The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Mon, 12/22/03 5:16 AM (permalink)
I really enjoyed Lynne's (Route 11) heartfelt paean to this Nashville landmark and agree with all she said, though my visits were few and took place nearly 20 years ago. My visits were at lunch time and I invariably ordered a blue plate type meal. I liked their food and loved the atmosphere.

My first visit does stand out, however. It was about noon on a fall Saturday and the shop was pretty full. We were tired from a long drive and wanted to just drink some coffee (or tea) and talk for a while. We were going to eat lunch, but not right away. Well, our server - a humorless type - would have none of that. She matter-of-factly told us to order food or hit the street. Feeling shamed, we ordered food.

This in the city I consider the friendliest in the South.

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15069
    • Roadfood Insider
    RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Mon, 12/22/03 7:42 AM (permalink)
    Jim,
    Perhaps that afternoon followed shortly after Kentucky Whupped the Volunteers rather badly on the BAsketball Court. Some folks just cannot confine that competitive spirit to the stadium or arena !

Sundancer7

RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Mon, 12/22/03 8:57 AM (permalink)
      It has been several years since I ate at Elliston's. I believe it is on Church Street. Famous people use to hang out there and I really liked their burgers.

By the way Al, does Kentucky have a football team?

Paul E. Smith
      Knoxville, TN

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Mon, 12/22/03 9:43 AM (permalink)
        I definitely need to get there. Will they let a Nittany Lion in the place??

Art Deco

• Total Posts: 890
          RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Mon, 12/22/03 10:13 AM (permalink)
          It's still a good place. An important thing to know is that they only serve fried chicken on Tuesday and Saturday (they have had one of those rotating lunch special menus) and it is worth planning for. Technically, it is on Elliston Place, but that is essentially an extension of Church Street, running more or less from Baptist Hospital to Centennial Park, just over from the Vandy campus.

Poverty Pete

• Total Posts: 2266
            RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Tue, 12/23/03 7:10 AM (permalink)
            They'll likely let you yankees in for lunch. Just in case they don't, Rotier's is just down the street a few doors. They'll take anybody in. They let ME eat there!

CheeseWit

• Total Posts: 1393
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Tue, 12/23/03 9:14 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by Poverty Pete

They'll likely let you yankees in for lunch. Just in case they don't, Rotier's is just down the street a few doors. They'll take anybody in. They let ME eat there!

Based on my size I think they'll let me in. At 6'3" 300lbs. not many people have refused me service. I just won't wear one of my PSU football shirts. Seriously though, I do want to get there and enjoy their specialties.

Art Deco

RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Tue, 12/23/03 2:46 PM (permalink)
                BTW in the review, the caption under the picture of the "personal juke boxes" that are found at each of the booth tables, implies that the juke boxes are still functional. They are not and have not been for a very long time (over 20 years)...

Poverty Pete

RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Tue, 12/23/03 5:55 PM (permalink)
                  pogophiles,
                  I've been meaning to ask you. Is there any place around Nashville where I can find a good oyster po-boy?

Sundancer7

RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Tue, 12/23/03 6:19 PM (permalink)
                    PovertyPete: I ain't the one you ask, but Nashville ain't the place for oyster poor boys.

It is the place for white fish sandwiches. You can find them in the ethnic part of town and they are great.

Oysters ain't Nashville,s thing. too far north. They may have them, but it ain't what you are looking for.

Paul E. Smith
                    knoxville, TN

Route 11

• Total Posts: 752
                      RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Thu, 12/25/03 11:49 AM (permalink)
                      Thanks for the kind words about the review. If you want a wild time, get hooked up with Prince's Hot Chicken Shack if it's still there.

Go Belmont!

Lynne

Poverty Pete

RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Mon, 12/29/03 8:40 PM (permalink)
                        Prince's is still in business. They keep sort of unusual hours, opening around 3 or 4 in the afternoon, and staying open until after the bars close.

fsb055

• Total Posts: 1
                          RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Mon, 12/29/03 9:17 PM (permalink)
                          Rotier's offers a superior cheeseburger over Elliston Place, as does Brown's Diner. Wendell Smith's in West Nashville has both good burgers and plate lunches. Also somebody said that Betty's Place (formerly The Trolley on 49th near Charlotte) had good burgers. If you want local fast food, try Fat Mo's, but stay away from the HUGE ones. Re: oyster Po Boy's - South Street has a credible one, Florida Seafood Kitchen has an o.k. one. For a really good pork loin Po' Boy, try the one at Patrick's on Division.

Art Deco

RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Tue, 12/30/03 12:13 PM (permalink)
                            Pete -- Wilma Kaye's is probably your best bet. 205 Third Ave., open 11 - 2:30 Mon - Fri.

Poverty Pete

RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Tue, 12/30/03 6:05 PM (permalink)
                              I'll tell ya, Pogo, I've almost become a regular at Kershaw's on the north side. Open for lunch, plenty of parking, and the last time I went, my server told me I was getting two breast quarters, since they were a little bit smaller than normal.

Art Deco

RE: Elliston Place Soda Shop in Nashville, Tennessee Wed, 12/31/03 3:08 PM (permalink)
                                That's good to know, Pete. I'll check 'em out next time I'm on that side of town.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                  • No New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                                  • Read Message
                                  • Post New Thread
                                  • Reply to message
                                  • Post New Poll
                                  • Submit Vote
                                  • Post reward post
                                  • Delete my own posts
                                  • Delete my own threads
                                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com