The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds?

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Wed, 11/18/09 7:31 PM (permalink)

EatingTheRoad

• Total Posts: 1205
    Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Wed, 11/18/09 7:45 PM (permalink)
    That's a wicked condiments bar!

kirstine

• Total Posts: 264
      Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Wed, 11/18/09 7:55 PM (permalink)
      There's a McDonalds styled this way back home in Belfast, NI.  It's definately alot more comfortable and the laptop ports are great....no difference in the food though! lol

David_NYC

• Total Posts: 2162
        Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Thu, 11/19/09 12:01 AM (permalink)
        U.S. menu; European styling: American PR Hype.
        I can't ID the location of that McDonald's, even from all the hype pictures on the various sites that carried pictures from that free advertising. There are several McD's in Chelsea. Spent a lot of time on Google Maps Street Views. It may not even be in Chelsea. Down in that neck of the woods, you can walk from one McDonalds to the next McDonalds to the next McDonalds in 5 minutes per pop. Even NYC TV station WPIX put the hype on their website without giving the street address - because they don't know it - because they pulled the copy off the AP Hypewire.

From the pictures, it looks cheaply constructed - flashy, but cheaply constructed. It is a 2 story affair probably stuck in a railroad flat footprint space. McDonalds in Manhattan charge a premium over surburban restaurants. Doors away serve better food. 

Let it go. It was just a ploy to get McDonald's name in front of the public for free.

<message edited by David_NYC on Thu, 11/19/09 12:31 AM>

MiamiDon

Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Thu, 11/19/09 8:20 AM (permalink)
          At least at one point, there was a McDonald's at 160 Broadway with a grand piano and live entertainment:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2ibbY64Jis

EatingTheRoad

Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Thu, 11/19/09 10:33 AM (permalink)

I can't ID the location of that McDonald's, even from all the hype pictures on the various sites that carried pictures from that free advertising. There are several McD's in Chelsea. Spent a lot of time on Google Maps Street Views. It may not even be in Chelsea. Down in that neck of the woods, you can walk from one McDonalds to the next McDonalds to the next McDonalds in 5 minutes per pop. Even NYC TV station WPIX put the hype on their website without giving the street address - because they don't know it - because they pulled the copy off the AP Hypewire.

It's the one on 6th Avenue between 14th and 15th. I love how it's right next door to Jenny Craig

David_NYC

Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Thu, 11/19/09 11:10 AM (permalink)
              Great work, EatingTheRoad!
              It was Google maps that was off by a whole block - I put in 514 6th Avenue and didn't explore far enough north! Plugging in 541 6th Ave NY NY 10011 will give you a head-on view.

EatingTheRoad

Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Thu, 11/19/09 11:29 AM (permalink)
                Are you going to make a trek down there? It'd be cool to see some photos.

jonjax71

• Total Posts: 435
                  Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Thu, 11/19/09 12:46 PM (permalink)
                  Chelsea is my favorite district of Manhattan. Up until the late 80s and early 90s, within Chelsea was Little Spain-14th St between 6th and 9th Avenues. In the 1920s during the Panamerican Migration, 14th St became the home of many Spanish businesses, offices, chirch and several cultural clubs that included an orphange. Every June in commeration of St John the Baptist there would be a Little Spain festival  which would close down 14th St between 7th and 8th Avenue for a street festival that included simulated bull fighting and an array of vendors selling taps, chorizo sandwiches, sangria and other Spanish delights. I recall visiting there several summers. The Guadalupe Church on 14th Sthas been used in many films and TV shows.

By the early 90s those Spanish businesses had closed and the Spaniards living in the area moved away. I used to vist a famed Spanish grocery and gift shop that was there for over 60 years, Casa Moneo,  I  also liked dining Basque style at La Bilbaena.

David_NYC

Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Thu, 11/19/09 8:20 PM (permalink)
                    EatingTheRoad

Are you going to make a trek down there? It'd be cool to see some photos.

