How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO)

Author
EatingTheRoad
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1205
2009/11/02 17:47:03 (permalink)

How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO)

Ever wonder the best way to eat a chicken wing?
http://eatingtheroad.word...-to-eat-food-properly/

I found some awesome/funny videos on how to eat:
Sushi
Bananas
Watermelon (at a business lunch)
Crawfish
15 lbs of hot dogs

17 Replies Related Threads

Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/03 14:21:11 (permalink)
    Funny, yes. Will it get strange stares in buffalo? Hell yes! No self respecting wing eat would ever do that. Plus, I hope the person doesn't do that at parties...he double dipped!

But all in good fun!

SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1003
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/03 18:24:35 (permalink)
    I always pull the little bone out and eat the meat off the big bone. I had a really hard time typing that.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5550
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/04 15:57:53 (permalink)
    never done that.
    GNeedles59
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 594
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/04 16:01:37 (permalink)
    Meh, I like my method better.
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/04 17:25:35 (permalink)
    ....pray tell GNeedles59
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 892
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/04 20:59:56 (permalink)
    I tried the experiment of eating wings with the method demonstrated in that video. (For Science!)

My control method of eating flat wings: take a bite out of one side, take a bite out of the other, separate the bones a bit to get at the chicken between the bones.

Results: I was able to debone the wings as the video demonstrated. In six tries, I was never able to debone it cleanly; I always ended up with a ragged piece of muscle. (I presume this would change with practice) The bones came out cleanly, with occasional shreds of meat adhering to them.

This was probably 150% more work than the control method, for 50% more meat. However, that tradeoff is mostly value-neutral to me--if I really cared about eating every shred of flesh or about how much work I was doing to eat, I probably would order something other than wings.
    One clear but minor advantage of this deboning method over the control method: once the wing was deboned, each bite of the piece carried sauce with it. (With the control method, the between-the-bones morsel often has no sauce at all.)

Conclusion: the method depicted in the video is one among many reasonable ways to eat a flat wing.
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/04 21:14:00 (permalink)
    ralphmelton thank you for the thorough analysis. I plan on doing my own experimenting myself this weekend.

I believe, as you mentioned, that the main advantage of the demonstrated method is the surface area available for sauces. This, in my opinion, far outweighs the meat procurement as one could surely find a way to gopher all of said meat from bone.

A question, were the wings thoroughly cooked as the video mentions this may be a problem in application of the method.

I will report back on my findings once I have empirical data.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/04 21:54:56 (permalink)
    One additional note: I think that my hands got greasier with the video's method than with the control method, because I was handling the wing more. This also doesn't matter much--if I feared getting my hands messy, I'd choose something besides wings or adopt the inscrutable Occidental ways of Buffalo Tarheel.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/04 21:58:37 (permalink)
    The wings were thoroughly cooked, a bit overdone for my taste.
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/16 08:47:11 (permalink)
    I recently attempted to employ this technique. I found it extremely difficult to remove the first smaller bone as easily and cleanly as the video depicts. Maybe it was due how the wing was cooked but it seemed thoroughly done. I was never able to twist and pull the first bone out without a good amount of meat sticking to it. The second larger bone was always a bit easier to remove.

Although I was not able to preform this maneuver with the ease and dexterity of the demonstrator I did find it a good way to eat a buffalo wing. With a bit of work you are left with a piece of meat that has a large amount of surface area and is great for dipping in a delicious blue cheese dressing. I would recommend the study of this technique and it's application to heighten the enjoyment of your future wing nights/Hooter's visits.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/16 12:26:06 (permalink)
    I solved my personal wing eating dilemma by eschewing them for legs and thighs. I'm a leg and thigh man. Wing eating is for those below the salt. I fart in the general direction of wing eaters.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5416
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/22 00:24:18 (permalink)
    So I cooked up a mess of wings last night and tried this. Didn't work too well. Too much meat stuck to the bones and i didn't get a single piece of all meat. Oh well, they still tasted great.
    EatingTheRoad
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/11/22 08:28:02 (permalink)
    ...another myth busted...unless you're like the Wing Samurai from the video....but as long as they're tasty nothing else matters
    norton
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/12/25 15:42:47 (permalink)
    I think Buffalouies are the best also. Huge wings, usually crispy and great sauce that tastes homemade. Wish I had some right now!

Bw3s wings aren't near as good and their sauces taste prefab with a lot of thickener in them.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18346
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/12/25 16:05:53 (permalink)
    I still cannot believe people are willing to eat chicken wings. We're talking one of the two parts you throw away here folks.

The other part is the south end of the northbound bird.
    Buffalo Tarheel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 502
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2009/12/25 16:35:07 (permalink)
    ralphmelton

One additional note: I think that my hands got greasier with the video's method than with the control method, because I was handling the wing more. This also doesn't matter much--if I feared getting my hands messy, I'd choose something besides wings or adopt the inscrutable Occidental ways of Buffalo Tarheel.

Ralph,

I didn't even see this note until today (only 1-3/4 months after you posted it).  I guess the fact that I used a knife and fork when we were at the Anchor Bar during the Buffalo Roadfood tour must have made an impression on you.  I hope I didn't scar you for life.  My method of eating wings must be inscrutable because no one in my family or my friends can understand why I eat them that way.  I suppose I should rethink the idea of eating M&M's with a spoon! 

By the way, yours was a very funny post in a subtle way that I enjoyed.
    Ralph Melton
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:How to properly eat a chicken wing (VIDEO) 2010/01/03 22:55:07 (permalink)
    Oh, I'm not at all scarred--I'm fascinated by your style of wing-eating, because it seems unfathomable to me.

My own knife and fork skills are such that I think twice about eating bone-in chicken with a knife and fork, because I feel I leave too much meat on the bones when I do so. I don't avoid bone-in chicken altogether, but given a choice of options, I'll probably shy away from it.

It seems even harder to get the meat off of wings, so I'm impressed and a little baffled by the skills you have to make such a style a reasonable choice. It's like seeing someone decide to walk on their hands to spare their shoe leather.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1