Oh Yoko!

Author
harriet1954
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1165
2009/09/04 17:18:24 (permalink)

Oh Yoko!

This thread is almost two months after the fact, but at least the place is still open. My daughter and I visited a local Japanese restaurant for lunch called Oh Yoko! Sushi in Cherry Hill, NJ, on 7/11/09. It's in an unassuming strip shopping center on Route 70 (Marlton Pike). Here's a shot of the exterior.

This is that frosted glass separator when you first walk in. You can see my reflection taking the picture.

The owners, husband and wife Jin Sung and In Mi Jang, who have been in America for six years or so, are really into the Beatles. Beatles music played the entire time we were there, but most of it sounded like remixes.

I ordered the clear soup, on the left, and my daughter ordered the miso. They were both fantastic with lots of flavor.

Here's our drinks. My daughter had that soda that's kind of hard to open and is called a Ramune soda. It has a little marble that pops up. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ramune . I had green tea iced tea that was FULL of flavor and absolutely delicious and just sweet enough.

My daughter ordered Spicy Tuna Maki Rolls. She ate them all like they were cookies.

For my appetizer, I order Kara-age, which is little pieces of fried boneless chicken with a wonderful taste and a great dipping sauce.

I also ordered Deep-Fried Soft Shell Crab. I did NOT like the dipping sauce, which was supposed to be Ponzu sauce (which is citrus-y). This was FISHY and just not a nice sauce for this main dish. I used the dipping sauce that came with the appetizer.

My daughter was happy with her Maki Rolls, but then came the Wasabi Fries! Oh, my God, they were heavenly and 100% addictive. Instantly. They tasted more sweet than spicy, and if you've never had, PLEASE order them! They're NOT that hot Wasabi taste! This was the absolute stand-out of this meal.

Worth another posting of the same thing, huh?

Unbelievable. Not traditional Japanese, but so, so good.

For dessert, my daughter ordered green tea ice cream. This came with tempura fried bananas, and they had a good raspberry sauce on them. It was attractively presented and she really liked the taste. I was too stuffed from the Wasabi Fries, but did have a taste and that was it. I thought it was alright.

The service went from ultra-friendly to kinda coolish towards the end. I think she was expecting us to order much more, but this was lunch, and how much can you eat, especially since we left like one or two Wasbai Fries on the plate? This was not a cheap meal and I won't say how much, but my daughter took me. And oddly enough, she lost her job the next day; isn't that awful?? I paid her half - I couldn't let her pay if she was no longer working.

I would definitely go back to Oh Yoko! Sushi Bar. I cannot report on the sushi because I don't eat it, but I like other types of Japanese food.

Oh Yoko! Sushi Bar
1428 Route 70 West (Marlton Pike)
Pine Tree Plaza
Cherry Hill, NJ
(856) 857-YOKO (9050)

post edited by harriet1954 - 2009/09/04 17:25:04

15 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1