The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC

'QueperMan

• Total Posts: 45
Bum's BBQ, Ayden, NC Thu, 04/16/09 3:17 PM (permalink)
Being from Eastern NC, I have found that many people around here become unappreciative of all the great BBQ restaurants that surround them.  For instance, BUM'S BBQ in Ayden, NC is often overshadowed by the legendary Skylight Inn which is only a mile down the road.  I decided to give Bum's a try for the first time today...it was pretty outstanding.

Bum's is hailed for their fried chicken, banana pudding and especially their side items, more specifically, collards. The town of Ayden, NC is known as "The collard capital of the world" and even throws a Collard Festival every year.  With that said, it was a given that collards were on my list of side items. 

I ordered a large BBQ plate with collards, white slaw, and cornbread.  I found the BBQ even better than The Skylights.  The sign at Bum's said "Wood Cooked BBQ", which was not needed in writing because I smelled and tasted the smokey flavor right off the bat.  It was chunky and fairly lean with a few pieces of skin lingering around.  The collards were also fantastic, no vinegar needed.  The slaw was simple, creamy and sweet-- just how I like it.  The cornbread is almost identical to The Skylights and I have read that it is the same recipe...for some reason I preferred Bum's again-- 1/2 inch thick, crispy and not sweet.

Finally, after hearing so much about their banana pudding, I had to take one for the team and test it out.  It really was pretty good, served warm with real meringue  (not that whipped cream/cool whip mess).  It was really sweet and may have had some cinnamon in it.  Overall, the meal was more than awesome and I now have another favorite BBQ joint right in my own "backyard".

A little more info on Bum's...since there isn't a lot about it on the Web.  The most I have heard about it is in the book HOLY SMOKE which is all about NC BBQ.  Bum's is cafeteria style and serves different specials everyday.  I was hoping for a BBQ/BBQ chicken combo plate, but was told that BBQ chicken is served on Fridays, today's special seemed to be roast beef, but I saw a young guy in the back grilling up nice looking hamburgers which could also be used for a hamburger steak meal.

Many say the star of Bum's is the country style veggies.  From what I saw, there was of course collards, yams, mashed potatoes, green beans, cabbage, rutabagas, black eyed peas, cole slaw and potato salad (that's what I remember, there may have been more).  I would have loved to try some of the other veggies, but I must have cole slaw when I eat BBQ-- something about that combination.  Their fried chicken looked really good too, I did not see any Brunswick stew, but on the menu there was something called Chicken Stew...I may have to try this one out next time.

I have a few pics, but they are from my cell phone as I was not prepared to be Roadfooding today, but I mainly just wanted to get some info about Bum's out there and see if any of you fellow BBQ fans have ever tried it out and also get you thinking about some great Roadfood joints in your own areas.
<message edited by 'QueperMan on Thu, 04/16/09 5:59 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com