For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters?

Author
jonjax71
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 438
2009/06/29 19:51:57 (permalink)

For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters?

My wife and I are grand parents of 4, 2 girls with out son, and one of each with our younger
daughter-the former pair live nearby and the latter recently moved about an hour and change away.

When our children only 13 months apart in age were toddlers I enjoyed making them Happy Face pancakes, fluffy buttermilk pancakes with chocolate kisses eyes, maraschino cherry nose and whipped cream smile, I would make them in the traditional round or on ocassion device a mold and make them in a variety of shapes or even a mickee mouse shape.

Now I do the same for my grand children and they love them, we also make them popped corn from a big pot which they also prefer over the microwave versions they get at home. My wife who loves to bake and make pastries also likes making children specialty itmes like home made large animal shaped cookies.

Our 2nd generation offsprings also like the juiced fruit spritzers we make them as well as juiced lemonade with rinds mixed with sweet juiced apple juice

Do you have any specialty items you've made/make for your children and now for your grandchildren?

25 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18864
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/29 20:31:31 (permalink)
    I never made anything specifically for children for my grandchildren. I did, though, make it a point to make things for them that would expand their palates. To this day, for instance, all of my grandchildren love anchovies and sardines. And, they all like steak tartare. Those kids were getting that sort of thing from the moment they were first able to eat solid foods.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/29 21:42:15 (permalink)
    I posted a response a while ago and it disappeared. I cannot imagine why that might have happened as it was just about having introduced my grandchildren to anchovies, sardines and steak tartare as soon as they were able to eat solid foods.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/29 22:30:42 (permalink)
    Trying once again, without much hope for this posting, considering that even the test post disappeared:

I introduced anchovies, sardines and steak tartare to my grandchildren when they were able to eat solid foods. They all love those things today, as many as 21 years later.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/29 22:31:51 (permalink)
    Now this is weird. All of my posts in this thread have reappeared.
    jman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1366
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/30 06:58:30 (permalink)
    Michael Hoffman

Have you checked your meds lately? :)
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/30 07:10:12 (permalink)
    Keep this up ...

... and you'll be at 10,000 posts in no time.
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3778
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/30 09:40:17 (permalink)
    jon, to go back to your question, our nephews were just here and we did a lot of freezer pops--use juice, probably whatever you're putting in those spritzers.  You can use just about anything that would freeze--jello.

Honestly Michael makes a great point; if you let them try a lot of things and figure out what they like/don't like without leading them in a specific direction, then you'll get adventurous eaters.  MSPD over in the Minnesota thread has his kids eating--and liking--lutefisk.
    mar52
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8318
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/30 09:54:56 (permalink)
    I let my 2 year old niece share my steamed clams. She liked that they were in the shells, making them different.

That was 23 years ago and you should see the things she tries now.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8656
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/30 11:08:23 (permalink)
    Can it count, as we were never able to be parents, that I expanded my niece and nephews palates???
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/30 11:20:26 (permalink)

I have done this with my kids and they do it with theirs and so forth ------ I love Michael's idea --trying different foods on kids gets them out of the rut before they get into it.

I have also changed  or added names to foods that kids could associate with

Hot dogs with chili ----became Rodeo Hot Dogs---the stuff Cowboys eat.

Fe-Fi-Fo-Fum Pancakes----great big ones "fit for a Giant"

Arroz Con Pollo and La Sagna didn't need any name changes ------- they gobbled them up no matter what they were called.

Yusta sing----"Am I Blue" while serving Blue Fish
    caught that afternoon in Frenchman's Creek (a name the kid's made up after hearing a lot of French curses, from the next boat, for the one that got away).  Sacre Bleu !!!!!!!!!!!

mbrookes
    • Total Posts : 1355
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/30 13:31:38 (permalink)
    Things they've eaten, but not the way they've eaten them. I mean for our grandchildren I fix homemade French fries and real milk shakes. They were only familiar with the ff kinds.  Both made a real hit.
    fabulousoyster
    • Total Posts : 1855
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/30 13:40:08 (permalink)
    A freshly peeled orange, seeded and sectioned.
    A freshly peeled apple, kept whole, so they can hold and nibble around.  Yellow Delicious the favorite.
    Cheddar Biscuits by Bisquick, brushed with butter twice while baking.
    Smores made in the microwave.
    Vanilla milk shake, with a tsp or two of extra sugar and extract blended in.
    Mrs. Smiths deep dish frozen apple pie, baked, served with vanilla ice cream.
    Warm brownies from the oven served with vanilla ice cream. 

Over the years, they keep coming back for the above.

Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/30 14:04:58 (permalink)
    Bill--my sister-in-law had to talk the oldest into an MRI machine yesterday (bonk on the head, thankfully he's fine) so she told him it was a rocket ship.  :)
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3751
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/30 14:25:33 (permalink)
    A favorite at our house for the grandchildren  is  "Giant Meatball and Giant Spaghetti.  I make a 3 pound meat ball  and  4 foot long pasta  and that is fun for them.  The youngest one always looks forward to that.  These kids will and have eaten just about everything.  The nine year old's  favorite thing to order when he sees it on the menu is escargot.  The youngest child calls her self "the mussel girl" and orders them all the time.

