The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Crumby Day

Tony Bad

Crumby Day Fri, 12/4/09 10:44 AM (permalink)
I was torn between posting this in the breakfast section, since I prefer crumb cake as a breakfast treat, or in the dessert section...but...

Yesterday I was in the vicinity of Hahn's Old Fashioned Cake Company in Farmingdale, NY. (http://www.crumbcake.net/) They are located in a warehouse type building in an industrial park, as the majority of their business appears to be supplying distributors, restaurants, and mail order. They do, however, have a small "outlet" which consists of a few racks in the lobby of their factory. I picked up a small piece of cake as a test prior to sending several out for the holidays. The table in the shop had a large display proudly proclaiming Hahn's place in the Stern's latest effort "500 Things to Eat Before It's Too Late". You may also recall mention of Hahn's in the Roadfood Digest last holiday season.

http://www.roadfooddigest.com/post/2008/12/14/20-Days2c-20-Gifts2c-20-Im-Dreaming-of-a-Crumby-Christmas.aspx

I didn't have my camera with me when I stopped, but because it was a warm day...almost 70 degrees...the doors and windows of the bakery were all open and the smell was intoxicating. The cake is such a wonderful combination of heavy, dense crumbs, and light moist cake. They make several varieties, in addition to pound cake, but I can never be tempted away from the traditional crumb cake. I have enjoyed a few crumb cakes that may have been almost as good as this one, but have never had one that was better! 

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com