The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer

chefaimster

• Total Posts: 11
Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Wed, 11/18/09 11:45 AM (permalink)
Anyone have one?  If so do you like, dislike, etc?

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
    Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Wed, 11/18/09 11:56 AM (permalink)
    I had seen an article about this recently:
    http://www2.journalnow.co...es-much-of-the-danger/

Thanks to the built-in thermostat and time, cooking this bird was easy. Getting it out of the basket wasn't, though, because the skin stuck to the sides. The manual doesn't mention this, but I'd recommend spraying the basket with cooking spray before adding the bird.
    Carving up this bird revealed meat that is as moist and juicy as any outdoor fryer. And the turkey skin came out just as crispy.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
      Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Wed, 11/18/09 1:29 PM (permalink)

I still do them the Old Fashioned way:

The 3 "P's" Pot - Peanut Oil - Propane!

and the

The 4 "B's" Backyard - Bird - Burner - Beer!

It's more Funner that way!

<message edited by Foodbme on Wed, 11/18/09 1:31 PM>

hatteras04

• Total Posts: 1070
        Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Wed, 11/18/09 3:00 PM (permalink)
        My parents bought a different brand of electric fryer a couple of years ago and I thought it worked great.  The last time I did one with a propane fryer, I nearly tipped it over which caused my heart to almost stop.  The results were just as good as the propane method.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
          Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Wed, 11/18/09 4:18 PM (permalink)
          From the Columbus Dispatch:

\Butterball Turkey Fryer ($119 at Lowe’s)

Frying a turkey indoors, cooking and safety experts say, is a bad idea. The hot oil can spill, causing damage or serious injury. Even frying outdoors with the right equipment poses risks.
             So the Butterball Turkey Fryer by Masterbuilt intrigued me.
             The enclosed standalone fryer plugs into an electrical outlet. You heat oil in the main compartment, lower the whole turkey, close the lid and fry away.
             The fryer isn’t cheap: about $120. Add to that the costs of a turkey ($20 or more) and the oil ($30), and you have an expensive meal from the start.
             The fryer is also limiting. The instructions say it can hold a 14-pound turkey, but I’m doubtful. The 12-pounder I chose fit tightly in the fry basket.
             It does have many positives, though. Fried turkey tastes sublime, with its crispy skin and moist interior. And it cooks in a fraction of the time of a roasted turkey — about 4 minutes a pound, or less than an hour for my 12-pounder.
             The fryer works well, reducing many of the risks. It can also be used to fry other foods (fish, for example) and as a steamer (just replace the oil with water). 

kozel

• Total Posts: 810
            Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Thu, 11/19/09 8:01 AM (permalink)
            We bought one.  While my outside cooker does a better job, this thing was worth it. Yes, I doubt I could get a 14 lb turkey into it, it did an admiral job on an 11 lb I tried.  It uses less oil so the temp doesn't come back up to 375, so it is not as crispy and it takes a little longer to cook (just over 4 min/lb).

The convenience makes it work for me.  Cleanup was easy; it has a spigot.  I also felt it was designed for safety.  We already bought one as a gift.

If you order it from the web site and use coupon code BBETF , the price is $119.95 and free shipping.

https://www.masterbuilt.com/mbtv08/index.aspx

mar52

• Total Posts: 7605
              Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Thu, 11/19/09 12:19 PM (permalink)
              I saw a chat board collapse when this question was asked, but we're a much better group:

How do you dispose of the oil from the fryer?

Kozel, thanks for the link.  It looks interesting and the spigot might sway me.  I worry about too many aspects of a deep fryer to ever have owned one.

kozel

Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Fri, 11/20/09 10:19 PM (permalink)

firecommander3565

• Total Posts: 505
                  Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Sat, 11/21/09 11:08 AM (permalink)
                  Be careful with those fyers... I have seen a few pople get burns from them.If you do not know what you are doing, get help from someone who has done it before.

charlottesailor

• Total Posts: 43
                    Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Sun, 11/22/09 7:18 AM (permalink)
                    I fried a 10 pound turkey last night.  It took 35 minutes and tasted great, not oily at all

I used a propane fryer that uses oil.  I bought it at Bass Pro.  Do not buy a cheap one of these things get a good one.  One with where the pot sits down inside rails on the base, helps prevents knocking over the pot.  Also make sure the pot has a drain hole/spigot.  I let the oil cool then use a funnel and filter paper and filter the oil back in to the container, as long as you filter the oil it can be used several times, when the oil is spent take it to an oil recycling center.

The main thing is read the directions and follow them. Make doubly sure the turkey is fully defrosted and dry all the water off before taking the plunge.

I have no idea about the  electric ones it seems to me it would leave the house with a fried smell and I know when I make french fries the house smells for a couple of days even when I have the exhaust fan on while making the fries.

