Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
BuddyRoadhouse
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4316
2009/04/17 16:56:25 (permalink)

Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show

CLTV, the local all news cable station, affiliated with WGN, has just started running The Cheese Burger Show, a weekly exploration of the best CBs in town.  Kevin Pang, a Chicago Tribune features reporter is the host (lucky guy).

This week they visit Top Notch Burger down on 95th Street in Chicago's Beverly neighborhood.  I've eaten there a number of times and never been disappointed.  Great old time diner atmosphere, hand made burgers from freshly ground beef, and shakes that'll knock yer socks off!  Well worth the drive down from the northwest suburbs.

The second stop of the show is Goldyburgers in Oak Park.  Once again, fantastic old world bar ambience, and hand made burgers that are worth traveling for.

Hang on to that link, I gotta believe it will update each week with each new show.

Buddy
post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/04/17 17:24:16

53 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8694
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/17 17:07:50 (permalink)
    Great, fun video, Buddy.I love when Kevin pretends he doesnt speak much English and then walks away from people, obviously speaking fine.LOL!
    brickie
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 226
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/17 18:18:10 (permalink)
    Loved it!

johnnymolson
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 90
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/17 19:03:35 (permalink)
    That is a beautiful thing...I will take notes as I am probably headed to Chicago in September.
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/17 19:09:25 (permalink)
    Buddy, thanks for posting this. For years I've known about Goldyburgers ( thanks to food critic Pat Bruno ), but I've never been inclined to make that long drive up to Forest Park. After watching that video, though, I guess I'll be heading up that way real soon... great looking burgers. And despite having a very disappointing experience at the short-lived Tinley Park branch of Top-Notch Beefburgers some years back, I'm gonna have to give the original a try. See y'all tomorrow!
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/21 17:06:40 (permalink)
    I saw an ad for The Cheeseburger Show when I was in town.  I even told buffetbuster about it.  I am glad that someone else posted the info, as I fear that he thought I was suffering from some sort of Chicago food-induced haze. 

As I mentioned to a friend that lives in Chicago, if I were able to host that show, I would consider moving to Chicago - at least for the warm months.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/21 17:55:38 (permalink)
    I think you'd need to wrestle Kevin Pang to the ground and beat him to death before he gave up that gig!

Should be a new episode coming up later this week.

Buddy
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3766
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/21 19:34:07 (permalink)
    I think I can take him.  He looks tiny.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/21 20:26:10 (permalink)
    Yeah, but he's scrappy, and he's fueled by both a Top Notch Beefburger and a Goldyburger.  Could be some tough competition.  Tell ya what, if you give me co-hosting duties, I'll stand there and hold your coat while you take him down.

Final offer-take it or leave it.

Buddy
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18937
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/21 21:22:04 (permalink)
    Absolutely fabulous! I loved the program. Thanks so much for posting it.

But I didn't know you had burgers in, what is it, Chicago?
    carolina bob
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3420
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/21 23:49:55 (permalink)
    Yes, Michael, we most definitely do have burgers in Chicagoland; in fact we have some of the best burgers to be found anywhere in the U.S. of A.   
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/22 00:20:49 (permalink)
    Michael,

Nothing of course that compares with a Beanie Burger at Gahanna Grill, but we make a respectable ground beef patty here in the ol' Windy.  Maybe you could come for a visit and we could show you what pizza and hot dogs (without ketchup) are supposed to taste like.

Glad you liked the show.

Not sucking up,

Buddy
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/22 09:15:52 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

Michael,

Nothing of course that compares with a Beanie Burger at Gahanna Grill, but we make a respectable ground beef patty here in the ol' Windy.  Maybe you could come for a visit and we could show you what pizza and hot dogs (without ketchup) are supposed to taste like.

Glad you liked the show.

Not sucking up,

Buddy

Would you believe I don't care much for the Beanie Burger? I usually order just a cheeseburger with grilled onions. Same thing without the garden and the bacon.

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/22 13:38:49 (permalink)
    I agree.  The Beanie Burger was a bit of overkill for me; too much food, too difficult to physically manage.  I think I made note in my post from that visit on the 2008 Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Tour, that there was a "second tier" burger, one level below the Beanie that seemed to offer all the burger goodness without the undue mess and needless extras.  Probably the very burger you mention.  Although I wouldn't mind the bacon.

