The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Chicago to Clearwater, FL

tsores

• Total Posts: 653
Chicago to Clearwater, FL Sun, 12/28/03 5:06 PM (permalink)
Driving from Chicago to Clearwater, FL (Tampa) area. Departing 11:00 AM CST Monday, Dec 29. Any ideas on where to eat along the way? Driving map included at Mapquest site, below. I know this is short notice but any help is appreciated.

Tsores

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/main.adp?go=1&do=nw&cl=EN&un=m&ct=NA&1y=US&1a=&1c=highland+park&1s=il&1z=&1ah=&2y=US&2a=400+mandalay+ave&2c=clearwater&2s=fl&2z=&2ah=&formtype1=address&formtype2=address&idx=0&id=3fef5174-001fd-02d56-400c2549&aid=3fef5174-001fe-02d56-400c2549

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
    RE: Chicago to Clearwater, FL Mon, 12/29/03 3:41 AM (permalink)
    If you enjoy authentic barbeque, here's a suggestion from the Stern's books (chosen for its proximity to I 75): Melear's Barbecue on highway 85 in Fayettesville, Georgia. They are just south of Atlanta. There are 2 other Melear's in the area, but you want to visit this one. Jane and Michael called it "a north Georgia" pork shrine. They're open every day but Sunday. Phone number: 770-461-7180

Here's what Michael Stern's review said:

Reviewers Ratings Visit Again 100%
    Food 100%
    Atmosphere 100%
    Miles Worth Driving 100 Miles

Three generations of the Melear family have been known as barbecue men; and Kenneth Melear’s place on the road south out of Atlanta has built a solid smokehouse reputation for more than forty years. It is a place to eat pork by the sandwich, on a partitioned plate, or from a bowl, or to take it home by the pound. What sweet pork it is, infused with the taste of hickory and oak pit smoke and accented by a vinegar sauce. The sauce has just the right amount of sweetness to harmonize with the meat and is only gently peppery. There is a hot version available for customers to add, but fair warning: It is ferociously hot! We suggest putting some on the side of a plate and using it as an occasional dip.

The most interesting pork variation is the sandwich, which comes on white bread, the outside of which is toasted crisp on the grill, thus adding textural drama to the otherwise totally tender meal. On the pork plate you get potato chips, pickles, bread, and a smooth, rib-sticking Brunswick stew … which is, in fact, yet another form of pork, in this case, pulverized to the consistency of a fine hash.

To accompany these elemental smokehouse meals, Melear's serves spectacular iced tea – extremely pre-sweetened, as is the custom in this part of the country, presented in tumblers that are a foot tall and about half again as wide at the mouth. When you get to the bottom of this tub, it is refilled on the house; and it will continue to be refilled for as long as you are parked in a high-backed chair at one of Melear's aged wood tables. - Michael Stern, 7/15/2000

JimInKy

• Total Posts: 599
      RE: Chicago to Clearwater, FL Mon, 12/29/03 3:46 AM (permalink)
      There's still time to stop at a Barnes and Noble or Borders and pick up a copy of Jane and Michael's most recent dining guide: Roadfood (2002) You could even stop at a bookstore en route, or buy the book before returning home (I've said here that the few dollars paid for the Stern's dining guides is the best money I ever spent).

You can also access restaurant reviews here on the Web site to find places along your route. I've used PCs in community libraries when traveling for just this purpose. Maybe you have a desktop PC you can take along.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com