No. All McDonald's in town get the same food delivered to them by  Martin-Brewer Metroplex, so I  already know what the food tastes like. Besides, it is further to walk to McDonald's than this place where I usually eat at over there:
                    http://www.newyorkburgerco.com/location.html
                    Much better burgers for only a bit more money.

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                      Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Fri, 11/20/09 9:00 AM (permalink)
                      <<I used to vist a famed Spanish grocery and gift shop that was there for over 60 years, Casa Moneo, >>

Not to go off-topic, but thanks for that memory! I had forgotten all about that. I used to walk there on my lunch hour years ago when I worked at 17th and Park. My Spanish Restaurant of choice was Il Faro just a little south of 14th street in the village.

EatingTheRoad

Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Fri, 11/20/09 9:19 AM (permalink)

Not to go off-topic....

I don't think that's an issue 'round these parts

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                          Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Fri, 11/20/09 10:11 AM (permalink)
                          A lot of the McD's are being remodeled in the LA area.  

I'm wondering if corporate forces the franchisees to spend thousands of dollars to remodel their stores when they're just fine as is.

Do you think that corporate pays for any of it?

EatingTheRoad

Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Fri, 11/20/09 10:32 AM (permalink)
                            I think the franchise owners have to cover most of the costs. I'm not sure if McDonald's current remodels are mandatory but I know Burger King is going to be updating all of their stores (12,000):
                            http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33197382/

But that comes with an upscale price: The new look is expected to cost franchisees, who operate 90 percent of Burger King's locations, between $300,000 to $600,000 per restaurant.

I'm sure the franchisees will sue again, as they have done over the $1 double cheeseburger:
                            http://www.google.com/hos...I9h7yHYvgzHZwD9BU78CO0

mar52

• Total Posts: 7593
                              Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Fri, 11/20/09 2:29 PM (permalink)
                              One more reason to have it Your Way!

tacchino

• Total Posts: 560
                                Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Sat, 11/21/09 12:57 AM (permalink)
                                jonjax71

Chelsea is my favorite district of Manhattan. Up until the late 80s and early 90s, within Chelsea was Little Spain-14th St between 6th and 9th Avenues. In the 1920s during the Panamerican Migration, 14th St became the home of many Spanish businesses, offices, chirch and several cultural clubs that included an orphange. Every June in commeration of St John the Baptist there would be a Little Spain festival  which would close down 14th St between 7th and 8th Avenue for a street festival that included simulated bull fighting and an array of vendors selling taps, chorizo sandwiches, sangria and other Spanish delights. I recall visiting there several summers. The Guadalupe Church on 14th Sthas been used in many films and TV shows.

By the early 90s those Spanish businesses had closed and the Spaniards living in the area moved away. I used to vist a famed Spanish grocery and gift shop that was there for over 60 years, Casa Moneo,  I  also liked dining Basque style at La Bilbaena.

Yes, it is so sad how many of those places have closed.  I used to live in the neighborhood, and even the holdouts, such as the wonderful bookstores (Macondo and Libreria Lectorum) that survived into the nineties have recently closed.

I am encouraged that the old time Spanish restaurant and social club there has managed to hang on:  http://www.lanacionaltapas.com/ .

Ken8038, did you work at the Con Ed facility?
                                <message edited by tacchino on Sat, 11/21/09 12:58 AM>

jonjax71

Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Sat, 11/21/09 2:32 AM (permalink)
                                  Thanks for the great link of La Nacional, I've eaten there several times over the decades. Here in Pasadena there are two connections from that side of 14th St near 8th ave and La Nacional. First one, for many years my parents were friends with a family whose patriach had  moved here from Little Spain, he was the one who told me to visit there if I ever went to NYC, he says that as immigrant children from Spain, he and his sister lived upstairs as children and teens of the Benovolent Society building mentioned in that link.
                                  I went to NY several times as a teeenager in the mid-60s to spend a few weeks with my cousins in Harlem and I would go down to 14th St.