EatingTheRoad

Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Sun, 11/22/09 8:20 AM (permalink)
                      charlottesailor was this like a rehearsal or "wet-run" for Thanksgiving?

Popular Mechanics has a pretty thorough guide to everything turkey deep-fried.

EatingTheRoad

Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Sun, 11/22/09 8:20 AM (permalink)
                        charlottesailor was this like a rehearsal or "wet-run" for Thanksgiving?

Popular Mechanics has a pretty thorough guide to everything turkey deep-fried.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7605
                          Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Sun, 11/22/09 1:54 PM (permalink)
                          I'll always let the other person do the turkey frying.

When I owned my shop we did not sell them.  My liability insurance would have gone up.

Too many accidents occur from not reading instructions when you're excited to set it going.

jeepguy

• Total Posts: 1555
                            Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Sun, 11/22/09 7:08 PM (permalink)
                              www.tigerdirect.com  has them on sale for $89.99 right now.

charlottesailor

• Total Posts: 43
                              Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Mon, 11/23/09 6:34 AM (permalink)
                              We had a turkey in the freezer and  my wife is getting another one from work so we had to make room.   Plus my wife works on Thanksgiving so I guess that was it; I'm already eating leftovers.  I like to get an early start. 

I heard an Allstate ad it said 2,000,000 people fried a turkey last year and it caused 15 fires, sounds like pretty good odds to me.

EatingTheRoad

Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Mon, 11/23/09 8:05 AM (permalink)

We had a turkey in the freezer and my wife is getting another one from work so we had to make room.

I love when good excuses just present themselves

Eilzel

• Total Posts: 1
                                  Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Mon, 11/21/11 6:16 AM (permalink)
                                  I have seen positive feed backs on this Turkey Fryer Electric . It works out great and I love how a turkey is fried indoor. 

brisketboy

• Total Posts: 1058
                                    Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Mon, 11/21/11 9:20 AM (permalink)
                                    I bought one of these from QVC and so far I have fried a whole chicken (about 3.5 pounds) and it came out great. We've also fried a battered and cut up chicken and it came out great. I'm really glad that this thread got started because I am planning to fry a 12 pound turkey for thanksgiving and had not given much thought to the problem of slowly lowering the bird into the hot oil. Food for thought there. What I really want to try is the Low Country Boil they did during the QVC ad.  What I would like to ask is how many times can the oil be reused?

kozel

Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Mon, 11/21/11 9:27 AM (permalink)
                                      My Costco now has them; don't recall the price though.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9574
                                        Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Mon, 11/21/11 11:27 AM (permalink)
                                        Saw them at Lowes. $99.00
                                        I think it's a Masterbilt, I think.
                                        Regular oil deep fryers - $49.00

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15066
                                          • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                          Re:Masterbuilt Butterball Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer Mon, 11/21/11 10:02 PM (permalink)
                                          This weekend we did a 13 lb turkey in my Masterbuilt electric (outdoor) smoker. The one that stands about 32" tall by 18" wide and deep. We injected the thawed turkey in the breast and thighs with diluted Famous Dave's Hot BBQ sauce using a cheap injector needle. Then stuck it into the pre-heated smoker, using Moonlite BBQ Hickory Chips and Jack Daniels Charcoal pellets (soaked in JD and bagged in Lynchburg for the smoking materials.
                                          We 'cooked' it for a little over 8 hours at 226 degrees until the internal thermometer we use showed a doneness temp of 185 degrees, buried in the thickest part of the breast.
                                          The Masterbuilt has a digital setting device that allows you to set cooking time, up to 24 hours, and cooking Temperature up to 300 degrees. The smoke tray will 'burn' for several hours on one filling. We filled it at the start of the cycle and again at about the 5 hour point. It was still producing smoke when we shut it off at the 8.25 hour point.
                                            The bird was done completely. The drumsticks were a bit overdone, so when I do Bird Number Two (no pun intended) I will wrap the drumsticks in foil at about the 3/4 time point to slow their cooking.

I have enjoyed deep-fried birds done by relatives, but don't trust myself to be able to do one safely.  This smoked bird was as good as any I have enjoyed at a number of BBQ places around the country.
                                          Here is my Masterbuilt Smoker purchased at LOWS, with a load of Pork in a previous cooking exercise. The Turkey fit very well on a lower shelf. My next one weighs about 15 lbs. That about as large as I can fit on a shelf in the smoker.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                            • No New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                            • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                            • Locked w/ New Messages
                                            • Locked w/o New Messages
                                            • Read Message
                                            • Post New Thread
                                            • Reply to message
                                            • Post New Poll
                                            • Submit Vote
                                            • Post reward post
                                            • Delete my own posts
                                            • Delete my own threads
                                            • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                            What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com