If I ever get back to Gahanna (and I'll let you know if I do), I think that will be my option.  Followed by a scoop of raspberry chocolate chip ice cream at the local Graeter's outpost.

Buddy
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10404
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/22 13:50:35 (permalink)
    When are they gonna do the "Chee Burger!!  Chee Burger!!" place?
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5230
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/22 13:55:46 (permalink)
    Hmmm...Kevin Pang is defined as tiny yet scrappy.

Buddy, is he any relation to the former Hawk goalie?
    Brad
    GNeedles59
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/22 14:17:26 (permalink)
    If it is the best, then why is it called the second city? :P
    Just playing, thanks for the link, I live for this type of stuff.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/22 14:43:20 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

I agree.  The Beanie Burger was a bit of overkill for me; too much food, too difficult to physically manage.  I think I made note in my post from that visit on the 2008 Roadhouse Bar-B-Que Sauce Tour, that there was a "second tier" burger, one level below the Beanie that seemed to offer all the burger goodness without the undue mess and needless extras.  Probably the very burger you mention.  Although I wouldn't mind the bacon.

If I ever get back to Gahanna (and I'll let you know if I do), I think that will be my option.  Followed by a scoop of raspberry chocolate chip ice cream at the local Graeter's outpost.

Buddy

That's the Academy Burger. It has Swiss cheese, bacon and grilled onions. All the burgers have the same size patty and bun. By the way, their blue cheese burger isn't half bad, either. 

Yes, do let me know. Too bad you can't get up to Utica, about 20 miles northeast of Gahanna to sample some of the ice cream at the Velvet Ice Cream place. Now that's really good stuff. Many people like it better than Graeter's.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/22 16:34:49 (permalink)
    FoodbmeWhen are they gonna do the "Chee Burger!!  Chee Burger!!" place?
    I don't know that they will do The Billy Goat Tavern.  Frankly, if not for the ambience and history, The Billy Goat would not be on the radar for top quality Cheeseburgers.  Good, mind you, but not great.  Not Cheese Burger Show great, anyway.

Buddy
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10404
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/23 00:16:06 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

I don't know that they will do The Billy Goat Tavern.  Frankly, if not for the ambience and history, The Billy Goat would not be on the radar for top quality Cheeseburgers.  Good, mind you, but not great.  Not Cheese Burger Show great, anyway.

Buddy

That is interesting because when I Goggled "Chee Burger, Chee Burger' I got a chain based in Ft. Myers, FL  by that name, but no reference to the Orignal in Chicago! The chain has no locations in IL!!!!
    http://cheeburger.com/home2/index.asp
    The Billy Goat Tavern didn't even come up on the first page of Google!!
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/23 00:24:45 (permalink)
    Foodbme

BuddyRoadhouse

Buddy

That is interesting because when I Goggled "Chee Burger, Chee Burger' I got a chain based in Ft. Myers, FL  by that name, but no reference to the Orignal in Chicago! The chain has no locations in IL!!!!
    http://cheeburger.com/home2/index.asp
    The Billy Goat Tavern didn't even come up on the first page of Google!!

First of all I agree with Buddy that except for ambiance and history it is not a great cheeseburger. I say it sadly because I was in many ways taught to drink alcohol at that bar and miss it and the person who taught me. Still enjoy going to the Goat when in Chicago but frequently just for s drink and then off to somewhere for dinner.

The reason that google didnt come up with it is to Chicagoans it is usually spelled cheeseborger chesseborger as the link below explains

http://askville.amazon.com/Cheeseborger-bit-actual-Billy-Goat-Tavern/AnswerDetails.do?requestId=7523761&responseId=7601084

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/23 00:28:41 (permalink)
    There's actually some debate about the origin of the "cheezboorger, cheezboorger" catchphrase from SNL.  Some say that it, and the diner represented in the sketch had nothing to do with The Billy Goat and was instead a small restaurant owned by one of John Belushi's relatives out in Chicago's southwest suburbs, Olympia Hills, I believe.

Sam Sianis, owner of The Billy Goat, seeing an opportunity, since he and all his employees talked like that anyway, co-opted the phrase and used it to catapult them to fame and fortune beyond the boozing of local journalists from the Tribune, Sun-Times, Daily News, and The American.

Then there's other folks who swear it started at The Billy Goat and that's all there is to it.

