The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Oh Yoko!

harriet1954

• Total Posts: 1088
Oh Yoko! Fri, 09/4/09 5:18 PM (permalink)
This thread is almost two months after the fact, but at least the place is still open. My daughter and I visited a local Japanese restaurant for lunch called Oh Yoko! Sushi in Cherry Hill, NJ, on 7/11/09. It's in an unassuming strip shopping center on Route 70 (Marlton Pike). Here's a shot of the exterior.

This is that frosted glass separator when you first walk in. You can see my reflection taking the picture.

The owners, husband and wife Jin Sung and In Mi Jang, who have been in America for six years or so, are really into the Beatles. Beatles music played the entire time we were there, but most of it sounded like remixes.

I ordered the clear soup, on the left, and my daughter ordered the miso. They were both fantastic with lots of flavor.

Here's our drinks. My daughter had that soda that's kind of hard to open and is called a Ramune soda. It has a little marble that pops up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramune . I had green tea iced tea that was FULL of flavor and absolutely delicious and just sweet enough.

My daughter ordered Spicy Tuna Maki Rolls. She ate them all like they were cookies.

For my appetizer, I order Kara-age, which is little pieces of fried boneless chicken with a wonderful taste and a great dipping sauce.

I also ordered Deep-Fried Soft Shell Crab. I did NOT like the dipping sauce, which was supposed to be Ponzu sauce (which is citrus-y). This was FISHY and just not a nice sauce for this main dish. I used the dipping sauce that came with the appetizer.

My daughter was happy with her Maki Rolls, but then came the Wasabi Fries! Oh, my God, they were heavenly and 100% addictive. Instantly. They tasted more sweet than spicy, and if you've never had, PLEASE order them! They're NOT that hot Wasabi taste! This was the absolute stand-out of this meal.

Worth another posting of the same thing, huh?

Unbelievable. Not traditional Japanese, but so, so good.

For dessert, my daughter ordered green tea ice cream. This came with tempura fried bananas, and they had a good raspberry sauce on them. It was attractively presented and she really liked the taste. I was too stuffed from the Wasabi Fries, but did have a taste and that was it. I thought it was alright.

The service went from ultra-friendly to kinda coolish towards the end. I think she was expecting us to order much more, but this was lunch, and how much can you eat, especially since we left like one or two Wasbai Fries on the plate? This was not a cheap meal and I won't say how much, but my daughter took me. And oddly enough, she lost her job the next day; isn't that awful?? I paid her half - I couldn't let her pay if she was no longer working.

I would definitely go back to Oh Yoko! Sushi Bar. I cannot report on the sushi because I don't eat it, but I like other types of Japanese food.

Oh Yoko! Sushi Bar
1428 Route 70 West (Marlton Pike)
Pine Tree Plaza
Cherry Hill, NJ
(856) 857-YOKO (9050)

<message edited by harriet1954 on Fri, 09/4/09 5:25 PM>

zataar

• Total Posts: 1440
    Re:Oh Yoko! Fri, 09/4/09 6:03 PM (permalink)
    That all looks wonderful Harriet. I am going to steal your sentence "She ate them all like they were cookies." That is one of the best!

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3668
      Re:Oh Yoko! Fri, 09/4/09 6:52 PM (permalink)
      Your meals look terrific........................I would love to taste those french fries.  My granchildren love going to our local sushi place because of the soda.  They insist on bringing the bottles home!

mar52

• Total Posts: 7609
        Re:Oh Yoko! Fri, 09/4/09 7:33 PM (permalink)
        What gorgeous presentation!  The pictures want me to eat there and your descriptions seal the deal.

I love the picture of you.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
          • Roadfood Insider
          Re:Oh Yoko! Fri, 09/4/09 11:22 PM (permalink)
          I wouldn't be surprised if this restaurant is hit with a lawsuit by Yoko Ono and/or the estate of John Lennon.  They're using a Lennon song for the name of the restaurant, and they have his image hanging on the walls.  A million years ago I dated a lawyer who worked at a firm that represented, among others, the estate of Pablo Picasso.  Someone opened a restaurant with a Picasso theme (in Toronto if I recall correctly) without permission from the estate and her law firm swiftly had them shut down, and they seized every single thing that was remotely Picasso related.  That same firm represents (or did at the time) the Lennon estate.  I'm not a lawyer, so I don't know if they're specifically doing anything wrong, but I hope they did a little research before they opened the place.

