The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

cliftons cafeteria-LA GEM, But Hurry

californyguy

• Total Posts: 513
cliftons cafeteria-LA GEM, But Hurry Fri, 06/12/09 3:16 PM (permalink)
 Finally got a chance to eat at the famous cliftons- sat near an indoor waterfall and dug into old fashioned veal cutlet( not veal , instead  the kind I rememeber from grade school lunch, but way bigger) a huge scoop a mac and cheese , cole slaw and drink all for under nine bucks- all was just as it should be,true cafeteria food,,,loved the place , even snuck up to the closed top floor where there are all kinds of photos and mementos of cliftons better days on the walls- hollywood stars, huge crowds etc.....while the place was just fantastic it is showing its age- some of the chrome fixtures were dented ,and some of the murals , although still impressive  were fading....hope this place makes it , as it is truly unique , but it just had that may be on its last legs feeling about it..even my tray had a crack down the middle,...after I left I couild have kicked myself for not tryiog to buy that damaged try as it had the cliftons logo on it and would have made a great souveneir....all roadfooders near downtown LA just have to go to this place, but hurry!! ps there is other good  stuff about cliftons here on roadfood , but I also found the LA times article below which really gives a good feel

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-cliftons4-2009feb04,0,6044348.story

exsquidao

• Total Posts: 409
    Re:cliftons cafeteria-LA GEM, But Hurry Fri, 06/12/09 5:01 PM (permalink)
    Great article thanks very much for posting it.

enginecapt

• Total Posts: 3486
      Re:cliftons cafeteria-LA GEM, But Hurry Fri, 06/12/09 5:04 PM (permalink)
      It's been a year for me... time to go again. I can taste that burrito sized chicken enchilada and the Salisbury steak with cream gravy now.

Cruisin4food

• Total Posts: 9
        Re:cliftons cafeteria-LA GEM, But Hurry Sat, 06/13/09 1:29 PM (permalink)
        Clifton's is wonderful. I have enjoyed many meals at Clifton's. It is a family favorite. I love the roast beef plate and custard pie. The salsa is spicy and good. The selection is impressive. I love to choose a seat in the dining room that allows optimal viewing of the wonderful decor.

If you get the chance, it's worth it.

Voyageur

Re:cliftons cafeteria-LA GEM, But Hurry Sat, 06/20/09 7:08 PM (permalink)
          Had lunch at Clifton's several Sundays ago. Packed to the rafters, with quite a line waiting. Glad to see the old girl still has some life in her.

The crowd was more vibrant than expected for such an old place in not the best location. Lots of old regulars, but younger people too, as well as families with children, all of these from wide range of ethnic groups. That bodes well for Clifton's.

Totally agree with Californyguy that the place needs freshening. Not a complete overall, but just seeing that the environment is as welcoming as possible.

And the food? No complaints there, except serve some more gravy with the turkey, please.

As I mentioned elsewhere, do not park east of Clifton's, especially at night. Terrible skid road.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
            • No New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
            • Locked w/ New Messages
            • Locked w/o New Messages
            • Read Message
            • Post New Thread
            • Reply to message
            • Post New Poll
            • Submit Vote
            • Post reward post
            • Delete my own posts
            • Delete my own threads
            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com