The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

TRIP REPORT PART II- Norfolk and Virginia Beach

brookquarry

• Total Posts: 277
TRIP REPORT PART II- Norfolk and Virginia Beach Sun, 06/28/09 3:04 PM (permalink)
We took the Surrey Ferry from williamsburg accross the James River to Surrey Count. This allowed us to stop in Surrey at the Edwards Ham Company factory store, for som excellant hams and bacon (highly reccomended)

We then took the scenic route into Norfolk and stopped for lunch at Doumars, reviewed on this site. This is an old time 1950's drive in with carhop service.
 I had their barbecue snadwich, which was minced barbecue with a tomato based sauce. I enjoyed it except for the toppings (lettuce and tomatoe) which I thought did not go terribly well with the barbecue. My wife had  a cheeseburger with cheese on both sides, which as a cheese lover, she thoroughly enjoyed.

We topped off the meal with ice cream. Abe Doumar invented the Ice Cream cone at the St Louis Words Fair in 1904, and the restaurant still makes their own cones (Customers at the table next to us bought a jar of 24 cones for $9.00) I had a cone with one dip of homemade butter pecan ice cream. The cone was actually not much differant from a regular sugar cone. The butter pecan was quite good- more buttery than I am used to. My wife had a thick chocolate shake which she pronounced very chocalaty.Definitely worth a special trip. A one of a kind place.

In Virginia Beach, we tried two places reccomended by I-95 on a recnt thraed. Both were within one block of our hotel.

The Belvedere Coffe Shop, in the Belvedere Hotel is really a small diner with a few booths and counter stools, and a limited breakfast/ lunch menu.
I had the cheeseburger- which was a classic diner cheeseburger- Toasted bun, juicy, well charred quarter pound burger. My wife had the Chef salad which was well prepared with all fresh ingredients. She asked for oil and vinegar dressing and they served her a cruet of oil and TWO cruets of vinegar- balsamic and regular- which allowed her to blend the oil and vinegar to her taste. Highly reccommended.

We ate at the Pocahontas pancake and waffle House for breakfast three striaght days. Everything was well prepared. The Pocahontas is also notably decorated with two full wall murals depicting the First Landing by the Jamestown colonists at Cape Henry, and the Jamestown Stockade (thes second mural features pocahontas) The windows are also painted with Indian motifs. Definately a kitchY placeand a good solid breakfast choice.

Finally, after diaspointment in Williamsburg, we found an excellant Pizzeria with a wood burning pizza oven  called PI-zzeria. on 33rd and Atlantic.

i95

• Total Posts: 2500
    Re:TRIP REPORT PART II- Norfolk and Virginia Beach Sun, 06/28/09 9:01 PM (permalink)
    brookquarry

The Belvedere Coffe Shop, in the Belvedere Hotel is really a small diner with a few booths and counter stools, and a limited breakfast/ lunch menu.
    I had the cheeseburger- which was a classic diner cheeseburger- Toasted bun, juicy, well charred quarter pound burger. My wife had the Chef salad which was well prepared with all fresh ingredients. She asked for oil and vinegar dressing and they served her a cruet of oil and TWO cruets of vinegar- balsamic and regular- which allowed her to blend the oil and vinegar to her taste. Highly reccommended.

We just returned there for breakfast this past Friday morning, as well. A great breakfast, as always, while at the beach!

Nancypalooza

• Total Posts: 3778
      Re:TRIP REPORT PART II- Norfolk and Virginia Beach Mon, 06/29/09 9:23 AM (permalink)
      Yeah, I will never get trying to put lettuce and tomato on barbecue--it just doesn't work to me.  Some slaw if you need veggies, but that's my regional bias talking.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com