Helpful ReplyHot!Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.)

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
ocalaFL
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 40
2009/09/17 19:37:15 (permalink)

Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.)

“All-The-Way” Hot Dog Topping
(aka: Chili sauce, Coney, Texas wiener, among others)

This recipe came from a restaurant that was built around selling hot dogs with this exact recipe. Many establishments sell a similar topping in North East New Jersey, such as Clixe’s, Johnny & Hanges, Libby’s Lunch, Falls View, Goffle Grill, just to name a few. The taste is just spectacular and after trying it, you won’t want a dog without it.

A bit of history: (names and/or relationships may be changed to protect both the innocent and guilty)
This recipe was accidentally submitted by a person (wife, son, daughter, covert operator) for inclusion in a church cookbook. All the recipes were photocopied so the originals could be returned. The owner of the restaurant, upon learning his secret recipe could be out, immediately came to my house looking for the submission. He asked if it had been copied yet and since my mother was handling the whole thing, I was not sure and simply answered “no”. He snatched the recipe from my hand and as I look back on this, he let out a huge sigh of relief as he walked away. Later when my mother came home, I told her what had happened and she immediately got the copies, THERE IT WAS! No heading at all, just the recipe along with a bunch of side notes, she knew what it was and we had the only copy in existence not in possession of the owner. Equations had to be worked out from such a large volume down to family size portions, but it was done and the following recipe is the final result. I hope you all enjoy it.

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef
2 8oz cans tomato paste
2 cups water
1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp cumin
1 ½ tbsp chili powder
¾ tbsp paprika
¾ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic salt
½ tsp celery seed
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
6 oz Heinz ketchup
2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup finely chopped onion and another 2 cups that do not go into the recipe.

The process is just as important as the ingredients, so please do not try to rush this.
1) Put all measured dry ingredients above into a small bowl and mix well, set aside.
2) Brown the ground beef while breaking it into the smallest pieces possible, drain most of the grease, leave a little.
3) Add tomato paste and water directly to the pan with the beef, medium heat, combine well.
4) Sprinkle all dry ingredients evenly into beef/tomato paste mixture while keeping a medium to low heat.
5) Add all other remaining ingredients to pan and stir/mix well. Remember, only 1 cup onion goes in.
6) Slow simmer for at least 1 hour, adding water as necessary so as not to dry out or burn.

Your final sauce should have enough consistency so it does not drip or get too runny, yet thin enough not to clump into a ball.

Hot dogs should be deep fried until the outside has a bit of a snap when biting into it.

Open hot dog bun and put about 1 tbsp chopped onion evenly down center from end to end, add hot dog, then top with all-the-way sauce until dog is covered. EAT.

Note: I found out Clixe’s is no longer around, owner passed away and sons did not want to keep it going, heavy sigh.
post edited by ocalaFL - 2009/09/17 19:44:25
John Fox
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2336
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/17 20:10:14 (permalink)
So this is Clixe's recipe. I went there once some years ago on a Sunday and they were closed that day. By the time I got a chance to go again they were closed for good. Thanks for the recipe.
ocalaFL
Junior Burger
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/17 20:11:23 (permalink)
Forgot to mention you can cut the recipe in half... two pounds is a lot but it freezes well. Just put it in a container or freezer bag and will keep up to 6 months or more.

You will need a little more water when making the thawed sauce, for some reason it seems to be a bit dry without it.

Any other questions I would be happy to answer, and NO I can't tell you which restaurant it came from.
ocalaFL
Junior Burger
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/17 20:15:50 (permalink)
John Fox

So this is Clixe's recipe. I went there once some years ago on a Sunday and they were closed that day. By the time I got a chance to go again they were closed for good. Thanks for the recipe.

My note on the bottom of the post was just inform people it is not there anymore so they don't go crazy trying to find it. Enjoy the sauce.

nice try though
John Fox
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/17 20:18:15 (permalink)
Well, I thought perhaps it was a sigh of relief that no one from Clixes would find out that you had the recipe. Can you tell me if the recipe is from a New Jersey establishment?
ocalaFL
Junior Burger
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/17 20:25:07 (permalink)
John Fox

Well, I thought perhaps it was a sigh of relief that no one from Clixes would find out that you had the recipe. Can you tell me if the recipe is from a New Jersey establishment?

Yes it is, 100% New Jersey, and has been around for at least 35 years that I know of.

The heavy sigh is because I will miss going there, they had the best fries.
John Fox
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/17 20:33:46 (permalink)
Thanks. Is it still open?
CCinNJ
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7778
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/17 20:40:17 (permalink)
So it has been long enough not to expect  anyone to be coming around to "pssst...have a word"  if I decide to make this one afternoon as I innocently mind my own business in my New Jersey home having never had chili on a hot dog?

