The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Subway

Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 59 of 59
saps

• Total Posts: 1551
Re:Subway Thu, 09/17/09 4:39 PM (permalink)
tommyeats

saps

It doesn't smell like yeast.

It smells like a yeast infection.

i tend to agree.  and with that nugget now in the back of my head I'll *really* not be able to walk by one.  jeez.

Which one won't you be able to walk by?

For the record, I apologize to all yeast infections for comparing them to Subway.

jellybear

• Total Posts: 1135
    Re:Subway Sat, 09/19/09 11:09 AM (permalink)
    Are you talking about the underground Train Stations ? I've never been to one of them.

JensShelbyGT

• Total Posts: 17
      Re:Subway Sat, 09/19/09 1:41 PM (permalink)
      Hi everyone. I have walked in our local Wal-Mart and been overcome by the stench of the Subway shop baking bread. I swear it makes me almost gag. I usually like the smell of bread baking, but this just doesn't smell normal for some reason.

I have eaten the Italian BMT from Subway before though, I didn't think it was too bad actually.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
        Re:Subway Sat, 09/19/09 2:11 PM (permalink)
        I really believe it's not the bread baking that is the turnoff.  It's the Asiago cheese being baked on to the bread.

Pungent!

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
          Re:Subway Sat, 09/19/09 2:19 PM (permalink)
          Michael Hoffman

Personally, I can't understand how a company that got its start in Bridgeport, Connecticut with real sub sandwiches, could ever have sold a single one of the sandwiches it now makes in Connecticut where they know what a sub is supposed to be.

The plain fact of the matter is folks in the heartland generally have no appreciation or love for crusty and chewy hoagie bread - the same goes for pizza crust.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
            Re:Subway Sat, 09/19/09 4:05 PM (permalink)
            What is hoagie bread. In Connecticut subs and grinders were always made on loaves of Italian bread. One sub, one half loaf.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17826
              Re:Subway Sat, 09/19/09 4:06 PM (permalink)
              mar52

I really believe it's not the bread baking that is the turnoff.  It's the Asiago cheese being baked on to the bread.

Pungent!

I question that, because I've never run into any offputting aroma at Panera, where they bake asiago bread all day long.

db1105

• Total Posts: 185
                Re:Subway Sat, 09/19/09 8:16 PM (permalink)
                I wi;; never understand how anyone can enjoy the garbage they sell at subway, and especially quizno's. The sandwiches they sell are bad, and badder.

NYPIzzaNut

• Total Posts: 3127
                  Re:Subway Sat, 09/19/09 8:28 PM (permalink)
                  Michael Hoffman

What is hoagie bread. In Connecticut subs and grinders were always made on loaves of Italian bread. One sub, one half loaf.
                  If you came from NY you wouldn't be asking.  We also called them wedges.

badbyron722

• Total Posts: 307
                    Re:Subway Sat, 09/19/09 11:38 PM (permalink)
                    Eat Fresh.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7599
                      Re:Subway Sat, 09/19/09 11:46 PM (permalink)

I question that, because I've never run into any offputting aroma at Panera, where they bake asiago bread all day long.

Aha!  Our corner Subway shares the same mini mall with a Panera.  I dislike both equally.

Must be the cheese.

badbyron722

Re:Subway Sun, 09/20/09 12:14 AM (permalink)
                        I like the provalone.Usually get a BMT on Italian bread.add tomatoes,lettuce,onions, black olives,green peppers,jalapenos,mayo,oil & vinegar,salt & pepper.YUM!

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
                          Re:Subway Sun, 09/20/09 12:35 AM (permalink)
                          Michael Hoffman

One of these days I would like to get definitions for each of these baked goods:
                          1. Club Rolls
                          2. Grinder Rolls
                          3. Sub Rolls
                          4. Hero Rolls
                          5. Torpedo Rolls
                          6. Hoagie Rolls
                          7. Wedge Rolls
                          8. Sandwich Rolls
                          9. Steak Rolls

Some of these are rolls and smaller than Italian Bread. Some are parts of a loaf of Italian Bread. You see the names in products from bakers like JJ Cassone and Amoroso's all the way from Boston, out to Fall River, through Providence, then all the way down to Philadelphia. Worse, you can find practically the same roll with the same hardness or softness sold in different cities by different bakeries under two or more names from the above list. I don't think I have ever seen a definitive directory.

