Welcome to Edgerton - care for a burger?

Author
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5077
2009/07/16 15:14:03 (permalink)

Welcome to Edgerton - care for a burger?

Sometimes things can get a little out of hand and this post is an example.  Back in February I stopped at Anchor Inn in Newville, WI (just east of Edgerton on highway 59) for one of its "famous" burgers and I just happened to have a camera with me, so I took a photo:

Then it occurred to me that there are several places in Newville and Edgerton where I could probably get a burger (one with mushrooms, Swiss, and bacon in this case) and one of them (The Decoy) was already my preferred watering hole, even though I don't go out much:

So for some reason I decided to combine some burger research with photo practice, with the goal of trying every medium-rare bacon or bacon-mushroom cheeseburger in the area while trying different combinations of equipment to see what the results (some good, some not so good) would be.  As this is Wisconsin most of the places I ate were bars, which is typical of a town like Edgerton.

This past Tuesday I finally finished and this 69-image slideshow tells the story (be warned - there's not a lot of variety).

The population of Edgerton and Newville is probably somewhere in the 6000-7000 range and initially I thought that maybe there'd be a half-dozen or so places to try, but the final count was easily double that.  It was fun to do and I did visit some unfamiliar eastablishments (and answer questions from some unfamiliar people), but I think it'll be awhile before I have another burger.  There were times when I wondered why I was doing this and if maybe I should scrap the whole idea, but in the end I stuck with it and I'm glad I did. 

My favorites are The Decoy (with an admitted bias) and Anchor Inn but the majority of the others also served a good cheeseburger, and there are only a couple where I'd say to either not bother or it's not worth a trip.  But like any other post here these are only my opinions and should be taken with a grain of salt...or maybe a few grains and a little pepper as well, depending on which burger you're eating.
post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/08/14 13:43:10

18 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1