Bathroom Breaks on a cart

Author
Methais
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 142
2009/06/02 12:46:39 (permalink)

Bathroom Breaks on a cart

So I was thinking the other day...how do you cart guys go about taking bathroom breaks when you're the only person running the cart? Especially if you're in a location with no nearby bathrooms. I wouldn't think leaving the cart alone for any amount of time would be a smart move for obvious reasons, but....when you gotta go you gotta go right?

17 Replies Related Threads

cwood3
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 14:16:46 (permalink)
    ....with my swollen prostate, I could hold out till my bladder bursts.  Butt, there's still that other issue....." />
    Methais
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 142
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 16:00:13 (permalink)
    Doesn't an enlarged prostate actually make you have to go more and be able to hold out less?
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3751
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 16:25:51 (permalink)
    The hot dog vendor near us  is parked in an area without even a tree in sight.  I assume that he "depends"." />
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 18:25:38 (permalink)
    Why do you think they call them dirty water dogs?
    edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2110
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 18:31:23 (permalink)
    ..... Hummm ......   wear a Kilt and use a Bladder strapped to your leg!?! ......     ....

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18856
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 18:34:39 (permalink)
    That's what water bottles are for.
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 19:20:07 (permalink)
    Didn't they use Texas catheters on space travel before we invented the vacuum toilet. So ladies could travel, the leaps of unbound space.
    cwood3
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 106
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 19:30:39 (permalink)
    This may not be exactly in line with this thread, but way back in the day, when I would come home from the bar late and wa afraid of my ex, I used to just hang my leg in the toilet and pee down my leg so it wouldn't make any noise.  Now I just wet the bed, so what.
    That'sMyDawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 421
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 21:01:05 (permalink)
    Well I have not had a problem thus far. I force myself to go to the bathroom right as I walk out the door for work and I try not to drink a lot while working. I guess I would have to call a relative to come by and guard the cart for a few minutes.

To much a risk of someone messing with it or getting burned or something if it were left along on its own even for a few minutes.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 21:04:32 (permalink)
    Hey Mike, when I have one person on shift I have them lock the cash up and take care of business. If you have a van this could be an option......
    ptireland
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 21:27:06 (permalink)
    I understand people are trying to be cute, but I think this is a serous question.  I've never gotten a straight answer on this myself. 

Let's say you setup on a corner in an industrial park and you don't have access to a bathroom and that prune juice you drank in the morning is starting to kick in?  Do you have to tear everything down and pull your cart down the road just to use the bathroom?  And what if your need is a more sudden and urgent one?

I don't think using "depends" is a viable option, and if the health inspector happens by when you've got a stinky load in your pants, I think you might run into problems.

That'sMyDawg
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 421
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 21:35:35 (permalink)
    ptireland

I understand people are trying to be cute, but I think this is a serous question.  I've never gotten a straight answer on this myself. 

Let's say you setup on a corner in an industrial park and you don't have access to a bathroom and that prune juice you drank in the morning is starting to kick in?  Do you have to tear everything down and pull your cart down the road just to use the bathroom?  And what if your need is a more sudden and urgent one?

I don't think using "depends" is a viable option, and if the health inspector happens by when you've got a stinky load in your pants, I think you might run into problems.

I agree with you. My prior answer above is how i really handle it and would have to if I could'nt hold it until close. I could never break everything down with the hot water and pans quickly in a bathroom emergency so i would have to phone a relative. When I close up now I start shutting down 30 minutes before close because I want things to cool enough to handle, etc. When I pull off i am done so there is no setting back up after I have pulled food, dumped water and removed pans. I think no one is really answering because I fear they don't want to post what they really do for fear of backlash. I would like to find a better way then what I do know because I would like to drink more while working.
    ptireland
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 263
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 21:46:08 (permalink)
    I'm going to be working in HOT Florida weather where you sweat a gallon a day.  I will NEEEEED to drink a lot. 

Luckily my cart will be across from the Social Security building, though that bathroom is often busy.  I'd hate to have to run behind a tree to cop a squat in an emergency.
    quickdog
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 500
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/02 23:17:39 (permalink)
    Methais

So I was thinking the other day...how do you cart guys go about taking bathroom breaks when you're the only person running the cart? Especially if you're in a location with no nearby bathrooms. I wouldn't think leaving the cart alone for any amount of time would be a smart move for obvious reasons, but....when you gotta go you gotta go right?

I am suprised this hasn't been a topic before.  I do not think there is a real answer though. I guess you just have to either be parked close to a restroom, or have your own creative way of getting around this. I will be at a car wash so someone can just wach the cart while I run for a bathroom break.

If I did not have my situation and had no one to watch the cart I would invest in locks on my cart.  Maybe a lock on my sneeze guard. If you do not have a sneeze guard you can have one made to lock over your pans when you leave the cart unattended. Then I would lock the money box, chips and condiment tray in my car. Maybe set a caution cone on the hot side of the cart and shut off the burners. Make sure you lock that trailer ball so no one takes off with the cart.   

Another option would be to make friends with someone at a close business. Ask them if they can be your security guard when you hit the can. Just hook them up with a free meal once in awhile. 

post edited by quickdog - 2009/06/02 23:20:32
    Hot_dog
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 91
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/03 00:24:09 (permalink)
    One of the "hoops" you have to jump through here before you can get your vending permit is to furnish the city with a written contract between you and a business that will give you permission to use there restrooms. I figured that nothing is free so I made a offer of X amount of dollars a month up front to use there facilities. My monthly "rent" includes that they have someone keep a eye on my cart for no longer then 15 minutes when I am in dispose. Considering that I hardly use the bathroom and the cart is in full view of there store front window it is a good deal for them and for me as well.
    BillyB
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2851
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/03 08:54:14 (permalink)
    I go to Mexico and see people that run carts walking from an alley zipping up walking back to their cart. I know they all do it but seeing it is another thing. I enjoy eating off the carts because its a real authentic approach to Mexican street food. I also like clean and sanitary. I pick and choose wisely........I think, like anything else, you have to take this into consideration when picking a location. The only thing I see that would work is to have a family member or friend stop by every few hours to give you a break. Mike, this is another reason to get married......NOT......................Bill
    Curbside Grill
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3916
    Re:Bathroom Breaks on a cart 2009/06/04 02:17:59 (permalink)
    I joke about subject but HD requires me to be near public facilities. Not just park on the roadway anywhere, not for me but for my customers.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1