David_NYC

Re:Subway Sun, 09/20/09 9:35 AM (permalink)
                            badbyron722

I like the provalone.Usually get a BMT on Italian bread.add tomatoes,lettuce,onions, black olives,green peppers,jalapenos,mayo,oil & vinegar,salt & pepper.YUM!

A sandwich named after one of the three New York Subway companies. It looks like these three initials, BMT, which were a part of my life for so long because all the subways where I grew up were part of the old BMT system, are only going to live on in a sandwich chain:
                            http://www.nytimes.com/1990/06/30/nyregion/about-new-york-alphabet-soup-telling-an-irt-from-a-bmt.html

Since this article almost two decades ago, very few people still use the old designators BMT, IRT, and IND. Sure, burying the names prevents visitors to the city from getting confused. There were also connections built between parts of the BMT and IND  sytems. But, c'mon.

badbyron722

Re:Subway Tue, 09/29/09 12:18 AM (permalink)
                              Intresting David.always wondered about that.

Eatallday

• Total Posts: 76
                                Re:Subway Thu, 10/1/09 9:50 PM (permalink)
                                yea, there is a distinctive smell at subway but it's not so bad.  i like it there, always feel good after eating one of their subs.  i get a large chicken breast on wheat bread(add an extra piece of chicken to make it 3).  extra lettuce, tomatoes, onions, peppers, light mayo, honey mustard, and provolone... good stuff.

MikeS.

• Total Posts: 5360
                                  • Roadfood Insider
                                  Re:Subway Sat, 10/3/09 11:36 PM (permalink)
                                  Well there is no accounting for taste. I like the Subway fresh bread smell. I get a sub there a couple times a month. Including last night.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                                    Re:Subway Sun, 10/4/09 12:08 PM (permalink)
                                    I really didn't want to bump up this thread, but I caught a cute commercial this morning during the Sunday talking heads shows. There's a guy that approaches another's cubicle and mentions doing lunch and where to go. During the exchange, he mentions not going to the "place that makes your clothes smell" or something similar. The advert turns out to be one for the grocery chain Publix's Deli Subs that use Boar's Head meats as a fresher alternative. Gee even one of the largest food chains is onto the Subway Smell. Ya think that Subway can take a hint ? 

Billfish

• Total Posts: 397
                                      Re:Subway Sun, 10/4/09 1:48 PM (permalink)
                                        I don't have any problem with the way the Subway store smells.What bothers me is that sad,sad looking array of meat and vegetables behind the glass.The meat is all portion controlled and even looks tasteless.The vegetables look like they have been there a day or so.Its just depressing.

MiamiDon

Re:Subway Sun, 10/4/09 2:56 PM (permalink)
                                        Billfish

I don't have any problem with the way the Subway store smells.What bothers me is that sad,sad looking array of meat and vegetables behind the glass.The meat is all portion controlled and even looks tasteless.The vegetables look like they have been there a day or so.Its just depressing.

Not all of the Subways use the pre-separated portions.  It's an owner option.  I discussed this with a fellow who was going to invest in Subway rights for a region (he wasn't particulary interested in the food, just the money).

CheeseburgerChet

• Total Posts: 25
                                          Re:Subway Sun, 10/4/09 9:40 PM (permalink)

who
                                          DawnT

I really didn't want to bump up this thread, but I caught a cute commercial this morning during the Sunday talking heads shows. There's a guy that approaches another's cubicle and mentions doing lunch and where to go. During the exchange, he mentions not going to the "place that makes your clothes smell" or something similar. The advert turns out to be one for the grocery chain Publix's Deli Subs that use Boar's Head meats as a fresher alternative. Gee even one of the largest food chains is onto the Subway Smell. Ya think that Subway can take a hint ? 

I love the smell, a grocery store sub is just that a grocery store sub, ewwwwwwww, Boar's Head meats are no better than Echrich or Goeles to me just pricier.

CheeseburgerChet

• Total Posts: 25
                                            Re:Subway Sun, 10/4/09 9:50 PM (permalink)
                                            What do you like mar52?

saps

• Total Posts: 1551
                                              Re:Subway Sun, 10/4/09 10:09 PM (permalink)
                                              A grocery store sub is a grocery store sub.  It's what Subway aspires to be.

The safest thing when going in a Subway is to bring a canary in a cage and put it in the Subway store.  If it survives for 5 minutes, it means that the smell is not toxic and it is safe to enter in  the store.