Thanks for the recipe. Like Elaine from Seinfeld with the soup recipes.

post edited by CCinNJ - 2009/09/17 20:42:42
myterry2
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 532
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/17 21:44:10 (permalink)
Sounds great...will definitely be trying the receipe this weekend.
Thanx.
ocalaFL
Junior Burger
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/17 23:37:45 (permalink)
John Fox

Thanks. Is it still open?

Sorry, no hints

But I bet a few owners of hot dog joints in NJ are getting calls right now... "hey, your secret recipe is on the net!"

BTW - the onions usually go on top of the dog, not in the bottom of the bun, but it is a bit less messy my way.

I would LOVE to hear from the people who go on the Hot Dog Tour in that area and see who's recipe they think it is
ScreenBear
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/18 00:27:56 (permalink)
Too hard.

The Bear
ocalaFL
Junior Burger
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/18 01:59:30 (permalink)
ScreenBear

Too hard.

The Bear

Time consuming and labor intensive - YES,..... Too hard? well, nothing worth while in life is easy.

That is why I do 2lbs at a time. I don't want to make this every time I want a decent hot dog.

I guess that is why the restaurants are so successful, nobody wants to make it at home - too hard.

Try it at least once, you WILL spend more than 2 hours in the kitchen easily, but it is SOOOOOO GOOD!
post edited by ocalaFL - 2009/09/18 02:08:28
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/18 07:12:53 (permalink)
This looks like a great recipe. I will try it for sure. I love it when someone breaks out one of there secret recipes. I wish someone would compile a thread or a cookbook of all the ones posted here in the past. I have several but many more exist on this site. Doesn't Uncle Vic collect them?...Russ
seafarer john
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3481
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/18 09:18:07 (permalink)
That sauce seems a lot like what we enjoy here in the Hudson Valley. Except that it has a lot more ginger, cinnamon, and nutmeg than is likely to be found here , and seems to lack the heat from hot pepper- and ours has yesterdays ground-up hotdogs instead of any hamburger at all. Also, the standard serving here is: bun, hotdog, mustard, sauce, onion in that order.

I remember how much I enjoyed the hot dogs at Hot Grill when John Fox took us there on the first NJ hot dog tour - the recipe above seems a lot like what I remember from the Hot Grill. But, I'm not sure that sauce had any hamburger in it - maybe it did - it would be hard to tell without a thorough dissection .

Cheers, John  

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/18 13:47:32 (permalink)
If you do not mind me asking what was the total volume of the original recipe (in terms of meat)? When you scaled the recipe down to two lbs. of meat did you factor down the liquid & spice proportions as equally or did you use any other factors?
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6283
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/18 15:42:31 (permalink)
Hey,thanks for the recipe...will try it!!!
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/18 22:31:36 (permalink)
Sounds great! I can't wait to try.

I want to make some for my Grandmother. It's hard living near 7 texas weiner places (they were all within a 5 minute driving range) all your life and then moving an hour south where there's NONE!
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1600
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/18 23:18:40 (permalink)
<<It's hard living near 7 texas weiner places (they were all within a 5 minute driving range) all your life and then moving an hour south where there's NONE! >>

I'm not sure I follow your point. Are you saying there's no Texas Wiener places near Edison?? How about J & G or Texas Weiner 1 (Downtown Plainfield) or 2 (rt 22), or Middlesex Texas Wiener? None of these are more than 15 minutes from Edison.

The two most noted areas for Texas Wieners are the area around Paterson and the area around Plainfield.
ocalaFL
Junior Burger
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/19 01:28:38 (permalink)
CCinNJ

If you do not mind me asking what was the total volume of the original recipe (in terms of meat)? When you scaled the recipe down to two lbs. of meat did you factor down the liquid & spice proportions as equally or did you use any other factors?

I remember a bunch of books on the table trying to figure out equivalent measures (yes, actual books before the internet), for all the spices, liquids, etc. so it was done according to whatever calculations needed to be made.

I know in baking there are rules to be followed when changing the amount of servings, I am assuming these were applied.... or something similar, I was very young then and really not interested. I can tell you however that we did do a side by side test and you could not taste the difference, nobody could.
yuppicide
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 226
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/19 15:42:30 (permalink)
If you read the rest of my message I said I want to make some for my Grandmother. She sold the house and moved down to Whiting in the Pine Barrens. She's in the middle of nowhere and just to get anywhere is at least 15 minute drive. There are two hot dog places I know, but each one is 30 minutes away or more.

