The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Your preferred style or variety of flan/creme caramel

jonjax71

• Total Posts: 435
Your preferred style or variety of flan/creme caramel Sun, 06/14/09 12:18 AM (permalink)
I was told many years by a gourmet baker that flan or creme caramel is French in origin going back to the 1800s but now it is standard dessert fare throughout Latin America and like other Latin platters like tamales and chicken n rice etc etc it varies nation to nation and even regionaly within larger countries.

My favorite style is Cuban flan and in particular Cuban style coconut flan, my least favorite is Mexican style flan. Once while vacationing in Miami Beach I had some home made Cuban style mango flan, quite unique.  I also like New Orleans' creme boulee- a "cousin" of flan. While visiting Barcelona-Spain I had a Catalan province version of flan they call crema catalan-Catalan cream.

The last few years I have had to drastically reduce my intake of my favorite dessert flan and limit it to 2-3 servings a year, due to cholesterol concerns but for decades previous I more than eaten my share of dozens of varieties of flan, much more than the average bear.

"Some folks eat to live, others live to eat"

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com