The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH

Soccer862923

• Total Posts: 208
Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Mon, 06/8/09 7:57 AM (permalink)
Recently a poll on activedayton.com has a list going for the best burger in Dayton. Several people in the comments lamented over the fact that Slyder's was not listed and my mom had commented on how good the burger there was as well as seeing numerous reviews on Yelp.com about their "fantastic" burgers.

After hearing so much I knew I had to just check it out. I walked in on a relatively slow Saturday night at around 5:30 pm and bellied up to the bar. It took one of the bartenders long enough to ask me what I wanted and if I needed a menu that I almost just walked out. I decided on a 10 oz cheeseburger with american cheese and all the fixins with an order of onion rings that my mom dearly loved. I was a bit disturbed by the fact that they didn't ask how I wanted it cooked and instead of pressing I figure they must cook them all to a certain degree and considering how beloved the burgers are I should just let it be.

What I ended up experiencing was a very mediocre burger in my opinion. It had an all too large sesame seed bun, and considering it was a 10 oz. burger I found it odd that the bun was too large. The meat seemed rather dried out and flavorless and the fact that the bottom bun never got the least bit soggy, which in my opinion is the sign of a good burger, attested to that. The burger was cooked medium well and it just seemed like overkill, especially for someone who usually orders their burgers medium rare.  The onion rings were alright but I can't say that they were all that outstanding or spectacular like my mom made them out to be.

What a shame for a place that is billed as having the best burger in Dayton and with so many good reviews. Any other's tried their burger? Did I possibly get a bad one or can I get it cooked to order?

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
    Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Mon, 06/8/09 5:33 PM (permalink)
    could your experience be the same that others have had and thats why it was excluded from the list?
    if a place doesn't ask you how you want your burger cooked, they ONLY will cook it to death.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
      Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Tue, 06/9/09 2:17 PM (permalink)
      I wonder how a hamburger joint can get away with being called "Slyder's," when White Castle has the trademark on that name?
      does this place pre-date White Castle?

Soccer862923

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Wed, 06/10/09 7:58 AM (permalink)
        Scorereader

I wonder how a hamburger joint can get away with being called "Slyder's," when White Castle has the trademark on that name?

I highly doubt it. Maybe they can get away with it because they don't actually serve "sliders" or the spelling is different. Either way White Castle would have probably been a better choice in the end. Very sad.

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
          Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Wed, 06/10/09 9:02 AM (permalink)
          First off welcome to the site. I live in the Dayton Area as well.
          I am really sorry you had a bad experience. I have been there many times and have not had the same experience. I would not let this one experience taint Slyders. Go back during the week. You may not have gotten the correct cook or a new one. I have never ordered the small burger ans that might have something to do with the overcooked situation. I consider Slyders one of if not the best burger in Dayton. Benjamins Burger Barn is also excellent. I will be at Slyders tonite.

You will also find this thread helpful for Dayton Area Places.
          http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Where-to-eat-in-Dayton-Ohio-North-of-Middletown-m379488.aspx

...Russ

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
            Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Wed, 06/10/09 9:12 AM (permalink)

I never believe anything written in YELP. Most of the people who add comments to reviewed businesses do not know what they are talking about. They are wannabe critics.
            You would do just as well asking someone while standing in a grocery line.

I had to take matters into hand when a family friend's business was getting slammed by a anonymous review. The review concerned a employee who never worked for her, but did work in a shop about 4 doors down. Other folks reading the review piped in what a horrible business and person she was.

I fixed that problem with a few pithy comments that caused those reviews to disappear.
            If I want a consensus of what is best, I only refer to the weekly papers as they have very good selection of what is best.
            For instance, the New Haven Advocate's rating for best pizza is Modern, Pepe's and Bar. They are correct.

mark

Foodosaurus

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Wed, 06/10/09 9:14 AM (permalink)

Great call Mark!

