The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.)

ocalaFL

• Total Posts: 40
Authentic New Jersey "All-The-Way" Sauce (a.k.a.: Coney, Texas Weiner, Chili, etc.) Thu, 09/17/09 7:37 PM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
“All-The-Way” Hot Dog Topping
(aka: Chili sauce, Coney, Texas wiener, among others)

This recipe came from a restaurant that was built around selling hot dogs with this exact recipe. Many establishments sell a similar topping in North East New Jersey, such as Clixe’s, Johnny & Hanges, Libby’s Lunch, Falls View, Goffle Grill, just to name a few. The taste is just spectacular and after trying it, you won’t want a dog without it.

A bit of history: (names and/or relationships may be changed to protect both the innocent and guilty)
This recipe was accidentally submitted by a person (wife, son, daughter, covert operator) for inclusion in a church cookbook. All the recipes were photocopied so the originals could be returned. The owner of the restaurant, upon learning his secret recipe could be out, immediately came to my house looking for the submission. He asked if it had been copied yet and since my mother was handling the whole thing, I was not sure and simply answered “no”. He snatched the recipe from my hand and as I look back on this, he let out a huge sigh of relief as he walked away. Later when my mother came home, I told her what had happened and she immediately got the copies, THERE IT WAS! No heading at all, just the recipe along with a bunch of side notes, she knew what it was and we had the only copy in existence not in possession of the owner. Equations had to be worked out from such a large volume down to family size portions, but it was done and the following recipe is the final result. I hope you all enjoy it.

Ingredients:
2 lbs ground beef
2 8oz cans tomato paste
2 cups water
1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp cumin
1 ½ tbsp chili powder
¾ tbsp paprika
¾ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic salt
½ tsp celery seed
¼ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground pepper
6 oz Heinz ketchup
2 tbsp spicy brown mustard
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 cup finely chopped onion and another 2 cups that do not go into the recipe.

The process is just as important as the ingredients, so please do not try to rush this.
1) Put all measured dry ingredients above into a small bowl and mix well, set aside.
2) Brown the ground beef while breaking it into the smallest pieces possible, drain most of the grease, leave a little.
3) Add tomato paste and water directly to the pan with the beef, medium heat, combine well.
4) Sprinkle all dry ingredients evenly into beef/tomato paste mixture while keeping a medium to low heat.
5) Add all other remaining ingredients to pan and stir/mix well. Remember, only 1 cup onion goes in.
6) Slow simmer for at least 1 hour, adding water as necessary so as not to dry out or burn.

Your final sauce should have enough consistency so it does not drip or get too runny, yet thin enough not to clump into a ball.

Hot dogs should be deep fried until the outside has a bit of a snap when biting into it.

Open hot dog bun and put about 1 tbsp chopped onion evenly down center from end to end, add hot dog, then top with all-the-way sauce until dog is covered. EAT.

Note: I found out Clixe’s is no longer around, owner passed away and sons did not want to keep it going, heavy sigh.
<message edited by ocalaFL on Thu, 09/17/09 7:44 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com