The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

I should have made a left at Albuquerque!

Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 128 of 128
Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
Re:I should have made a left at Albuquerque! Wed, 09/1/10 4:31 AM (permalink)
The Picture of The Bulldog at Sugars suggests that maybe the dog went to that big restaurant in the sky. There's a plaque under the picture with the dogs name on it.

buffetbuster

Re:I should have made a left at Albuquerque! Wed, 09/1/10 1:13 PM (permalink)
    Sunday June 14, 2009

There are two main ways to get from Santa Fe to Albuquerque.  Interstate 25 will get you from one to the other in just about an hour.  If you have the time and want to see more scenery, take NM Rte. 14, also known as the Turquoise Trail.  This is the road we took, partially because our breakfast destination, San Marcos Cafe in the town of Cerrillos, is on Rte. 14.  Unfortunately, we had a bear of a time finding the place.  We must of drove past it twice and the GPS was no help at all.  But, at least it let us discover this interesting sign,

next to a gas station, while we were lost.  No outside sign was apparent, so what clued in that this was the restaurant was the peacocks

roaming around in the yard.  Hey, we even got to see one of the peacocks showing off his glorious tail

for a peahen.  Hmmmm, I'm thinking she's seen this before and isn't too impressed!

The inside of the San Marcos Cafe is fairly large,

with plenty of room between tables and multiple dining rooms.  We were seated in the small room on the right, which was attractively decorated.

We were very much impressed by the little touches.  We asked for water and we got this well worn, but appropriate for here, pitcher.

The excellent hot chocolates arrived in San Marcos Cafe coffee mugs.

And the orange juice was fresh squeezed.

Here was the specials board,

with lots of tempting options.  We started our meal off with a hot cinnamon roll. 

Larger than most, it was extremely flaky and not overly sweet.  We loved it!  My entree was the Eggs San Marcos,

a dish of scrambled eggs inside a tortilla, covered with guacamole, plus green and red chiles.  The chiles here had first rate flavor, with the green being much hotter.  Johnny had the corned beef hash,

which was very tender, with a nice crispy outside.

Along with well done potatoes and over easy eggs, Johnny was very happy with his meal.  Oh, and some really good homemade, warm and buttery bread

came with the meals.

San Marcos Cafe has an interesting history.  There used to be a black tie wearing rooster named Buddy who greeted the guests and served as unofficial mascot.  But Buddy passed away years ago and even without a replacement, we gave San Marcos Cafe high marks.  Before we left, I did pose in the doorway

in the side yard, but forgot to give the John Wayne pose, like Michael Stern does in the Roadfood review.

San Marcos Cafe
    3877 SR-14
    Cerrillos, NM
    505-471-9298

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/1397/san-marcos-cafe

Time was running short for Johnny's time in New Mexico, but we did make one more stop and that was at the New Mexico Musuem of Natural History in Albuquerque.  They have lots of interesting exhibits here, but we were most impressed by the dinosaur displays.

And we couldn't help but take a fun photo outside the museum.

http://www.nmnaturalhistory.org/
    It was time to take Johnny to the airport and say our good byes, since my flight didn't leave until the next morning.  But, now that I don't have him holding me back anymore, I can FINALLY do some serious eating!

More to come.....
    <message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 09/1/10 1:23 PM>

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
      Re:I should have made a left at Albuquerque! Wed, 09/1/10 1:21 PM (permalink)
      Those San Marcos breakfasts look magnificent!  Are you fighting that guy off for the last piece of pie in the last picture?

buffetbuster

Re:I should have made a left at Albuquerque! Wed, 09/1/10 1:22 PM (permalink)
        No Nancy, if there was pie involved, the photo would be me chasing the dinosaur!

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
          Re:I should have made a left at Albuquerque! Wed, 09/1/10 2:15 PM (permalink)
          We had lunch at the San Marcos Cafe about 5 years ago, strange trip because just before we hit Cerrillos we came across a production company filming a video for MTV, I think the guy was Neal Anderson. You just never know what you will come across taking the back roads in New Mexico!

buffetbuster

Re:I should have made a left at Albuquerque! Wed, 09/1/10 3:58 PM (permalink)
            Sunday June 14, 2009 cont.

Since I wanted some snacks for the hotel that night, I made one more stop at Golden Crown Panaderia for more biscochitos and cherry empanadas. 

Then a nap at the hotel room.  For my last dinner in Albuquerque, I chose Sadie's

Located in the middle of a big shopping district, this is not your little mom and pop Roadfood restaurant.  Even at 7:30 on a Sunday night, the place was crowded, although I did get a seat right away in the main dining room.

To start off the meal, an order of the sopaipillas. 

These came out cold and just tasted mass produced.  Much better were the homemade chips and salsa.

For my entree, it was the carne adovada stacked enchiladas,

one of the dishes they are best known for.  Not bad, but nothing special.  Considering all the great food I had already eaten on this trip, Sadie's was clearly a step below.  There are too many other places in Albuquerque for me to eat before I would go back.

Sadie's
            6230 4th Street NW
            Albuquerque, NM
            505-345-5339

Back to the hotel for the rest of the night.

More to come.....
            <message edited by buffetbuster on Wed, 09/1/10 4:01 PM>

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9548
              Re:I should have made a left at Albuquerque! Wed, 09/1/10 4:06 PM (permalink)
              I've driven the "Back Road to Sante Fe". It's a beautiful ride that takes you back in time. If the bus goes that route, they better have Barf Bags on-board. Lottsa twists & turns, Ups and downs!

buffetbuster

Re:I should have made a left at Albuquerque! Thu, 09/2/10 8:46 AM (permalink)
                Monday June 15, 2009

My flight left mid morning, which gave me time for one more meal in Albuquerque.  I headed to Lindy's Diner,

a corner restaurant, right on Rte. 66.  The inside is spacious and neat and I like the neon skyline,

although I doubt that really matches with Albuquerque.

Having loved the cinnamon roll from the day before, I decided to try it here, too.  This was more of the sweeter, gooey, covered in butter version of a cinnamon roll. 

Served hot, it was a pleasure to eat.  My main dish was what the waitress called one of their most popular dishes, the Pile Up.

What's not too like about bacon and hash browns, covered with tasty red and green chile and lots of cheese?  This was my second visit to Lindy's and both times I have been very happy with the food and the service.  Lindy's is an underrated Albuquerque restaurant.

Lindy's Diner
                500 Central Avenue SW
                Albuquerque, NM
                505-242-2582

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/354/lindys-coffee-shop

From there, it was straight to the airport and the end of the vacation.
                <message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 09/2/10 8:53 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                  Change Page: < 12345 | Showing page 5 of 5, messages 121 to 128 of 128

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com