Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

OATMEAL PIE, A real Taste Treat !!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15062
  • Roadfood Insider
OATMEAL PIE, A real Taste Treat !! Mon, 05/4/09 3:01 PM (permalink)
Today we skipped out for a quiet lunch at a Little Cafe on the Square in Corydon, Indiana. (Leonard's), It is one of three cafes on the Town Square and can be a busy place during the Courthouse Breaks during the week. We enjoyed a cup of Chili(me) and Potato Soup (Jan) plus a good Burger served with some excellent Crispy Home Fries.  As we finished our meal I notice a chalk-board announcement about having either Blackberry or OATMEAL Pie for dessert.

We inquired of the server about the OATMEAL Pie as We had not heard, nor tasted it before. We were told it is often referred to as "Poor Man's Pecan Pie" as it consists of a sweet syrup base like a Pecan Pie, but they use Coconut and Oatmeal instead of the more expensive Pecans in the filling.

Naturally we had to try a piece. (Sorry, no camera at the table) It was a good-looking slice of warm pie that came out to us. The appearance of a slightly crusty top, but almost like Chess Pie that had been 'Browned' a bit. A couple of bites helped us identify both the Oatmeal and Coconut filling that had a strong sweet flavor that really reminded both of us of a Coconut Macaroon.

I would not have been able to eat more than one slice of this treat, as it was very sweet and rich!  Upon leaving the Cafe I called my Pie-Expert...Buffet Buster to describe the experience for him. It was a new pie-flavor for him as well, and I had to promise him a trip to Leonard's Cafe in Corydon when he returns to this area later this year !

Anyone else had any experience with this taste-treat???

PS- We also found a source for Red Rock Ginger Ale at a little Soda Fountain in Corydon on the same trip. Overall a very successful local roadtrip !!!

AL

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com