The second connection is this one. in the 70s and 80s as an adult I would ofen travel to NY on business and would also visit 14th St for 2 reason, the stores and shops of Little Spain and in the bank building of 8th Ave and 14th St next to la Nacional and the Benevolent Society on the 11th floor was the HQ for the Jackie Robinson Foundation run by the widow Rachel. My family knew the Robinson family since the 1930s, neighbors for many years, I was raised in the early 50s knowing the Robisnon family, 1936 Olympic star brother Mack, Jackie and their sister and mother. So whenever I was in NY I would visit Rachel, she liked eating at the Puerto Rican diner on 14th St between 14th and 15th St, La Taza de Oro

sk bob

• Total Posts: 1801
                                    Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Sat, 11/21/09 2:02 PM (permalink)
                                    you can put lipstick on a pig & its still a pig

ken8038

• Total Posts: 1559
                                      Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Sat, 11/21/09 10:15 PM (permalink)
                                      <<Ken8038, did you work at the Con Ed facility?
                                       No, that's on Irving Place. I was a couple blocks west on Park Av South.

Jonjax: Thanks for the interesting story about the Robinson family. Local radio personality Jonathan Schwartz used to talk about being neighbors with the Robinsons in Connecticut while he was growing up in the 50's (his father was Arthur Schwartz, the composer).

EatingTheRoad

Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Sun, 11/22/09 2:14 PM (permalink)
                                        I went over to check it out. It's actually pretty impressive:
                                        http://eatingtheroad.word...e-manhattan-mcdonalds/

David_NYC

Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Sun, 11/22/09 10:28 PM (permalink)
                                          I found myself passing the place today while out shopping, and was a bit peckish. I didn't have a camera with me. My impression is that they are trying to mimic Starbucks, to offer a place to hang out. I'd definitely recommend people who are interested in store design see it.

My observations: The franchisee said: "They don't feel rushed. They're reading the newspaper, relaxed." However, the standard Manhattan sign posting a 20 minute time limit has been installed here.  Of the 186 seats, there are only 10 knock-offs of the Fritz Hansen "Egg" chair. There are also knock-offs of Hansen's Grand Prix chair. Probably made in China. The walls are covered either in simulated wood Formica or wall covering pasted on sheetrock. The men's rest room must be seen, however. All surfaces are black, mostly tiled. A spotlight illuminates the urinal. Otherwise, the usual Sloan's hands-free plumbing fixtures. The tables are either plywood or particle board covered with Formica. The lighting is subdued, as in Starbuck's. Some of the flat screen TV's had BBC Americas. Most had the M channel, which is commercials for movies, video games, Coke, etc.  interrupted only for silly features. I don't think they spent more per square foot here than they did in recent renovations of other McDonald's in Manhattan.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the WOW effect of some McDonalds, like the one on lower Broadway with the piano, or the ones in New England with nautical themes. Most of the young people who were there didn't seem to take any notice of the new interior design.

David_NYC

Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Mon, 11/23/09 12:14 AM (permalink)
                                            CNBC posted some video taken inside the McDonald's. Launch it from the box in the upper right hand corner of this page:
                                            http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/34019334/

Photo taken inside the "dump station":
                                            http://www.janetcharltonshollywood.com/mcdonalds-experimental-futuristic-decor-is-here/

(Third one down)
                                            Video from CBS News:
                                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Bmv8wvyhFI
                                            Take a look at the two satisfied, long time customers sitting in the faux "Egg" chairs at the 32 second point.
                                            <message edited by David_NYC on Mon, 11/23/09 12:44 AM>

jonjax71

Re:Anyone Seen the Chelsea (Manhattan) McDonalds? Mon, 11/23/09 11:36 AM (permalink)
                                              All that modern decorating doesn't change the fact that it's still the arches food. Some of the best meals I've ever had like I'm sure with other members, have been in less pleasing ambience, after all you can't eat the surroundings

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                • No New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                • Read Message
                                                • Post New Thread
                                                • Reply to message
                                                • Post New Poll
                                                • Submit Vote
                                                • Post reward post
                                                • Delete my own posts
                                                • Delete my own threads
                                                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com