OUTSTANDING breakfast in Elkhart, IN

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
2009/11/22 21:18:46 (permalink)

OUTSTANDING breakfast in Elkhart, IN

Callahan's, right off of the western Elkhart exit of Rt 80.

My camera battery died the night before. So, no pictures, dang it. Well, one picture. Here is a picture from the Notre Dame game, kind of emblematic of their season:

That was the last shot before it died.

Anyhow. Callahan's gets middling reviews from around the 'net; I'm here to tell you that my breakfast this morning was absolutely fantastic. I had something called a "babalou"; a four egg omelet with chorizo, fresh jalapeno wheels, onion, tomato, and cheddar, with salsa and sour cream; hash browns; sourdough toast; and coffee. The coffee is excellent, by the way.

Honestly, I couldn't tell you about the potatoes, or the toast; I didn't eat but a bite of either. I was too intent on that omelet. I said to the waitress that I never thought I would be able to say I finished a four egg omelet, and she told me that they actually double their eggs, and it was an EIGHT egg omelet (and now I can't have any eggs until Christmas). But it was that good, I ate well past full because of the flavor, all southwestern chorizo and jalapeno and cheese and onion goodness.

Two 8 egg omelets (Mrs Mosca's House Special omelet of onion/mushroom/pepper/ham/cheese was equally impressive), potatoes, toast, coffee, tea, and orange juice came to $17.66; we paid $25 for crappy hotel buffet breakfast buffet the day before. Pancakes are optional substitute for the potatoes and toast. I actually saw a table of trenchermen eating steak, omelets, pancakes, toast, grits, potatoes, bacon, sausage, and whatever else. Farm folks work hard and need the energy, but these men were also BIG. I'm big, and these guys were BIG big. Point being, appetites are satisfied in addition to taste buds.

Highly recommended for breakfast, for travelers crossing Indiana via I-80. Trust Mosca on this one.

4 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1