Big Kahuna Kooks

• Total Posts: 490
                                                Re:Subway Tue, 10/6/09 11:45 AM (permalink)
                                                Don't know what it is, but I like the smell. bkk

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                                                  Re:Subway Tue, 10/6/09 7:58 PM (permalink)
                                                   I recently left Walmart with two bags of groceries. When i got home i opened one and a big fart of Subway stench blasted into my kitchen! Gross! And BTW, it really please me that Subway has a location in every airport terminal now. I really appreciate the moron who has to wait until the plane is all sealed up before opening this foul smellling junk! Carry-on food should be banned because of this! LOL!

bartl

• Total Posts: 1208
                                                    Re:Subway Wed, 10/14/09 12:16 PM (permalink)
                                                    jeepguy
                                                      I recently left Walmart with two bags of groceries. When i got home i opened one and a big fart of Subway stench blasted into my kitchen! Gross! And BTW, it really please me that Subway has a location in every airport terminal now. I really appreciate the moron who has to wait until the plane is all sealed up before opening this foul smellling junk! Carry-on food should be banned because of this! LOL!

Subway has fresh, healthy options, and they honor their sale prices (like their $5 footlongs) at airport terminals. This makes them VERY popular among those who WORK at the terminals, who would just as soon not have to pay $8.95 for a hot dog (although I made a great find at Newark Airport; behind Terminal A there is a small bus parking lot (no parking, but standing is allowed) with a lunch wagon with decent food at decent prices; if you're picking someone up, you can put your car there, run to the lunch wagon, grab a snack, and sit and wait in your car until your friend/relative calls you on your cell phone to pick them up).

Bart
                                                    <message edited by bartl on Wed, 10/14/09 12:18 PM>

LexiLev

• Total Posts: 21
                                                      Re:Subway Thu, 10/15/09 12:53 PM (permalink)
                                                      baileysoriginal

. . . . to me is the most over rated and over priced fast food place out there for what you get for your dollar. 

I'd describe that as Quiznots.

I agree with the Original Poster.  I like the smell of a Subway restaurant.

David_NYC

• Location: New York, NY
                                                        Re:Subway Tue, 10/5/10 7:46 PM (permalink)
                                                        From my post of last year:
                                                        David_NYC

................ It is now clear to me there is a flavoring agent supplied from an external source. The only other baked item I can think of that does this is garlic bagels, made with commercially prepared rather then fresh garlic.  
                                                        ADDENDUM: About this flavoring agent, I don't think it is coming from an Air Wick-type contraption. I think it is being directly applied to the bread, either mixed in with the dough or sprayed on the exterior surface of the dough.

Today I was in a surburban strip mall shopping center. About 100 feet from me was a Subway. Suddenly, the mild breeze gave me a whiff of that unique sour smell of a Subway smell. So, I decided to have lunch there and see what I could learn. I noticed there was only bread proofing, but no bread baking. There was also only a mild smell within the store itself.

Observing the construction behind the counter, there was what amounted to a hood constructed of wallboard above the area occupied by the toasting oven, bread storage cabinet, and baking/proofing oven. Directly above the baking/proofing oven (inside the larger hood) was a metal hood which had an exhaust duct at the top of it. This was apparently the route the smell was taking to reach 100 feet from the restaurant. About 10 minutes before I left, they filled the oven with dough sticks from the proofer. When I left, there was very little smell outside the store. This concurs with what one former manager posted on a  message board; that the smell comes from bread being proofed. I decided to do a little dumpster diving and "liberated" an empty box that some frozen Italian (White) Bread Dough Sticks came in. The ingredients list caused me to re-think what I posted last year, since there was nothing in the list that would obviously qualify as a external flavoring agent. Turns out Subway also lists their ingredients on their web site:
                                                        http://www.subway.com/applications/NutritionInfo/Files/usProdIngredients.pdf

Contrary to my earlier suppositions, there do not appear to be any external flavoring agents used. Perhaps someone with commercial baking knowledge might be able to shed some light on if these ingredients could produce that distinctive Subway "smell".

MiamiDon

Re:Subway Wed, 10/6/10 7:21 AM (permalink)
                                                          Dave the Food Sleuth comes through again!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                            Change Page: < 12 | Showing page 2 of 2, messages 31 to 59 of 59

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                            • No New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                            • Read Message
                                                            • Post New Thread
                                                            • Reply to message
                                                            • Post New Poll
                                                            • Submit Vote
                                                            • Post reward post
                                                            • Delete my own posts
                                                            • Delete my own threads
                                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com