The food does look fantastic.

tkitna

• Total Posts: 620
            Re:Oh Yoko! Sat, 09/5/09 3:07 AM (permalink)
            I wouldnt put it past Yoko to arrange legal representation either if all the dots arent in the right place.

saps

• Total Posts: 1553
              Re:Oh Yoko! Sat, 09/5/09 6:33 PM (permalink)
              I guess some good citizen should contact them and let them know.

harriet1954

Re:Oh Yoko! Tue, 09/22/09 7:45 PM (permalink)
                The last three replies were SO unnecessary. What would you have us do? Not go eat there? Walk back and forth with signs? Honestly, why do you even care about lawsuits, etc.? Seriously, get over yourself! Or better yet, here are the address and the phone number of the establishment, since you're so interested in being negative and so NOT interested in why I put this thread up:

1428 Route 70 West
                Pine Tree Plaza
                Cherry Hill, NJ
                (856) 857-YOKO (that's right! Better call the phone company, too, about that phone number!)

Jeez!

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
                  • Roadfood Insider
                  Re:Oh Yoko! Tue, 09/22/09 11:25 PM (permalink)
                  harriet1954

The last three replies were SO unnecessary. What would you have us do? Not go eat there? Walk back and forth with signs? Honestly, why do you even care about lawsuits, etc.? Seriously, get over yourself! Or better yet, here are the address and the phone number of the establishment, since you're so interested in being negative and so NOT interested in why I put this thread up:

1428 Route 70 West
                  Pine Tree Plaza
                  Cherry Hill, NJ
                  (856) 857-YOKO (that's right! Better call the phone company, too, about that phone number!)

Jeez! 

Please don't tell me to get over myself, because I don't think you have any idea as to what the point was of my post.  I was just having a general discussion as to the choices this restaurant made in using copyrighted images in their commercial establishment.  I know from experience that the estates of artists have been known to go after and close down establishments that use their images.  I have specific exapmles of this exact thing happening.  My point was thaty I hope this restaurant is aware that they are in possible danger of lawsuit, because I would hate to see them shut down.   And I said very clearly that I think the food looks fantastic.  Jeez yourself.

harriet1954

Re:Oh Yoko! Wed, 09/23/09 6:02 AM (permalink)
                    I said the LAST THREE REPLIES. Did I say the screen name pigiron? No, I did not. I'm sure the restaurant knows what "danger" they could be in, but it appears they're NOT. I think it would've happened already, don't you? The Cherry Hill area is TEEMING with lawyers. They've (the restaurant) been around for quite some time already! If they did close down (which and I'll be honest with you, there's SO many great places to eat in this area, and so many Japanese places), I wouldn't be crying about it, the Beatles, a lawsuit, or anything else.

And yes, I TOTALLY and COMPLETELY got your point. I know about having things "stolen". I have had some of my 1970s concert photos (which back then you were allowed to just go and take without any hassle) lifted from my flickr page and used on websites without my permission. And this was before or after I said no, depending on who it was. I'm going to check pretty soon when I have time and see if they've been removed, as I've threatened lawsuits.

And yes, of COURSE the food looks fantastic. It was.

Jeez Louise! Be nice!

senor boogie woogie

• Total Posts: 225
                      Re:Oh Yoko! Thu, 02/18/10 1:24 PM (permalink)
                      How is the Sake?

Are there real Japanese waitresses?

Do you sit on the floor?

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9581
                        Re:Oh Yoko! Thu, 02/18/10 2:12 PM (permalink)
                        harriet1954

I said the LAST THREE REPLIES. Did I say the screen name pigiron? No, I did not. I'm sure the restaurant knows what "danger" they could be in, but it appears they're NOT. I think it would've happened already, don't you? The Cherry Hill area is TEEMING with lawyers. They've (the restaurant) been around for quite some time already! If they did close down (which and I'll be honest with you, there's SO many great places to eat in this area, and so many Japanese places), I wouldn't be crying about it, the Beatles, a lawsuit, or anything else.

