The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

trip to san antonio

cy_dugas

• Total Posts: 199
trip to san antonio Thu, 06/25/09 6:51 PM (permalink)
Just returned from a three day trip to San Antonio.  Lots of fun, but the heat was almost unbearable!!!  Well over 100 from noon until night.

Two stops worth noting...

Bucky's "Truck Stop?" in Luling, TX.  Great!  Baked goods were awesome (sugar cookies, fudge, and a sort of pig in a blanket with TX sausage).  But the best was the beef jerky...Awesome stuff.  I bought a 1/2 pound of jalapeno jerky on the way to San Antonio (only about 1 1/2 hours away and ate it before we got to the hotel.)  I bought a pound of black peppercorn jerky on the way back, and it's gone now too!  Also buffalo and turkey jerky.  Wonderful.

We were at Seaworld for a large part of the trip so our dining there wasn't great.  However, we did get to eat at one of our favorite restaurants, Rosario's!  It was just as good as it was on our honeymoon 4 years ago.   The salsa they serve is unbelievable.  I'm guessing it's tomatillo (sp?) based, but it has such a smoky aftertone and depth of heat that it's hard to describe.  The soups are also top notch.  We ate both the jalapeno chicken and classic chicken tortilla soups and loved them both.  Our entree's the first night (yes, we ate there twice!) were the chicken chipotle and the spinach enchiladas.  They were both excellent.  On the second night we again had the soups and the guacamole along with nachos.  Once again, excellent.  This is by far the best Tex-Mex we've ever eaten, although being from south Louisiana, we probably haven't experienced as much as other have.

Anyone out there ever eaten at these places?  Also, if you have other recommendations for San Antonio please provide.  We'll be going back next summer.

cy

Neesie

• Total Posts: 322
    Re:trip to san antonio Sat, 07/4/09 1:04 PM (permalink)
    I have a favorite place in San Antonio, just steps from the Riverwalk.  It's called Shilo's Deli.  They serve hot & cold comfort food there.  My favorite is their Reuben Sandwich served with a cold frosty mug of homemade rootbeer right from the barrell.  They are famous for their split pea soup served with Bavarian sausage.  My husband loved the chicken and dumplings.  All their food is reasonably priced and it is family friendly.  Many of their waitresses are senior citizens. 

If you are wandering the Riverwalk, look up to the street level and when you see Mickey D's golden arches go up to the street level and look for an oval sign that say's Shilo's Deli.  They are on Commerce Street.

quijote

• Total Posts: 643
      Re:trip to san antonio Sat, 07/11/09 10:24 PM (permalink)
      If you go to the west side of town, just pick a street and eat your way through tamales!  San Antonio seems to be the U.S. Tamale Capital.

If you like good supermarkets, the Central Market (near Trinity University) is excellent. The selection is spectacular, and the cheese section, produce, and deli are particularly marvelous.

I tend to avoid Riverwalk places in S.A., but a couple of years ago there was a really good place called Pesca right on the Riverwalk. I don't know if it's still around, and it was a bit pricey, but the food was inventive and tasty yet not pretentious.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 3 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com