The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

The Works Loveland Ohio

baughman

• Total Posts: 115
The Works Loveland Ohio Fri, 05/1/09 2:37 AM (permalink)
 I had avoided the place for a year or so. Since 99% of places that list brick ovens let me down.I go in hoping for the rustic Italian woodfired and you get some cheap knockoff .

I saw they got the award for best pizza in Cinci last year and figured it was time to drag the wife there.

First thoughts were on the up and up. Love the lay out, all the beers on tap, the oven is center piece as it should be. Noticed it was gas fired not woodfired, but owell.  Cyclists sat outside enjoying the late April weather. Was def giddy to go try it out. The tables all have diffrent things painted on them. Def a nice funky feel to it.

The server was awesome, I wish I could remember the young kids name. Def one of my fav servers in along time.

We started with loaded fries. My wife loves loaded fries no matter were we go. So it tends to always be the appetizer. Fries were good( frozen not fresh tho) The cheese sauce was great. It was more of a gravy then just melted cheese. It had melted cheese also tho. Def a + to start the meal.

We ordered a Margarita pizza for me. I always go with a basic pie the first time I go to a new place to get more of a feel for the dough. Diced Tomatos, fresh basil, and Mozzarella cheese, with an oil and garlic sauce.

Wife got a make your own pizza since she is a bit pickier on her topings. She got Chicken bacon and ham on hers.

Then my first ugggg moment came. I watched the guy DOCK the pizza. I actually said the F word, but figured i would be nice here. I knew instead of a nice light airy dough, with that nice char on the bottom.  I was now going to get a cracker thin crispy pizza.

It states on there website they cook at 600 which seems low to me, most woodfired/brick ovens tend to go higher 750ish for the most part it seems.

Pizzas came out and as I had stated it was def thin. The dough was basicly the nice char bottom with a gumline above, and then the toppings. I was sad but hoped the taste would be better.

The outer crust were they didnt dock was def a + it had that nice airyness I had wanted. I didnt ask but it def tastes like he might us a OO flour. It def had that faint powder feel to it. OR at least has OO in the mix. I am prob way wrong tho lol.

The rest of the pizza you had to force your teeth through the dough. The Margarita pizza def had good flavor. I love fresh basil on pizza. The dough was def the weak point. I would give it 5/10.  Pretty standard pizza, sad to say. I had high hopes.

The Pizza my wife had def had alot better flavor. Dough had the same problem. IF the whole pizza had the airyness of the crust it would climb 3 maybe even 4 points. One major draw back on her pizza. They put way to much toppings on it. There were parts of the pizza that sat 3 inches tall. With the crust only being a Centimeter at best it was def way to much on the topings. I would give her pizza a 6/10

Over all the setting and server had this place awesome. The pizza made me sad. I give it a 7/10 just for the over all feel of the place.

I guess I continue my search for a good rustic Italian pizza place in the cinci area. I would go back to try there other Entrees but prob wont be going back for the pizza. IF they could get the dough right this place could def turn into my fav place.

Thank you for getting through all my spelling and punctuation problems.

Anyone else eat here and have there own thoughts?

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
    Re:The Works Loveland Ohio Fri, 05/1/09 8:34 PM (permalink)
    good report about the pizzas, very specific, thanks. but please don't use text message spelling.
    what is all this def you are talking about?

baughman

Re:The Works Loveland Ohio Mon, 05/4/09 10:21 AM (permalink)
      sorry about that. definitely was what it was.

My spelling is pretty bad lol. So I shorten stuff sometimes.

donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
        Re:The Works Loveland Ohio Sat, 05/9/09 6:34 PM (permalink)
        What do you mean, "dock" the pizza?

KonaErnie

• Total Posts: 356
          Re:The Works Loveland Ohio Sat, 05/9/09 6:48 PM (permalink)
          donw9876

What do you mean, "dock" the pizza?

Poking holes in the dough to keep large air bubbles from forming. Makes for a thinner crust. Here's a picture that shows half of the dough that has been docked.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
            Re:The Works Loveland Ohio Wed, 09/23/09 3:53 PM (permalink)
            baughman

I guess I continue my search for a good rustic Italian pizza place in the cinci area. I would go back to try there other Entrees but prob wont be going back for the pizza. IF they could get the dough right this place could def turn into my fav place.

Check out  Dewey's Pizza:

http://www.deweyspizza.com/about

Best pizza in Cincinnati area - if in Dayton area you have Troni's Pizzeria:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/dayton/leadbelly/entries/2007/02/07/tronis_pizza_sa.html

Best pizza in the area.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
              Re:The Works Loveland Ohio Wed, 09/23/09 4:45 PM (permalink)
              I agree with NYP Dewey's and Tronis are both excellent Pies in Cincy and Dayton. Other than that Cincy is a Gastronomic Wasteland when it comes to pizza.
              You stated that you liked a fluffy crust. What is your current favorite pizza in the Cincinnatti area? Cincinnatti has been served cardboard for so long most don't even know what Pizza really is. LaRosas, Papa John's, Marions, Cassanos and others are not Pizza. The only thing they have in common with Pizza is the shape. I would rather eat the box a Troni's came in than the others...Russ

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                Re:The Works Loveland Ohio Wed, 09/23/09 4:58 PM (permalink)
                There are several other good places to get a pizza in the greater Cincinnati area.

Of course, the two of you are entitled to your opinions, no matter how ill-informed they might be.