Russ Jackson

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Wed, 06/10/09 9:33 AM (permalink)
                If I want honest reviews for a local place I start here at roadfood.com first. If you ask you will get an answer. Plus if you search something will come up most of the time...Russ 

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
                  Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Wed, 06/10/09 4:45 PM (permalink)
                  Soccer862923

Scorereader

I highly doubt it. Maybe they can get away with it because they don't actually serve "sliders" or the spelling is different. Either way White Castle would have probably been a better choice in the end. Very sad.

White Castle's trademark is in the name "slyder" spelled the same.
                  In a trademark situation, it doesn't necessarily matter if it's not the exact same product, the name "Slyder" is synonymous with White Castle. Therefore, if I was White Castle's attorney I would consider any hamburger joint, or any restaurant for that matter, to be causing consumer confusion and therby infringing my company's trademark when using the name Slyder for the name of their establishment.

For example, a coffee shop in syracuse NY had to change it's name when they opened as "Federal Espresso," a coffee shop located two blocks from the downtown Federal Couthouse Building. They sold coffee and cafe foods, they did not ship items anywhere. Federal Express doesn't make coffee. Still, Federal Express served them a cease and desist letter and then a lawsuit, and the coffee shop changed their name.

<message edited by Scorereader on Wed, 06/10/09 4:52 PM>

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                    Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Wed, 06/10/09 4:56 PM (permalink)
                    doggydaddy

I never believe anything written in YELP. Most of the people who add comments to reviewed businesses do not know what they are talking about. They are wannabe critics.
                    You would do just as well asking someone while standing in a grocery line.

I had to take matters into hand when a family friend's business was getting slammed by a anonymous review. The review concerned a employee who never worked for her, but did work in a shop about 4 doors down. Other folks reading the review piped in what a horrible business and person she was.

I fixed that problem with a few pithy comments that caused those reviews to disappear.
                    If I want a consensus of what is best, I only refer to the weekly papers as they have very good selection of what is best.
                    For instance, the New Haven Advocate's rating for best pizza is Modern, Pepe's and Bar. They are correct.

mark
                    We are getting off the subject here -  this is about burgers in the greater Dayton area - not pizza in New Haven - if you wanna talk pizza in greater Dayton you have to talk about Troni's and Dewey's - none better.

Soccer862923

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Thu, 06/11/09 11:18 AM (permalink)
                      Russ Jackson

First off welcome to the site. I live in the Dayton Area as well.
                      I am really sorry you had a bad experience. I have been there many times and have not had the same experience. I would not let this one experience taint Slyders. Go back during the week. You may not have gotten the correct cook or a new one. I have never ordered the small burger ans that might have something to do with the overcooked situation. I consider Slyders one of if not the best burger in Dayton. Benjamins Burger Barn is also excellent. I will be at Slyders tonite.

You will also find this thread helpful for Dayton Area Places.
                      http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/Where-to-eat-in-Dayton-Ohio-North-of-Middletown-m379488.aspx

...Russ

You had mentioned something about the small burger and possibly being overcooked. The funny part is I got the larger burger which means that who ever cooked it almost had to really abuse that pattie. Such a shame as last night I had an excellent burger at "The Pub". They have quickly become my go to place as they will cook it right and the way I want it 99% of the time.

Russ Jackson

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Thu, 06/11/09 12:31 PM (permalink)
                        I am sorry they let you down. It happens at the best places. Make sure you give Slyders another chance. I bet they had the bar was named Slyder's long before White Castle Coined the phrase. It is a pretty old bar. I like the Pub also. Have you tried there Bloddy Mary. One of the Best...Russ
                        <message edited by Russ Jackson on Thu, 06/11/09 12:33 PM>

Soccer862923

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Thu, 06/11/09 1:23 PM (permalink)
                          Russ Jackson

I am sorry they let you down. It happens at the best places. Make sure you give Slyders another chance. I bet they had the bar was named Slyder's long before White Castle Coined the phrase. It is a pretty old bar. I like the Pub also. Have you tried there Bloddy Mary. One of the Best...Russ

I never have tried their Bloody Mary but thanks for the heads up. Been trying out a bunch of different brews lately and they have been really good, but I am a huge...HUGE Bloody Mary fan so I will definitely check em out.

