The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza

donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
Theory: Dayton style Pizza is a regional variation on NY Style Pizza Tue, 05/12/09 4:35 PM (permalink)
This is kind of a bookend to a debate that periodically rages on NY style pizza in the Cincinnati/N. KY thread about pizza.

A premise I have never read anywhere else:  I consider the Dayton thin crust, square cut pizzas - like classic Cassano's, classic Marion's, and Ron's (of today) to be a legitimate local variation of NY style pizza.

I've had Troni's from Kettering (fantastic) but my favorite local pie is Ron's.

Here is why I think this: the essence of a classic Dayton thin crust pizza IS the crust, in the same way that NY style pies are distinguished by their crust.

The attributes that I have read of an "excellent" NY slice are identical with well made Dayton pizza:

- Wafer thin crust
- Tight structure, not a lot of air
- Glutenous and chewy much more than crispy
- Light char on crust indicates excellent texture properties and taste
- Too many ingredients (more than 2 or 3, tops) compromise the crust structure and the whole experience.

Only high heat will do the trick. An old school Dayton pizza crust will blister directly underneath the (thin) sauce from extreme heat. I don't even know if this is a factor in NY style pizzas.

The local cheese of choice for this pizza is provolone (for whatever reason.) The pizza is always cut into little squares. I bet the product would be foldable if it were cut into slices.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Dayton has a legitimate local pizza culture the same way that Cincinnati has a chili culture.

Awaiting debunking, history lessons, flames, or even raging condescension...

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com