Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Best Fish Sandwich(es)

Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 114 of 114
i95

• Total Posts: 2500
RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Sun, 12/28/03 7:16 PM (permalink)
Ugh, I'm nauseous from that information, chezkatie.

lleechef

• Total Posts: 6254
    RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Mon, 12/29/03 12:34 PM (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

quote:
    Originally posted by jm199

I lived in Greentree so we were neighbors. What was the name of that seafood place at the bottom of Greentree Road? On the way to Bridgeville?

Wright's Seafood House

Thanks, wj, I haven't eaten there in yeeeeaaaarrrrss but it was always good and the place was always PACKED.

seafarer john

RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Mon, 12/29/03 5:19 PM (permalink)
      Yes, I've been across the Arctic circle. We delivered stores to the American base at Thule, Greenland in August. ( I think we loaded at Quonset Point, RI) We were accompanied by icebreakers the last part of the trip. Not to break ice, but to keep us off the really big icebergs all over that part of the ocean. And, no, it was not pretty, I'd a Hell of a lot sooner been in the Caribbean, but jobs were scarce that Summer, so I got a trip to the frozen north, a nearly dry airbase, and not a woman in sight- call that pretty?

Sushi_Girl

• Total Posts: 228
        RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Fri, 01/23/04 2:52 PM (permalink)
        I ate the best grouper sandwich that came on this giant wheat roll, with lettuce tomato and homemade tartar sauce along side this giant plate of Onion Rings to die for...i had these heavenly yummies down in key west,,and i cant remember where! i think it was this place called Trumans? The grouper was so sweet and tender and grilled to perfection. the onion rings were crisp and HUGE and were great dipped in an extra side of the Tartar sauce.

i95

RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Fri, 01/23/04 3:39 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by i95

A grouper sandwich at Waldo's in Vero Beach, Florida for me !

quote:
          Originally posted by Sushi_Girl

I ate the best grouper sandwich that came on this giant wheat roll, with lettuce tomato and homemade tartar sauce along side this giant plate of Onion Rings to die for...i had these heavenly yummies down in key west,,and i cant remember where! i think it was this place called Trumans? The grouper was so sweet and tender and grilled to perfection. the onion rings were crisp and HUGE and were great dipped in an extra side of the Tartar sauce.

There's just something about those Florida grouper sandwiches !!

jbburn

• Total Posts: 19
            RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Fri, 01/23/04 4:21 PM (permalink)
            For what is worth if you went to the University of Illinois or lived in the Champaign Urbana area there was a bar/billiard hall on Green street DeLuxe I think it was that served marvelous fish sandwiches on Fridays.Don't know if its still there though doubt it .

jm199

• Total Posts: 215
              RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Tue, 02/17/04 4:20 PM (permalink)

Just think. Lent starts a week from tomorrow. For all us good little catholic boys and girls, that means it is time to eat non-meat meals on Fridays, and Ash Wednesday. Tuna fish casserole, cheese pizza, and my favorite, fish sandwiches, top the list. Let the church fish fries and restaurant specials begin!

emsmom

• Total Posts: 955
                RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Wed, 03/24/04 1:14 PM (permalink)
                I have a couple places that I like their fish sandwiches.
                1-The Shrimp Boat-we have one located in Gastonia, NC but I have seen them all down the East Coast, especially in Florida. The use a Cod Filet and serve it on at bun with a really good coleslaw instead of tartar sauce.
                2- Another unique fish sandwich is at The Chicken Coop in Charlotte, NC. It is a hole in the wall, but is very popular even for Executives to pick up their lunch. The fish sandwich consists of about 6 pieces of fish piled on a bun with tartar sauce. A meal in itself.

Bill B.

• Total Posts: 322
                  RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Wed, 03/24/04 2:44 PM (permalink)
                  Here's a bit of hard-earned advice: If reading through this thread makes you hungry for a good fish sandwich, don't expect to satisfy the craving at Burger King! Bleah! What a tasteless, soggy mess.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                    RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Wed, 03/24/04 3:02 PM (permalink)
                    As an aside the local paper has of late begun to claim that a local mcdonald's franchisee back in the 60's started the whole fried fish sandwich thing when he decided to offer it to his largely catholic customers and it was a hit. Supposedly, the offerring became the filet-o-fish we know of today.

