"Family Platters"

Author
DawnT
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1286
2009/11/02 11:55:21 (permalink)

"Family Platters"

Many years ago, BBQ restaurants offered a Family Platter as part of the menu down here. It was sort of the same plating wherever you went and you knew what to expect. Pretty creative arrangement now that I think of it for BBQ that must have originated somewhere.  It usually was a round serving platter that I'm guessing was 16"-18" with a pot of baked beans in the center, a sloping bed of french fries and sometimes corn bread hushpuppies mixed in surrounding the earthenware pot. On this bed of fries, Half of a chicken, about 5-6 ribs,two mounds of sliced pork and sliced beef were radially arranged in a fasion where the meat,chicken,and ribs met the top lip of the pot and sloped down the sides to the rim of the platter completely concealing the fries underneath. It was a rather impressive arrangement. I imagine rising prices during the early 70's made this impractical as most places still remaining in business dropped these from the menu by '71-'72. I don't know if this was a South and Central Fl thing or if this was common throught the states. We traveled quite a bit on weekends and holidays and I remember that you didn't seem to see this beyond Martin county b/c that was what my parents would generally order if they had it. In fact, seems like further north that you went, BBQ was served on plates and not tablecraft baskets and those heavy,pressed paper plates with wax paper. Oh yeah, something else that I've mentioned b4, sauce was usually served in syrup dispensers kept warm in hot water baths. Anyone else remember an arrangement like this?

21 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1