~ For The Record: Sebring, FL Restaurants ...

Author
wheregreggeats.com
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4591
2009/11/17 13:39:22 (permalink)

~ For The Record: Sebring, FL Restaurants ...

~  
I've got a little time to kill and figured I chronicle what I've learned while spending the better part of the summer here in Sebring, Florida.

... NOTICE UPDATES THROUGHOUT THE POSTINGS ...  MOST RECENT 10/2012 ...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
THE WATERING HOLE ... Always my favorite.  Superb steaks, cooked perfectly served up, usually with fruit salad and superb, buttery potatoes.  My favorite is the salmon, grilled rare.  Not cheap.  Decent drinks at the bar.  CASH ONLY.  No sharing of meals (that keeps me away many nights when a friend and I aren't ready to pack down a huge dinner just before bed time).  Dinner only.  Tu-Sa. 
Full Bar.  DIRECTIONS  

WATERING HOLE closed, and re-opened ... new version of old mgmt (family?) ... now open a lot more (Always call ahead) ... even for lunch.  I hear the food is every bit as good, now with the same chef as before.
THE WILD TURKEY SALOON ... A saloon, nothing fancy.  Everything is home made (even their fries) ... I had a burger there yesterday that rivals those of the Brickyard in Daytona.  Beer and wine only.  DIRECTIONS

I've since been back two or three times and have not been disappointed.   I wish they had Guinness.
JULIO'S GROCERY ... A REAL RF GEM (Especially as other places close their doors) ... ... A ramshackle Cuban grocery store.  Julio turns out just about the best Cuban sandwich ... as of this writing $3.95 each.  No place to sit, to go only.  Soft drinks from the Coke display.  Closed Mondays.  Open Saturdays. He closes for a week every so often for vacation.  Lunch only, until 4 or 5.  DIRECTIONS
  BLUE LAGOON TAVERN ... Another tavern.  Pretty good wings (I wish they grilled them) along with a well poured Guinness.  Friendly service.  Better than "valid" grub.  Good tavern atmosphere.  DIRECTIONS
  THE CADDYSHACK ... A place that is growing more and more popular everyday.  Good to better-than-good pub grub food in a wide open enjoyable space.  I had liver and onions at my last visit and can't complain at all (although if you keep reading this missive, you'll see I am capable of complaining).

Decent drinks and daily drink specials ... (Not that that ever seems to work in my favor.  I was there on Malibu night or something along that line.) ... but everyone seems to go home happy.  The bar is friendly.  DIRECTIONS

UPDATE:  (2011) Seems to be going downhill food-wise -- just a bit -- lately.
1/2  GALATI'S ITALIAN ... Best pizza for miles and miles and miles ... (not to be confused with New Haven, NYC or Boston).  Kind of reminds you of a red sauce spaghetti place you might find in NJ, PA or NY.  Beer and wine only.  Lunch and dinner, not sure about weekend hours.  Comfortable place to eat.  DIRECTIONS
  SIRIANO'S LUNCHEONETTE ... Newly opened on the circle downtown by a family that had another place on the other side of town that was missed by the locals.  Known for their soup and sandwiches.  I went there today (during their first week open) and we had 2 soups (delicious) and split a sandwich, a Pepsi and iced tea for about $16.00 total.  Both were very very good.  Downside is we had to change it to a to go order because the kitchen was so slow -- although granted they were very busy -- eating there on a half hour lunch break wasn't practical.  So, I guess call ahead, or come with extra time or not at the peak hours, or maybe after a while when they get there choreography in order.  I'll be back. 
  MAE LEE'S LUNCHEONETTE ... A very busy popular place with fast service and a wide ranging menu of soups and sandwiches ... I want to try the veal Parmesan sandwich.  They are open at breakfast time, but they aren't geared for breakfast.  DIRECTIONS
  1/2  ROADHOUSE ... It WAS part of a chain the went out of business.  I assume the local operator decided to hold on and go it alone.  THEY ADVERTISE LUNCH SPECIALS and beer for 2 bucks ... once you get in they explain the restrictions.  So unless you love Bud Light, or Something-or-another Ultra, figure on paying more.  I was there for lunch only once and had the lunch special club sandwich, that came out without mayo or tomatoes ... I managed to eat it, but I can only hope I caught the kitchen on a bad day ... If your going to sell me a special, don't make me feel like I'm slumming it.  I haven't crossed it off my list.  Full bar.  DIRECTIONS

