OMG Defective dry ice??

Author
rainyday6
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 98
2009/11/23 04:37:09 (permalink)

OMG Defective dry ice??

:'(  I can't believe this.  A few months ago I transported some ice cream from the SF Bay area to Sacramento.  Total travel time, pre train, train and post train total time around 6 hours.  Hell, I think it sat around in the hot sun another hour as I recall.  I used a Trader Joe's blue soft sided cooler and 5 lbs of dry ice for 4 pints of ice cream.  I lined the cooler with a towel, a layer of dry ice in plastic but ventilated, the ice cream, then another layer of dry ice.  The ice cream was still frozen solid when I finally put it in the freezer.  There was little or no dry ice left.

Yesterday I did the same thing, in fact travel time was shorter.  I opened the cooler to find the dry ice intact and the ice cream completely melted.  Two pints had been laid on their sides and the tops had popped off and melted (room temp) ice cream was all over the place.  One pint survived but yeah, whoopie - at $7. a pound yum melted and re-frozen.. not. 

Any thoughts on what I may have done wrong?  Is there any such thing as defective dry ice?  The cooler was zipped all the way closed both times.

I'm really mad at myself right now.  It's like an inner voice is telling me "See???  You didn't need that ice cream and so you're being punished for giving in to your gluttony and spending all that money!!!"

12 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1