Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers ---

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49
David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Wed, 09/16/09 10:34 AM (permalink)
Whoops, you are right. I forgot that the old Ricky's was that far north along Central Avenue. Per the City of Yonkers water quality report, that area is served by the Westchester County Water District:
http://www.yonkersny.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=4716

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
    Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Wed, 09/16/09 10:39 AM (permalink)
    David_NYC

Whoops, you are right. I forgot that the old Ricky's was that far north along Central Avenue. Per the City of Yonkers water quality report, that area is served by the Westchester County Water District:
    http://www.yonkersny.gov/Modules/ShowDocument.aspx?documentid=4716

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2006/04/graham_asks_can_1.php

cavandre

• Total Posts: 1598
      Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Sun, 11/1/09 10:17 AM (permalink)
      They open tomorrow...wish I was there!

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
        Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Sun, 11/1/09 12:25 PM (permalink)
        Brother Jasper,

I have a crew on the scene and will report all the big doing's in Yonkers. 
        If, by chance, I go back to the wintery north before next summer I shall 
        stop by and buy a few to go---one to you and one to Michael Hoffman
        and one to that Pizza Nut  Keep-a hugh high hopen for the hugh-P-S truck. 

David_NYC

Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Sat, 11/14/09 1:44 PM (permalink)
          Today's (11-14-2009) restaurant review is for the Frank Pepe's in Yonkers:
          http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Review/6842-7329/frank-pepe-pizzeria-napoletana

As they expand, I wonder if they are going to "tweak" the recipe a little bit to appeal to local tastes.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Sat, 11/14/09 2:52 PM (permalink)
            I find when you have to ask for a well done pizza pie to get the crust the way you like it, it is generally a losing proposition.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17852
              Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Sat, 11/14/09 5:06 PM (permalink)
              NYPIzzaNut

I find when you have to ask for a well done pizza pie to get the crust the way you like it, it is generally a losing proposition.

If you have to ask at Frank Pepe's it's an aberration.

Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle

• Total Posts: 1350
                • Roadfood Insider
                Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Sat, 11/14/09 5:51 PM (permalink)
                I agree with all three posts above.  I worry that they might tweak the recipe for local tastes, but I wouldn't yet say that is happening in Yonkers.  And, while we mentioned in the review asking for a well-done pie as a possibility, we have to note that the pies we received were beautifully singed - any more time in the oven and they may well have been too burned.  And, finally, we have NEVER asked for a well-done pie at a Pepe's.  Never had to.  Hopefully, they're still working out the kinks in Yonkers.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Sat, 11/14/09 5:53 PM (permalink)
                  I can't believe tastes have changed in Yonkers - their pies were always like NYC pies - or the pizzeria didn't get thru its first year.

the ancient mariner

• Total Posts: 3987
                    Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Sat, 11/14/09 6:00 PM (permalink)
                    I have been a fan of Pizza and Brew for years.  They are right up the street
                    from Frank's--------always good Pizza even if they are across the city line into Scarsdale.

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Sat, 11/14/09 6:08 PM (permalink)
                      I have not lived in Yonkers since 1970 or so but the pizza anywhere in Westchester County used to be as good as any in NYC.

I know from visiting my sister a while back in Hopewell Junction in Dutchess County that the times they are a changing concerning pizzas in NY - the ones we got from the local pizzeria had lousy crusts - it was like buying one in Cincinnati if you didn't know where to go.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17852
                        Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Sat, 11/14/09 6:56 PM (permalink)
                        NYPIzzaNut

I can't believe tastes have changed in Yonkers - their pies were always like NYC pies - or the pizzeria didn't get thru its first year.

That's sad. But, I guess it would be silly to expect a pie from New York to come very close to the wonder of a New Haven apizza.

TJ Jackson

• Total Posts: 4486
                          Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Sun, 11/15/09 12:35 PM (permalink)
                          Well, it is certainly good to know that the people of Yonkers will finally, after this pizzeria gets a chance to work out the opening-week kinks Bruce and Sue mentioned, have a chance to experience what truly good actually pizza is; and thereafter will have a reasonably good benchmark to compare good pizza to, wherever their life may take them, throughout the remainder of their lives.

asegidoc

• Total Posts: 7
                            Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Sun, 11/15/09 2:01 PM (permalink)
                            I moved away from yonkers in 1980,but my late father ran epstein's deli there til the summer of 07.
                            glad pepe's is there,but nearby pizza beat and carlos also have fine pies!!,as does catanias in tanglewood
                            hopefully there is business for all

jimmyonspot

• Total Posts: 2
                              Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Thu, 11/19/09 11:32 PM (permalink)
                              We went to Frank Pepe Pizzeria in Yonkers the other day.  We been to New Haven Pepe's before and love the crispy crunchy pizza.  The place was packed and luckily the Pizza was awesone.  We had the White Clam Pie and the Sausage n rooms Pie and they were the best !  They match the great Pizza I had at New Haven !  The crust is crunchy and chewy and the Pies are heavenly tasting.  It been a long wait but Finally we have GREAT Pizza in Yonkers, NY ... no more commutes to New Haven, CT

NYPIzzaNut

Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Thu, 11/19/09 11:44 PM (permalink)
                                What has happened in Yonkers??

I grew up there in the 50s and 60s and every pizza joint had great pizza.

David_NYC

Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Thu, 11/19/09 11:57 PM (permalink)
                                  Jimmy:
                                  How would you compare Pepe's to Catania's in the Tanglewood Shopping Center?

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
                                    Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Fri, 11/20/09 7:43 AM (permalink)
                                    jimmyonspot

We went to Frank Pepe Pizzeria in Yonkers the other day.  We been to New Haven Pepe's before and love the crispy crunchy pizza.  The place was packed and luckily the Pizza was awesone.  We had the White Clam Pie and the Sausage n rooms Pie and they were the best !  They match the great Pizza I had at New Haven !  The crust is crunchy and chewy and the Pies are heavenly tasting.  It been a long wait but Finally we have GREAT Pizza in Yonkers, NY ... no more commutes to New Haven, CT

Very good to hear. I maybe be able to get out there and try it soon.

jimmyonspot

• Total Posts: 2
                                      Re:Frank Pepe Pizzeria comes to Yonkers --- Thu, 11/26/09 12:38 AM (permalink)
                                      David_NYC

Jimmy:
                                      How would you compare Pepe's to Catania's in the Tanglewood Shopping Center?

Obviously it up too individual tastes but Catania's has the BEST calzones and salad pizza !   I like Pepe's pizza overall !

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                        Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 49 of 49

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                        • No New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                        • Locked w/ New Messages
                                        • Locked w/o New Messages
                                        • Read Message
                                        • Post New Thread
                                        • Reply to message
                                        • Post New Poll
                                        • Submit Vote
                                        • Post reward post
                                        • Delete my own posts
                                        • Delete my own threads
                                        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com