The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Homemade Cafe: Pepin, WI

Bigfoot

• Total Posts: 24
Homemade Cafe: Pepin, WI Sun, 08/16/09 1:03 PM (permalink)
The town of Pepin is located on Lake Pepin, which is a naturally occurring lake on the Mississippi River.  It's a small town with a lot to offer, not the least of which is the Lake Pepin Campground.  There are several restaurants in town, one of which is nationally recognized for its cuisine (Harborview Cafe).  The Homemade Cafe, located on the main street through town (WI-35) boasts made-from-scratch food, including all three meals and desserts.

We decided to go for breakfast because of the advertised weekend special of biscuits and gravy.  Now, I'm always reluctant to order this dish, because it usually doesn't measure up to my own, and is more often than not poorly executed.  It's either gruel-thin or the consistency of paste, with a taste to match.

I ordered the "biscuits and gravy breakfast", which includes two eggs and hashbrowns, figuring that if the gravy was a disaster, at least I wouldn't starve.  My spouse played it safe with an order for eggs, bacon, hashbrowns and a biscuit.  The gravy turned out to be pretty tasty:  it was obviously prepared from scratch, using the sausage drippings to create the roux, with plenty of meat in the product.  The seasoning was sage and fennel, which I found to be a nice change, although the fennel tends to be the predominate flavor.  The biscuit was somewhat doughy and needs improving, but was acceptable.  The eggs were done perfectly. 

The hashbrowns were a disappointment, unfortunately.  In my humble opinion, hashbrowns and home fries should be made from scratch for every order, not cooked en masse and shoveled to the side of the griddle to be reheated.  They were cooked through, but had a poor consistency and were not nicely browned as they should have been. 

In defense of the kitchen, they were slammed this morning with a large group of about 20 people arriving unannounced.  To their credit, they moved our order up in the queue so we wouldn't be sitting there for two hours waiting for food.  All in all, I'd give the place a 7/10 rating, and believe they will improve with age.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com