The fun thing that I do for them in the way of cooking is doing  theme dinners and ethnic dinners.  They make placecards  and  napkin holders and decorate the table.  A specail dinner for them is the yearly  "Last Night on the Titantic Dinner" which they love.  It was the 9 year old's turn to pick the menu that I would do  and he went for "2nd Class" and that is what we did in April. (He checks to make sure that I am doing the exact menu too............no cheating allowed!
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/06/30 16:23:25 (permalink)
    Frozen Bananas, sometimes dipped in chocolate.

And also frozen fruit smoothies
    jonjax71
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 438
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/07/01 11:39:29 (permalink)
    Greymo

A favorite at our house for the grandchildren  is  "Giant Meatball and Giant Spaghetti.  I make a 3 pound meat ball  and  4 foot long pasta  and that is fun for them.  The youngest one always looks forward to that.  These kids will and have eaten just about everything.  The nine year old's  favorite thing to order when he sees it on the menu is escargot.  The youngest child calls her self "the mussel girl" and orders them all the time.

The fun thing that I do for them in the way of cooking is doing  theme dinners and ethnic dinners.  They make placecards  and  napkin holders and decorate the table.  A specail dinner for them is the yearly  "Last Night on the Titantic Dinner" which they love.  It was the 9 year old's turn to pick the menu that I would do  and he went for "2nd Class" and that is what we did in April. (He checks to make sure that I am doing the exact menu too............no cheating allowed!

We are kindred spirited grandparents, my wife and I do very similar things with the love of our lives-our grandchildren. keep them motivated with fun and games but at the same time introduce them to new and different things while providing them with nutrution for the brains. Much respect to you-your our kind of grandparents

My wife i Jamaican and she has made Jamaican meals and along with the food, there has been children's history book abouty Jamaica, also a coloring book of Jamaica's heroes. She also has  made a British meal with similar amenities to show the difference between the former colonizer and her homeland. We have since done the same for other nation's and ethnicities meals. We also play the music of the meals while preppping and serving it.

I am preparing a giant meatball and pasta dinner soon, thanks for a wonderful idea

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/07/01 12:16:40 (permalink)
    jman

Michael Hoffman

Have you checked your meds lately? :)

How could I. Last time you were here you stole them all.

the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/07/01 13:50:26 (permalink)
    Nancy and anyone one else-----speaking of Rocket Ships-----have you ever seen the movie "Rocket Ship Gibralter"?

Burt Lancaster in one of his last and
    McCauley Whats-his-name in one of his first.

Good movie about a college professor, a bunch of grandkids,  and summer in the Hamptons.

Just remember that famous line---A rocketship by any other name is still a rose"--or something like that . 
    Russ Jackson
    • Total Posts : 2257
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/07/01 16:07:23 (permalink)
    My son was started on Sushi, braunschweiger, olives with pits, mussels, rare meat, and hot foods at a young age. Now he loves them all. I like to slip a sliver of Habenero Chili and a few seeds in to his frineds peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and sit back and watch the fun. Let them slice them without gloves also...Russ
    Nancypalooza
    Filet Mignon
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/07/01 17:28:07 (permalink)
    :)  No, but now I'll have to check it out--by the cast it sounds like I'd like it.
    WarToad
    • Total Posts : 1858
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/07/02 07:58:09 (permalink)
    I make homemade potato chips for my kids.  It's really not that hard, and once one of them got the idea in their heads for flavoring them, little minds went to work trying to figure out how to make them BBQ flavor without the sauce.  And the flavors just took off from there.

It turned out to be a very good real life experiment in problem solving for them.  Learning to identify problems, brainstorming, and how to research.  A mini science homework problem they actually had a vested interest in and wanted to solve.
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/07/02 16:34:06 (permalink)
    Mine like and devour my homemade trail mix:

Banana chips
    Dried sweet pineapple chunks
    Shredded coconut
    Rasians
    Cashew nuts
    Pretzels
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/07/02 18:16:22 (permalink)
    the ancient mariner

Nancy and anyone one else-----speaking of Rocket Ships-----have you ever seen the movie "Rocket Ship Gibralter"?

It's Rocket Gibraltar, and it is a terrific movie. Thanks for reminding me. I have it on a cassette and I think I'll watch it tonight.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096003/

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/07/02 18:17:34
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/07/07 14:19:23 (permalink)
    Some neat stuff here yall!

Greymo, about that 4 ft pasta??? How? Oh, and how to get that meat ball done in tha middle?

Design your own hot dog... is one thing I do with tha Grandzillas. Oh, and design your own tortilla wrap. Who knows what they will come up with next. Some were good though. :~)
    Joe
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    Re:For grandparents or parents only! Any special treats for youngsters? 2009/07/07 14:54:19 (permalink)
    PapaJoe8

Greymo, about that 4 ft pasta??? How? Oh, and how to get that meat ball done in tha middle?

I can't speak for Greymo, but when I make one of those huge meatballs I bake it. As to four-foot spaghetti, DeCecco sells it for close to five bucks a package.

In Jack Denton Scott's, The Complete Book of Pasta, the author's recipe came about as a result of someone he invited for pasta asking if he meant spaghetti and meatballs. Scott, who was aware of the fact that in Italy  such a dish is more or less unknown, and that pasta and meat are not usually served together, went ahead and made sauce, a huge meatball, and some spaghetti. During the baking of the meatball he topped it with some of the sauce. He served the pasta with some of the sauce as the first course, and then served the meatball, sliced, and with sauce as the main course.

post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2009/07/07 14:55:54
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1