Don't fear I will check out Slyder's again. Do you know do they cook their burgers to order or are they all cooked the same? Just would like to know before I go in an try and totally look like a fool.

Russ Jackson

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Thu, 06/11/09 1:30 PM (permalink)
                            They always ask me how I would like it cooked. But if they didnt I would tell them. 
                            Next time you make a Bloddy Mary try using Gin instead of Vodka. Use 50/50 V8 and Clamato. Worchester sauce. Rim the glass with the celery salt. Must be coarse cracked pepper(Some might think it wrong but I like actual pieces of cracked pepper in the drink. I use a motor and pestel to get the correct size) . A little anchovie paste. Horse raddish. Squeeze in half of a small Mexican thin skinned lime and drop it in. Pleanty of Hot Sauce non vinegar based. 1/4 pickle spear, whole celery stalk with foliage,3 big olives, crushed red pepper flakes. Serve in a very tall glass. A Bloody Mary is a side dish more than a drink....Russ
                            <message edited by Russ Jackson on Thu, 06/11/09 1:39 PM>

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Thu, 06/11/09 1:56 PM (permalink)
                              You are sound more like Michael Hoffman than Michael Hoffman.

Russ Jackson

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Thu, 06/11/09 2:08 PM (permalink)
                                I agree with Michael Hoffman on alot of things about food. I think I am still more open minded but I am catching up...Russ

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Thu, 06/11/09 2:10 PM (permalink)
                                  What I mean is the detail you guys go into.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Thu, 06/11/09 2:11 PM (permalink)
                                    I am sure you would not put mustard on your burgers though.

Soccer862923

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Thu, 06/11/09 7:25 PM (permalink)
                                      Russ Jackson

They always ask me how I would like it cooked. But if they didnt I would tell them. 
                                      Next time you make a Bloddy Mary try using Gin instead of Vodka. Use 50/50 V8 and Clamato. Worchester sauce. Rim the glass with the celery salt. Must be coarse cracked pepper(Some might think it wrong but I like actual pieces of cracked pepper in the drink. I use a motor and pestel to get the correct size) . A little anchovie paste. Horse raddish. Squeeze in half of a small Mexican thin skinned lime and drop it in. Pleanty of Hot Sauce non vinegar based. 1/4 pickle spear, whole celery stalk with foliage,3 big olives, crushed red pepper flakes. Serve in a very tall glass. A Bloody Mary is a side dish more than a drink....Russ

Thanks for the Bloody Mary recipe. Weird that they didn't ask me how to cook it but I guess it is ultimately my fault for not speaking up. Oh well, maybe I will stop by this week for lunch sometime.

Russ Jackson

Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Thu, 06/11/09 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                        I just walked in to my home after eating at Slyders. Wife had the thursday special as well as my guest the Guiseppe Burger which had roasted peppers and such. They both rated it a 9. I had the standard large cheese burger. I would give it an 8.5 and for Dayton that was as good as it gets. They did not ask how I wanted my burger. But I did tell them. The onion rings were undercooked. The fries were excellent. My Rolling Rock was ICE COLD...Enjoy...Russ

donw9876

• Total Posts: 289
                                          Re:Slyder's Tavern in Dayton, OH Thu, 08/20/09 3:55 PM (permalink)
                                          Scorereader

White Castle's trademark is in the name "slyder" spelled the same. In a trademark situation, it doesn't necessarily matter if it's not the exact same product, the name "Slyder" is synonymous with White Castle. Therefore, if I was White Castle's attorney I would consider any hamburger joint, or any restaurant for that matter, to be causing consumer confusion and therby infringing my company's trademark when using the name Slyder for the name of their establishment.

In elementary school (early 1960s) in that neighborhood, a kid in my class used to carry buckets of draft beer home to his dad from Slyder's. So the tavern's name goes back at least that far.

I think their web site says they were started in the late 1940s (the time that most of Watervliet Ave. was turning into Belmont's "downtown.")

So White Castle systems just *has* to know about Slyder's the tavern.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com