Handheld Scanners in Supermarkets - and Audits

Author
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2165
2009/08/13 09:05:48 (permalink)

Handheld Scanners in Supermarkets - and Audits

A while back, there was a post to a thread asking how supermarkets are preventing shoplifting with those new handheld scanners. Chains like Royal Ahold's Shop & Shop, Giant, and Tops, as well as other chains such as Bloom's and Giant Eagle have rolled out systems such as Scan It! With such a system, you use your supermarket shoppers card to release a handheld scanner at the entrance. Then, you scan and bag as you shop. The scanners have a wireless data link to try to get you to buy more things, depending upon what area of the store you are in. When you are finished, you pay at a manned or self service checkout lane.

Well, the answer to the question of how they keep people honest is printed in a brochure I found at a Stop & Shop in Connecticut: Random Audits.

*The SCAN IT! system will randomly select orders for review. Those reviews insure system accuracy and that all items have been properly scanned.
*Notification of cashier assistance will appear when the checkout barcode is scanned.
*If selected, an associate will assist you.
*During the audit, the associate will help you check out quickly by re-scanning your items.
*By accepting the SCAN IT! terms and conditions, on your first trip you agree to allow Stop&Shop to randomly audit your order.
*You also agree to scan each and every item you intend to purchase. For any item that will not scan, you agree to separate and identify those items and bring them to the attention of the associate at checkout.

Terms & Conditions

*The full list of Terms and Conditions will be displayed for your acceptance on your first shopping trip.
*Copies of the Terms and Conditions can be found at the Service Desk.

Since these scanners have a wireless capability, presumably people monitoring the video cameras can get an idea if you are scanning a small bottle of Tabasco and placing a large bottle in the bag.

Most of the time I go into a Stop & Shop, I don't see any of the scanners removed from the board. After reading that brochure, I wouldn't use it. After I spent all that time bagging the stuff, to have someone want to do it all over again would make the total shopping time even greater than present methods.
post edited by David_NYC - 2009/08/13 09:23:41

18 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1