And yes, I TOTALLY and COMPLETELY got your point. I know about having things "stolen". I have had some of my 1970s concert photos (which back then you were allowed to just go and take without any hassle) lifted from my flickr page and used on websites without my permission. And this was before or after I said no, depending on who it was. I'm going to check pretty soon when I have time and see if they've been removed, as I've threatened lawsuits.

Jeez Louise! Be nice!

Chill out Harriet and don't be so thin skinned, sensitive and defensive. Those folks were just making General Comments and the tone I took from them was they were just concerned for those people and only wished them well.  Since they've only been in our country a relatively short time, they may not be aware they're skating on thin Ice. Get over it! To quote you, "Jeez Louise, Be Nice!" And in addition, I would definitely not classify this place as "Roadfood". I'm sure it was very good and all that but it ain't Roadfood. Suggest you submit your review to Bon Appetite!

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
                          • Roadfood Insider
                          Re:Oh Yoko! Thu, 02/18/10 2:16 PM (permalink)
                          Foodbme

harriet1954

Jeez Louise! Be nice!

Chill out Harriet and don't be so thin skinned, sensitive and defensive. Those folks were just making General Comments and the tone I took from them was they were just concerned for those people and only wished them well.  Since they've only been in our country a relatively short time, they may not be aware they're skating on thin Ice. Get over it! To quote you, "Jeez Louise, Be Nice!" And in addition, I would definitely not classify this place as "Roadfood". I'm sure it was very good and all that but it ain't Roadfood. Suggest you submit your review to Bon Appetite!

Looks like Roadfood to me.

Foodbme

Re:Oh Yoko! Thu, 02/18/10 2:49 PM (permalink)
                            wanderingjew

Foodbme

harriet1954

Jeez Louise! Be nice!

Which Road are you on? The one going to Tokyo??

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7411
                              • Roadfood Insider
                              Re:Oh Yoko! Thu, 02/18/10 2:57 PM (permalink)
                              Foodbme

wanderingjew

Foodbme

harriet1954

Jeez Louise! Be nice!

If this road is going to Tokyo then I can't imagine why Grimaldi's, Pepe's, Sally's and Patsy's are on roadfood because clearly they should be on the road going to Naples. '

While we're at it, El Charro and just about every listing for Tucson is clearly not roadfood and should be on there way to Acapulco or Mexico City.

And I won't even get started with Milwaukee.

There are many ethnic restaurants on the  Roadfood website that are considered "roadfood"

BTW You won't find a Tuna Maki Roll in Tokyo or anyplace in Japan for that matter. Its an American invention.

<message edited by wanderingjew on Thu, 02/18/10 3:01 PM>

Foodbme

Re:Oh Yoko! Thu, 02/18/10 3:09 PM (permalink)
                                wanderingjew

Foodbme

wanderingjew

Foodbme

harriet1954

Jeez Louise! Be nice!

If this road is going to Tokyo then I can't imagine why Grimaldi's, Pepe's, Sally's and Patsy's are on roadfood because clearly they should be on the road going to Naples. '

While we're at it, El Charro and just about every listing for Tucson is clearly not roadfood and should be on there way to Acapulco or Mexico City.

You won't find a Tuna Maki Roll in Tokyo or anyplace in Japan for that matter. Its an American invention.

I hear you WJ. When I think of what constitutes Roadfood, it's not the Ethnic origins of the Food but more so the price and the presentation, the atmosphere of the place, etc. Harriet did say it was expensive, the pictures depict an upscale presentation.
                                We've been down this road before, (No Pun Intended) on other threads as to what constitutes Roadfood.
                                You Say Toe-MAY-toe, I Say Toe-MA-Toe.  No sense rehashing it all over again.
                                <message edited by Foodbme on Thu, 02/18/10 3:12 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com