The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Paducah's BBQ on the River 9/23 - 9/26 (Western Kentucky)

JensShelbyGT

• Total Posts: 17
Paducah's BBQ on the River 9/23 - 9/26 (Western Kentucky) Sat, 09/19/09 1:14 PM (permalink)
I'm getting psyched y'all! I can't wait to smell and taste the bbq, as we do every September. This year the event begins with "Porkstock" at exactly 5:07 pm on wednesday.   Last year 40,000 people attended and 60,000 pounds of pork and chicken were consumed. You can basically find just about anything you could want to eat, lots and lots of concessions. Here's some info in case anyone is interested. http://www.bbqontheriver.org/  Come one, come all!

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15060
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Paducah's BBQ on the River 9/23 - 9/26 (Western Kentucky) Sat, 09/19/09 3:29 PM (permalink)
     Sounds like a real good time. Watch for the two black Scotties attached to the Mayor and his bride. I think our plans for a dinner at Does on the square in Paducah Friday evening just got sidetracked !!  We will be in town Friday afternoon to Saturday Noonish.  What events are best for semi-senior-citizen visitors???
    <message edited by mayor al on Sat, 09/19/09 3:32 PM>

JensShelbyGT

Re:Paducah's BBQ on the River 9/23 - 9/26 (Western Kentucky) Sat, 09/19/09 5:16 PM (permalink)
      mayor al

Sounds like a real good time. Watch for the two black Scotties attached to the Mayor and his bride. I think our plans for a dinner at Does on the square in Paducah Friday evening just got sidetracked !!  We will be in town Friday afternoon to Saturday Noonish.  What events are best for semi-senior-citizen visitors???

I'll keep an eye out for the two of you Mayor Al. I know how good those steaks are at Does, but I don't blame you for skipping them this time around. Porkstock is only on wednesday night, so that will be over with when y'all arrive. I haven't really checked out all the event schedules, but I know there will be music, usually some blues, country, and classic rock acts. Then there is the hog calling contest. I'm sure there will be other things too, I think you two will have a good time. I always love walking around to all the booths, of course they all have a theme, and checking out all that meat cooking. We scope them all out and then decide which ones to try out. I suggest to consider eating at around 5-6 pm friday evening because I have seen some booths run out of bbq by 8:00.  There should be a list of the booths and what charities they are cooking for on the website link. It also tells you what other concessions will be there and what they will be selling. Last year they were even selling frozen pickle juice.   Hope you two enjoy your visit. 

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
        Re:Paducah's BBQ on the River 9/23 - 9/26 (Western Kentucky) Sat, 09/19/09 6:39 PM (permalink)
        They describe a massive public BBQ feeding at 10:30AM Saturday morning (...til the 60 tons of BBQ is gone!) Have you ever participated in that event?  We will check into our motel then head downtown Friday afternoon.  Then Saturday morning we wil do the same thing on our way out of town!  We had planned a Thursday Meal at the Catfish Hotel near the Shiloh Battlefield in Tennessee, dinner at Lathams BBQ in Jackson TN, the Friday Dinner at Does and Saturday evening stop at the Moonlite in Owensboro on the way home.

I am very happy you posted about the Paducah event when you did!!! It has caused a major change in plans, but what the heck !!! Both Janet and I are looking forward to the weekend trip !  Please keep an eye open for us and say hi if we cross paths. If the crowd is really big we won't take the dogs out, but hopefully they will be with us as we wander the booths.

JensShelbyGT

Re:Paducah's BBQ on the River 9/23 - 9/26 (Western Kentucky) Sat, 09/19/09 7:56 PM (permalink)
          They (all the competitors) will be selling bbq friday evening, we usually head downtown around 5 or so. It's usually starting to get pretty crowded by then, but not as crowded as saturday. That is when a massive crowd of people will be swarm in to pig out, plus they will also announce the winners of the competition on saturday. We usually try to go on both friday evening and then on saturday morning. Sometimes on saturday we just end up picking up several items and bring them home to eat later.

I'm glad I posted when I did too, I'm glad you two will be able to make it. We always love going to it. Everything will be located directly across the street from Does. That whole section of streets and parkings lots will be full of bbq teams smoking it up and concessions selling all kinds of goodies. Y'all will probably smell the smoke when you hit Paducah. LOL I will definately keep an eye out for you two, I will look for your little Scotties. Hope to see you there!

JensShelbyGT

Re:Paducah's BBQ on the River 9/23 - 9/26 (Western Kentucky) Sat, 09/19/09 10:05 PM (permalink)
            Mayor Al,
             Hubby just reminded me of the leash/muzzle ordinance. All dogs have to be restrained by an open-ended muzzle. A few years ago there was a pit bull that attacked a pony in the pony ride at Tater Day in Marshall County. After that , a lot of area counties implemented a muzzle ordinance during special events. Since you were planning on taking your two Scotties, just thought I'd tell you in case you didn't know. The ordinance is posted here.
            http://paducahdowntown.com/

mayor al

• Roadfood Insider
              Re:Paducah's BBQ on the River 9/23 - 9/26 (Western Kentucky) Wed, 09/23/09 4:01 PM (permalink)
              Thanks for the heads-up about the doggie restraints. Our two rural-friendly Scotties would probably lick someone to death or beat them up with wagging tails ! We don't take them out into 'large crowds' to avoid any problems that might arise in dog-to-stranger, or dog-to-dog contacts. They may ride with us if it is cool enough, but will remain in the kennel-truck  and not 'work the crowd' downtown !

We are loading up for an early departure tomorrow morning, and plan for an early  afternoon arrival on Friday, in Paducah. Hope to meet you somewhere near Does Friday eve or Saturday morning.

Here we are with Duff visible on Janets lap. (to help in recognition).

<message edited by mayor al on Wed, 09/23/09 4:06 PM>

JensShelbyGT

Re:Paducah's BBQ on the River 9/23 - 9/26 (Western Kentucky) Fri, 09/25/09 12:11 AM (permalink)
                Thanks for posting the pic Mayor, I'll keep an eye out for y'all. I love Scotties, they're so cute!  Today was a wash out (2-3 inches of rain) and the crowd was down, but once the rain let up, the bbq lovers started to roll in. They are calling for rain again tomorrow, kind of an off and on thing, so maybe it won't be too bad. There will be bbq no matter what., rain or shine. We are heading down tomorrow evening, probably around 4-5 I'd say. I'm ready for some ribs, and some chicken, and some shoulder, can't forget the cajun corn too. LOL  If you hear someone hollering "Mayor Al" you'll know it's me. Hope you both  have a great trip, but don't forget the umbrella just in case!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                  • No New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                  • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                  • Locked w/ New Messages
                  • Locked w/o New Messages
                  • Read Message
                  • Post New Thread
                  • Reply to message
                  • Post New Poll
                  • Submit Vote
                  • Post reward post
                  • Delete my own posts
                  • Delete my own threads
                  • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                  What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com