can't wait to eat them this summer. Pancakes, in fruit salad, But mostly just raw, freshly washed. DELICIOUS!!!!!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com