The article in the paper went so far as to name this sandwich the 'Cincinnati-style fish sandwich'. I am not at all sure I'd go that far :-), surely other places offerred breaded fried fish sandwiches before then.

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 890
                      RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Wed, 03/24/04 3:18 PM (permalink)
                      quote:
                      Originally posted by Poverty Pete

Sundancer, can you provide more info on the Nashville area? I've been here a year now, but still getting to know my way around town.

With regards to fish sammiches, try Bolton's Spicy Chicken & Fish or Mary's Barbecue both of which have excellent hot fish sammiches... I'm pretty sure there is another place out there that I am forgetting... If I think of it, I'll add it later...

Phishmonger

• Total Posts: 217
                        RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Wed, 03/24/04 3:50 PM (permalink)
                        For the greatest fish sandwich, it's The Sea Basket Restaurant on Route 1 in Wiscasset, Maine. Freshly convection fried haddock on a soft roll. Excellent! They are also famous for their Lobster Stew. You can even purchase their lobster stew base to take home and add your own cream. Decadent!

i95

RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Sun, 06/7/09 10:10 PM (permalink)

i95

A grouper sandwich at Waldo's in Vero Beach, Florida for me !

I'd like to change my answer...

...and as I had the best fish sandwich I ever ate yesterday.

While normally most a fan of a simple, unadorned grilled fish sandwich, the specialty served-up at Eastport, Maryland's (just a drawbridge away from the neighboring and larger Annapolis) Boatyard Bar & Grill (Severn Avenue & 4th Street, 410 / 216-6206) blew me away.

While not on the restaurant's web site, it's named after Maryland native and Olympic gold medalist swimmer Michael Phelps (insert joke here) and features a filet of flounder dredged in crushed corn flakes then deep fried, The finished product is then layered in delicious pannini bread and topped with muenster cheese, baby spinach, tomato, avocado and mango-mayo then the whole thing is put into a hot pannini press and, well, pressed. The final product: pure heaven.

Just thought you should know. 

<message edited by i95 on Mon, 06/8/09 8:00 AM>

i95

Re:The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Tue, 06/9/09 2:14 PM (permalink)

Oops! I forgot to

mention that the

price for the above

delicacy was, I think,

$ 9.95. FYI.

Davydd

• Total Posts: 6227
                              RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Tue, 06/9/09 2:25 PM (permalink)
                              wanderingjew

[id="quote"]quote: [id="quote"]Originally posted by CheeseWit

If there's a "best" fish sandwich, there has to be a worst. My nomination: Gefilte fish between two pieces of matzo.

[id="quote"]

Hows about lutefisk between two pieces of lefse. Oh, wait, that's another thread!

I didn't realize wanderingjew's obsession went back this far. SIX years!
                              <message edited by Davydd on Tue, 06/9/09 2:27 PM>

divefl

• Total Posts: 1671
                                RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Tue, 06/9/09 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                Fried, huh? Not smoked? Are you sure?

Couldn't resist. Sounds good.

c abro

• Total Posts: 4
                                  RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Sat, 07/18/09 11:38 AM (permalink)
                                  Ort. Carlton.

Dearfolk,
                                  The best fish sandwich I ever had was a floating pig at Mae's Whiz [All around] on West Market Street in Louisville, Kentucky about 3:30 A. M. one drizzly morning. A floating pig, obviously obtainable nowhere else, was a breaded, seasoned whiting filet topped with cheese and bacon and served on some sort of long, chewy roll.
                                  It makes me wonder if that place, run by three sisters from Cub Run, Kentucky, is still there....
                                  Nostalgically, Ort. Carlton in Floating Pig-less Athens, Georgia.

My neice tipped me off to this post about Mae's. Mae was my Aunt and in all likelyhood was the person that served up your Floating Pig since she worked the graveyard shift most nights. Sadly she, nor her baby sister are any longer with us, as well as the restaurant. The middle sister (my mother) is still living and asked me to tell you that she and Mae were born in Taylorsville, Kentucky while the youngest sister, Peggy was born in Louisville. It was Mae's husband at the time that was from Cub Run. The restaurant closed in the late eighties or early nineties, after a run of nearly 30 years. We can't remember exactly. I know the OP is old but I was asked to help set the record straight. My mother was amazed that the Whiz (as we called it) was still evoking memories after all these years. Thanks for the kind words. If the place was still open, I'd send you a Floating Pig on the house. 