UPDATE:  [Note downgrade in smiley face rating]  Well, I went there for lunch today once again, sit at the bar as I always do anyplace for lunch, they hand me a menu with no specials.  This time I ask and, after a 2 minute search, they come up with a list of the very same lunch items, only with lower prices.  What if I hadn't asked?   My Yuengling, I was told is not 2 bucks, but 2 for 1 ... I don't want 2 beers at lunch and left feeling I paid for 2 but only had 1.  I just couldn't muster the enthusiasm for ordering food.

Oh, and if the managers ever read this, the fact you had peanuts out, but no little trays to carry them to the table or bar, makes the offering seem disingenuous -- either that or it was an accident and just a warning sign to customers that details are not important here.   

NOW CODY"S ROADHOUSE ... I HEAR it is very good -- steak-wise ... a small chain ... I'd venture there before Outback.
---------------------------------------------------
DEE's ... downtown, just off the circle on Ridgewood ...very good breakfast ... the very good biscuit was not enhanced by the 'dairy spread' ... even though i don't use syrup, I wasn't impressed by the Sam's Club variety they offered .... my take is almost superb breakfast ... lousy condiments.
------------------------------------------------------
OSHI BURGER ... kind of a teriyaki/burger joint ... but not obnoxiously so, as in greater-Seattle ... flat-top burgers and stir-fry ... very light, not overtly sweet, if sweet at all ... they have a SUPERB pink sauce that is good on everything ... they have an outpost at the mall ... VERY GOOD choice ... in a little building next to AT&T next to the Gold's Gym shopping center, a little south of Starbucks.  REALLY WORTH A TRY.

SUNSET GRILLE  [Read this carefully] ... No better place to spend a Florida evening on the deck.  I heard good things about the food.  BUT, my "homemade, grandmothers ... " meat loaf seemed waaay over microwaved and dry with fresh (from the can) gravy and mashed potatoes that my companions thought were instant (I didn't eat enough of them to render a decision).  It was the kind of meal where you try to get the taste out of your mouth for the rest of the night.  The fried calamari someone had was good.  Of eight of us eating, one person did say they were happy with their meal (some kind of a chicken thing).  

They have 2 for 1 drinks at happy hour, but only for the low end booze and you might as well ask for both drinks at once ... let's just say, they have always been "conservative" with their pours when I've been there.  You'd better have a snort or two before you go there for drinks or you'll be all night trying to get any "satisfaction."  No point drinking good stuff, based on the strength of their pours and the prices.  They usually have a good live band and the setting is nice.  I'm not eating there again.

Question to bar owners everywhere:  If you want to attract customers with 2 for 1 drinks specials, why can't you encourage people who don't drink from the well (and presumably are inclined to spend more) to take part.  DIRECTIONS
  THAI HOUSE ... Best Thai around.  They are very conservative with spicing ... you might go for one more star than you are used to.  Beer Wine.  DIRECTIONS
  CHICANE's AT THE INN ON THE LAKES ... My favorite hotel.  The restaurant is apparently very good, but in my experience not everyday affordable.  They have specials, like Monday Happy Hour wings, good quality for about $3.00 a dozen.  And here we go again, 2 for 1 bar drinks and beer.  If you are inclined towards decent "call brands" (Absoult and up, as I recall) they are 1 for 1 and at seven or eight bucks a pop, I can't afford it.  I'm told their Bistro dinner deal is good -- again, if you are happy with the one glass of house wine it comes with.  Bottom line: I think they charge too much for decent drinks.

For a special meal, it is a nice place.  DIRECTIONS
CHATEAU ELAN ... A nice hotel.  Let's just say that their restaurant doesn't get raves.  DIRECTIONS
I've heard of, but haven't tried:

- HOMER'S BUFFET ... Crowded, but in central, Florida, that is not much of an indicator. I've never heard anything good about it.
 - DOT'S CAFE ... I've heard good things.  Breakfast.
 - SUNSET II ... I've heard they have a good breakfast.
The town needs a FIVE GUYS or a SnS.

Hope this helps, if you are venturing this way.

post edited by wheregreggeats.com - 2012/10/12 09:37:07

24 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1