For me, I live in Cranbury. Nothing down here as well. Tommy's South had opened up, but his food sucked, and he closed pretty quick. He was related to Tommy's in Elizabeth. While his sausage was among the best I've ever had and his pizza crust was fabulous, his Italian hot dogs sucked. The potatoes were wet and mushy.

ken8038

<<It's hard living near 7 texas weiner places (they were all within a 5 minute driving range) all your life and then moving an hour south where there's NONE! >>

I'm not sure I follow your point. Are you saying there's no Texas Wiener places near Edison?? How about J & G or Texas Weiner 1 (Downtown Plainfield) or 2 (rt 22), or Middlesex Texas Wiener? None of these are more than 15 minutes from Edison.

The two most noted areas for Texas Wieners are the area around Paterson and the area around Plainfield.

Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10284
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/20 13:09:12 (permalink)
Made the Recipe Yesterday1 It was excellent. One of the better Hot Dog Sauces I've had.

Here's a Technique I used to break up the meat. I got it from an Original Greek Hot Dog Sauce Recipe someone posted a while back. It works great.
"To get the right consistency, break up the meat in a bowl & cover the meat with water & Ice and soak for 30 minutes. 
Line a colander with 2-3 layers of Cheese Cloth, remove any ice from the bowl and drain the meat. You can make a packet with the Cheese cloth and squeeze to remove excess water. The meat in the cheese cloth makes it easy to transport to the pan." Another option is to use a large, fine-mesh sieve to drain the meat. You get perfect Coney Sauce Texture and Consistancy every time.
post edited by Foodbme - 2009/09/20 13:16:49
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1600
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/20 13:17:12 (permalink)
<<If you read the rest of my message I said I want to make some for my Grandmother. She sold the house and moved down to Whiting in the Pine Barrens. >>

Sorry, I thought you were talking about Edison.

<<Tommy's South had opened up, but his food sucked, and he closed pretty quick. He was related to Tommy's in Elizabeth.>>

Yea, I went there once and I was not impressed, they didn't get it right. I wasn't surprised when it closed.
ocalaFL
Junior Burger
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/24 00:33:43 (permalink)
Any reviews? Liked it, hated it? There were lots of views and would like to see some feedback since it is an actual restaurant recipe. I have others but will not post them until I have a "yes" or "no" on this one.

If my efforts were appreciated, I would like to know. If not, then I won't bother to do so anymore. Must be the NJ attitude in me. 
mar52
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7959
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/24 10:09:45 (permalink)
Look 2 posts above yours.

fcbaldwin
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 388
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/24 10:27:25 (permalink)

I just ran across this thread yesterday. Your recipe looks really good and I plan to make it asap hopefully this weekend.
Thanks for posting it!
DawnT
  • Total Posts : 1286
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/24 12:59:31 (permalink)
I made this last evening down to the letter. Gulden's,Heinz,L&P.  Two thumbs down. Don't know what to make of the taste personally, but there seems to be no homology to the taste and nobody else would eat it. My spouse, who lived in NJ for a few years was expecting something like Castleberry's, my Dad who was born in NY swears up and down he never had a hot dog with a coney island style sauce, just mustard and kraut.
MikeS.
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 5422
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/25 02:08:53 (permalink)
ocalaFL, keep 'em coming.
Spackelman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/25 10:08:23 (permalink)
ocalaFL

Any reviews? Liked it, hated it? There were lots of views and would like to see some feedback since it is an actual restaurant recipe. I have others but will not post them until I have a "yes" or "no" on this one.

If my efforts were appreciated, I would like to know. If not, then I won't bother to do so anymore. Must be the NJ attitude in me. 

I grew up in So Plainfield, NJ.  The Plainfield Texas Weiner (was) is the best.  As a kid, my dad would take me there and I ate 3 or 4 texas weiners at a sitting. The hot dogs have to be shickhause brand (spell check).

Texas Weiner II, on route  22 west in Greenbrook, NJ and the joint on Route 28 in Dunellen, NJ are second best for the weiners.  Absolutley love the texas weiner style hot dog - we called them "death dogs" for obvious reasons...

The chili sauce was always a mystery for me.  Will attempt to make the sauce over the next few days.  Only hoping is comes out with the same taste as I remember.

Thanks for posting the receipe...

CCinNJ
Sirloin
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/26 22:25:42 (permalink)
This may sound kooky but I am going to use this recipe as a base for cottage pie...of sorts.

From there...maybe for hot dogs!  

It is greatly appreciated.
tcrouzer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 431
Re:Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) 2009/09/27 10:49:04 (permalink)
This morning I made this recipe and while I do like the combination of spices, it seemed a little flat to me, so I added 1 TB cider vinegar and a little Texas Pete hot sauce to zip it up for me. This is a good recipe, but I guess I'm just used to my Aiken SC Pool Hall hot dog chili which is my usual recipe and somewhat simpler.

I'm always willing to try new hot dog chili sauce recipes -- so, thanks very much for posting this one.
teresa
Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1