Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA

Author
Purcell429
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
2009/07/02 02:01:23 (permalink)

Newtown Cafe in Ashley PA

Hey all, I've been reading through the forums a bit and decided to join so I could post about one of my favorite Pizza joints, which I haven't seen anyone mention yet. So I'm from Northeastern PA, which is the pizza capital of the world (*changes subject before the debate ensues*). Now, whether or not you agree with that, I will say that NEPA has the greatest VARIETY of pizza types I have ever seen (Pittsburgh, where I live now, its a pizza wasteland by comparison). From Old forge style (which I think is over rated), to Victory Pig style (I prefer Lovin' Oven and Ripples over Victory Pig), to this place, Newtown Cafe. 

It's a small bar/ restaurant in Ashley, PA, just to the north of Wilkes-Barre. To pick up the pies you walk in through a rickety screen door in the back of the building and stand inside the kitchen while you wait. I mean, your 10 feet from the ovens, and there is no counter or anything. 

And they have what I would call a "Unique" style of pizza. They are small rectangular pies (Figure on ordering 1 per person) with a thin crust that is rather dense... in the middle of the pie, its dense and chewy, and the edges and corners are crunchy, almost rock hard. They use a fairly watery tomato sauce, and a cheese I cant quite figure out... much discussion among friends leads us to believe it is american cheese. Ok, so at this point, I'm sure everyone here is just about ready to hurl. But once that cheese and sauce combo goes into the oven, it mixes together to form this pink goo like substance that will stay pretty gooey until it cools to room temperature (I love taking a spoon and scooping up whatever is left over in the box). I either get them plain, or "marinated", which is white pie with sliced tomatoes on top.  The best way to eat these is either in the restaurant, or to call ahead, order them half baked, and finish them in the oven at home. 

Next time i'm in town I'll order one and take a picture to show everyone. But yeah, if your in the area, check this place out. Not everyone likes it at first... but I guarantee you have never had a pie like this before.

12 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1