My BBQ round-up

Author
doggydaddy
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1847
2009/08/14 12:01:23 (permalink)

My BBQ round-up

Just checking in. I have been quiet lately but I felt with the latest inclusion of Smitty's along with some other folks, I have been slacking. Here are some of the places I have visited.

Texas Rib Kings:

For a place with a name like that you would think that they would have the beef ribs available for lunch. I had the pork ones and they were kind of dry in texture. The brisket was tender, but for those looking for a flavorful crust, it isn't there.  They are close by, but...

Mann's is even closer. So close that I can walk my dogs and tie em up while I eat. I have posted about them before, but here is a return visit:

They are pretty good and convenient. They have a good lunch business from my observations and I like that they give a little taste of some dessert as a extra. My only memory of this meal was that the mac&cheese had started to separate from the heat and the greens were more like a soup, mostly liquid.

Southside Market is about 20 minutes away:

Now here we have a improvement in the beef rib category. That is a big rib and there is a lot of sausage hiding under it. One thing that is unique to them is that they offer mutton. This and lamb breast are sadly overlooked, but it is a meaty and marbled slice of flavor.

I decided that I was going to take a back road roadtrip, unencumbered by any destination. Driving in a big circle led me to Black's:

This is their brisket sandwich and it was here that I felt a little closer to appreciating brisket. This was as tender as any, but the smoky taste and crust did shine. I only went for one side, but the macaroni salad is excellent and I should have gone for two scoops.
In closing here is a chili burger from a place that I am investigating for a future review, Frisco's..:

One last thing. This is pretty cool. There are about a million bats living under the Congress St. Bridge. Here they are leaving the bridge as twilight approaches. Next week, Austin is holding a Bat-Fest. You know that I'll be checking that out...

mark

4 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1