Captain Morgan

• Total Posts: 503
                                    RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Sat, 07/18/09 12:29 PM (permalink)
                                    C abro, that's great that you came to this forum...I hope
                                    you realize how big an impact your family made on people's lives.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                                      RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Sat, 07/18/09 4:44 PM (permalink)
                                      The best one I have ever had in my life:

http://www.greyhoundtavern.com/

Food and Spirits since 1921
                                      2500 Dixie Highway, Fort Mitchell, KY.  41017
                                      (859) 331-3767    (859) 331-3409 (fax)

Sandwiches 

All sandwiches are complimented with potato chips, cole slaw and  pickle.

Fried Cod 
                                      Genuine hand battered cod, fried to a golden brown served with lettuce, tomato and tartar sauce. 9.25

greyhoundtavern@fuse.net

<message edited by NYPIzzaNut on Sat, 07/18/09 4:48 PM>

i95

Re:The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Fri, 10/23/09 8:16 PM (permalink)

NEW ENTRY:

Washington Post food critic Tom Sietsema's review of the place last month (including his hailing of the place as one which "pays serious attention to the sometimes-overlooked details that determine why you choose one restaurant over another that's similar") got me there last night but it will be the place's FANTASTIC fresh grouper sandwich on a house-made bun which will get back to Bethesda, Maryland's new Woodmont Grill (7715 Woodmont Avenue, Bethesda 20814, 301 / 656-9755).

Yes, Woodmont Grill is part of a larger "restaurant group" but that didn't seem to negatively influence either the cool, clubby vibe of the place (jazz trio included) or the freshness of my sandwich. Fresh, flaky grouper, lightly breaded in panko breadcrumbs and fried to the point where the fish simply melts in your mouth. At $ 15 and including your choice of a number of sides (I had haricot verts [yes, Bethesda-speak for green beans] which were perfectly steamed and tossed in a light olive oil deressing with fingerling potatoes meanwhile Mrs. i95 had what she touted as very good steamed spinach).

I'd highly, highly recommend.

sonjaab

• Total Posts: 193
                                          RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Mon, 10/26/09 12:59 AM (permalink)
                                          If in or near Syracuse NY Jims fish fry on Wolf st. has fine fried fish sandwiches (usually haddock, cod or some other white fish) with fresh cut fries as does just about any other Syracuse resturant on any Friday night.
                                          If your in the West Palm Beach area a stop at John Gs on Lake Worth pier for a wonderful breakfast or lunch a fresh fried or broiled "catch of the day"
                                          fish sandwich (could be anything from grouper to red snapper) and a nice view of the beach and Atlantic Ocean!

bmcfeet

• Total Posts: 1
                                            RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Sun, 06/6/10 1:17 PM (permalink)
                                            Best fish sandwiches:  Wasabi Tuna from Sweet and Savory Bakery, Wrightsville Beach, NC or the Grouper Sandwich from 7 Mile Grill, Marathon, FL  or of course anything I catch and cook from NC to CR.

Eatallday

• Total Posts: 76
                                              RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Tue, 06/8/10 1:30 AM (permalink)
                                              i really like king's in peabody ma.  had one at kellys roast beef today, terrible.

MiamiDon

RE: The Best Fish Sandwich(es) Tue, 06/8/10 7:43 AM (permalink)
                                                [sniff] My favorite fish sandwich is no more.

It was the grouper sandwich at Monty Trainer's in Coconut Grove, Miami, Florida.  Preferably eaten outdoors near the docks, with an "island" band playing.   I just checked the menu, and they only offer breaded and fried tilapia, or grilled dolphin.

http://montysbayshore.com/

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                  Change Page: < 1234 | Showing page 4 of 4, messages 91 to 114 of 114

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                  • No New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                  • Read Message
                                                  • Post New Thread
                                                  • Reply to message
                                                  • Post New Poll
                                                  • Submit Vote
                                                  • Post reward post
                                                  • Delete my own posts
                                                  • Delete my own threads
                                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com