Now what was being discussed here?

ah yes, The Works in Loveland.....

baughman

Re:The Works Loveland Ohio Sat, 11/14/09 2:59 PM (permalink)
                  cinci is a big wasteland. Deweys is ok, not great. For cinci it is prob top 3 sadly.
                    By fluffy i ment with a rustic pizza like most Wood/gasfired brick ovens are going for. That italian crust with the nice char under and the dough has an airy pocket filled crust. By this place docking it. It smashes the gluten stucture forming a thin gummy layer. All the work to make a nice crust is ruined by docking it.  Unless you are trying for a super thin crust then dock away I guess?
                      On a side not papa johns now does this and it has lowed its product also. Years ago they were all about the cell structure and fluff of the dough. you didnt dock at all, just hand stretch and top. The oven tender would pop big bubbles that formed with a dough hook. Now they dock the crap out of it so it wont bubble. The dough is still made the same. But if you order it now you will notice it has less height to it, do to this. Also less fluff and bite. Its pretty much thin chew bottom then toppings.
                    Man I have spent to many years working in pizza lol.
                    In Cinci I dont really have a favorite anymore. If we go out and the kids want a slice I might hit Flying Pizza on fields ertle.
                    We do make the drive from time to time for Rons in miamisburg. My wife has a craving for the real thin crust from time to time, and I do really like there thin with sausage on it. Actual sausage that is pulled and droped in little balls all over the pizza. Not pellets which is nice.
                    As for the works i have never gone back and prob wont.
                    My favorite style of pizza is NY, which I prob should make the trip to Troni's but havent yet. Years ago Flying Pizza use to be my favorite sub for NY Style, but something has changed in there dough recipe or something that has it a far cry from its yesteryear counterpart.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:The Works Loveland Ohio Sat, 11/14/09 3:25 PM (permalink)
                    baughman

cinci is a big wasteland. Deweys is ok, not great. For cinci it is prob top 3 sadly.
                      By fluffy i ment with a rustic pizza like most Wood/gasfired brick ovens are going for. That italian crust with the nice char under and the dough has an airy pocket filled crust. By this place docking it. It smashes the gluten stucture forming a thin gummy layer. All the work to make a nice crust is ruined by docking it.  Unless you are trying for a super thin crust then dock away I guess?
                        On a side not papa johns now does this and it has lowed its product also. Years ago they were all about the cell structure and fluff of the dough. you didnt dock at all, just hand stretch and top. The oven tender would pop big bubbles that formed with a dough hook. Now they dock the crap out of it so it wont bubble. The dough is still made the same. But if you order it now you will notice it has less height to it, do to this. Also less fluff and bite. Its pretty much thin chew bottom then toppings.
                      Man I have spent to many years working in pizza lol.
                      In Cinci I dont really have a favorite anymore. If we go out and the kids want a slice I might hit Flying Pizza on fields ertle.
                      We do make the drive from time to time for Rons in miamisburg. My wife has a craving for the real thin crust from time to time, and I do really like there thin with sausage on it. Actual sausage that is pulled and droped in little balls all over the pizza. Not pellets which is nice.
                      As for the works i have never gone back and prob wont.
                      My favorite style of pizza is NY, which I prob should make the trip to Troni's but havent yet. Years ago Flying Pizza use to be my favorite sub for NY Style, but something has changed in there dough recipe or something that has it a far cry from its yesteryear counterpart.

When you hit Troni's please let me know what you think - as far as crust changing over time I think the worst offender in Cinci is Mios - when I moved to Cinci in 1977 and lived in Mt Washington my favorite pizza joint was the Mios on Salem Ave - they made their crust and pizzas like I was used to back home in Yonkers - they did that til about 1984 - when I moved to the west side - I went into the newer Mios on that side of town once and about died when I tasted their pizza - the crust was a cracker and awful - terrible - I gave them the benefit of the doubt and checked out some other locations because Mios had been so very good and learned all of their locations use the cracker crust now and I was just totally shocked.  And mightily disappointed - I even asked someone at the original Mios about this change and they had no idea what I was even talking about.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                      Re:The Works Loveland Ohio Sat, 11/14/09 3:34 PM (permalink)
                      NYPIzzaNut

when I moved to Cinci in 1977 and lived in Mt Washington my favorite pizza joint was the Mios on Salem Ave

There was never a Mio's on Salem

Perhaps you have Salem confused with Sutton

NYPIzzaNut

Re:The Works Loveland Ohio Sat, 11/14/09 3:59 PM (permalink)
                        Russ Jackson

I agree with NYP Dewey's and Tronis are both excellent Pies in Cincy and Dayton. Other than that Cincy is a Gastronomic Wasteland when it comes to pizza.
                        You stated that you liked a fluffy crust. What is your current favorite pizza in the Cincinnatti area? Cincinnatti has been served cardboard for so long most don't even know what Pizza really is. LaRosas, Papa John's, Marions, Cassanos and others are not Pizza. The only thing they have in common with Pizza is the shape. I would rather eat the box a Troni's came in than the others...Russ

Where did you grow up, Russ?

Irenes

• Total Posts: 2
                          Re:The Works Loveland Ohio Sat, 11/14/09 9:34 PM (permalink)
                          Oh what a wonderful tip about the holes in the dough.  For anyone making their own, this is an interesting recipe to try: three cheese recipe  - just came across this.  Have you considered building your own wood fire stove?  I know many would consider this extreme, but it can be a wonderful project that can produce delicious pizza for years!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                            • No New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                            • Read Message
                            • Post New Thread
                            • Reply to message
                            • Post New Poll
                            • Submit Vote
                            • Post reward post
                            • Delete my own posts
                            • Delete my own threads
                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com