As for me, I don't much care.  Like I said, The Billy Goat has rich history, great ambience below street level, and a pretty good burger.  I don't go there often, but I've had my share of fun in that subterranean hang-out.

Buddy
    jfitz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/23 05:09:01 (permalink)
    What about  Five Guy's in Oak Park and Naperville and 1 other location I can't remember . Them Cheeseburgers ain't chopped liver !
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10513
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/23 07:50:43 (permalink)
    The Travelin Man

I saw an ad for The Cheeseburger Show when I was in town.  I even told buffetbuster about it.  I am glad that someone else posted the info, as I fear that he thought I was suffering from some sort of Chicago food-induced haze. 
    Oh, I believed you, although I do still think you were suffering from a Chicago food-induced haze.

Ate at Goldyburgers about three years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and the burger.

JDofDE
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 54
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/23 10:03:36 (permalink)
    Meier's Tavern in Glenview. Haven't had one in 3 years (I relocated), but their cheeseburger with grilled onions (they pile them on) on Black Bread is very Roadfood worthy. Served with tater-tots and Harp on tap.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/23 13:16:38 (permalink)
    jfitzWhat about  Five Guy's in Oak Park and Naperville and 1 other location I can't remember . Them Cheeseburgers ain't chopped liver !
    They're also part of a chain; a non-local chain to boot!  Who knows though, they might make it over there at some point.

The print version of the show came out in today's Chicago Tribune.  They went upscale this week, visiting David Burke's Prime House and Capital Grille; $12 and $14, respectively.  The video version should premiere on Friday if it's not already out TODAY!  In fact, here it is!

Buddy

post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/04/23 13:28:34
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/23 13:23:51 (permalink)
    buffetbuster,

Goldyburgers was a favorite during a period when we were visiting Oak Park about once a week.  Even though it is a bar, it is very family friendly, and as you said, filled with great atmosphere.

JDofDE,

I used to work in Glenview and frequented Meier's Tap many times.  I agree with your assessment of the food.  Even better though, was The Glenview House.  We must have eaten there three times a week, the burgers were so good.  Haven't been back in years.

The other place in Glenview that made this sleepy suburb a Burger Mecca, was Grandpa's Saloon.  I never oredered anything bigger than a 1/2 pounder, but they had a full one pound burger on the menu that, as I understand it, was little more than a giant meatball, grilled and served on a bun.  The half pounders were plenty good, and even my youth, the idea of consuming a full pound of ground beef didn't appeal.

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/04/23 13:25:16
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10513
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/23 13:33:37 (permalink)
    Buddy-
    As good as the burgers are at Goldyburgers, I don't recommend ChiTownDiner pay it a visit.  There are White Sox posters all over the place and they might not appreciate a Cubs fan in enemy territory!
    post edited by buffetbuster - 2009/04/23 15:13:32
    smokestack lightning
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 303
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/23 15:09:53 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse

buffetbuster,

Goldyburgers was a favorite during a period when we were visiting Oak Park about once a week.  Even though it is a bar, it is very family friendly, and as you said, filled with great atmosphere.

JDofDE,

I used to work in Glenview and frequented Meier's Tap many times.  I agree with your assessment of the food.  Even better though, was The Glenview House.  We must have eaten there three times a week, the burgers were so good.  Haven't been back in years.

The other place in Glenview that made this sleepy suburb a Burger Mecca, was Grandpa's Saloon.  I never oredered anything bigger than a 1/2 pounder, but they had a full one pound burger on the menu that, as I understand it, was little more than a giant meatball, grilled and served on a bun.  The half pounders were plenty good, and even my youth, the idea of consuming a full pound of ground beef didn't appeal.

Buddy

Wow Hadn't thought of Meieirs in years. Great place. Did any of you ever try Beinlich's in Northbrook or Harry's Grill in Deerfield?
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Just one more reason Chicago is the greatest city on Earth-The Cheese Burger Show 2009/04/23 15:22:30 (permalink)
    buffetbuster,
    Once CTD licks his current situation he will be able to withstand anything!  Sox fans will bounce off of him like bullets bounce off of Superman!

smokestack lightning,
    Certainly been to Beinlich's, never even heard of Harry's Grill in Deerfield.  Any specifics you can share?  Address and other vital information?  Favorite thing on the menu?  Past, personal experiences there?

Buddy
    post edited by BuddyRoadhouse - 2009/04/23 15:23:35
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1