The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Revisit of Denny's Beer Barrel Pub in Clearfield, PA

Mosca

• Total Posts: 2934
Revisit of Denny's Beer Barrel Pub in Clearfield, PA Thu, 09/3/09 1:12 PM (permalink)
For those who don't know, Denny's is famous for their promotion of 3, 5, 10, 15, and 100 lb burger challenges. But they are also a homey stop along a Roadfood-desolate stretch of I-80 in Pennsylvania.

I was lukewarm about our first visit calling the burgers average; the second, a lunchtime stop, was much better. Mrs Mosca, being either adventurous (for ordering away from the house specialty) or unadventurous (for ordering what she always does) got a wrap, a Philly cheese steak wrap. I include no picture; it looks like all the other wraps. Brown, and wrapped.

I ordered a Tex-Mex burger; "1/2 lb. ground beef spiced to perfection, then we add bacon, grilled onion, hot peppers and plenty of jalapeno cheese and tomato served on grilled texas toast and taco sauce on the side." On last visit, the only choice for doneness was "well"; this time, there was a choice of medium, which I took.

Much better this time. The beef was tastier, the burger done properly, the toppings excellent. I'd give it a B+. It's not in contention for best burger title, and never will be; but it is above average, and a decent Roadfood stop.

Edit: oops, I forgot the money shot!

And as an aside: when we were there, a family stopped in; mom and dad, and a kid about 11 or 12. This is lunch time, about 1PM. Dad looks at the menu, and orders a 24 oz draft of Sam Adams. Mom chooses a 16 oz draft of Blue Moon. While talking with the waitress, I overhear the dad mention to her that they have about 9 more hours of driving!  Geez! Even if a 24oz draft doesn't get you to blow .08, it absolutely changes your reaction time and judgement! And it will make you tired more easily. These weren't youngsters in their 30s; the guy was probably late 40s, dressed in polo shirt and cuffed shorts. Upper middle management type of guy. No one showed up on the news, so it worked out OK. But in these days of increased awareness of the dangers of buzzed driving, and how it violates the social contract, I found this surprising.
<message edited by Mosca on Thu, 09/3/09 1:20 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com