Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line?

Author
JimInKy
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 599
2004/01/02 08:34:36 (permalink)

Where is the Fried Dill Pickle Line?

Cookbook author, Ronni Lundy was a guest on Michael Feldman’s Whad’Ya Know when the public radio show came to Kentucky four winters ago. The show’s staff customary spends a week in communities they broadcast from, which allows Michael time to soak up local culture and news, and be ready for his guests.

Under the impression that fried dill pickles can be found in Kentucky, Michael asked Ronni about them. Ronni answered, "I think the fried dill pickle line is a little further south".

A month after that broadcast I was en route to Florida and stopped for barbeque at a restaurant south of Atlanta that served fried dill pickles as an appetizer. After ordering a big barbeque meal, I asked my server if she could bring me a single fried dill pickle to sample. She said she could, but instead brought a whole plate and wouldn’t charge me.

Well, this restaurant’s fried pickles were just flat out delicious. They were served piping hot with a Ranch dressing sauce for dipping. The breading and fat balanced the sour and they were nicely crispy. I liked them best without the Ranch.

I first heard about this snack in an Atlanta Constitution article on barbeque. The food writer characterized the fried dills served at Q. B.’s Real Pit Out-N-Back B-B-Q in McDonough as addictive.

My question for forum readers: where does the “fried dill pickle line” begin and what is the breath of fried dill pickle’s popularity. Are they mostly a Georgia thing? Has anyone eaten them in other states? Could some Roadfooder possibly have the classic fried dill pickle recipe?

Here’s the link to the Whad’Ya Know interview with Ronni Lundy:

http://notmuch.com/Show/2000/01.29.html

74 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1