The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

BBQ in Orangeburg County SC?

cwjudyjr

• Total Posts: 126
BBQ in Orangeburg County SC? Wed, 01/6/10 10:48 PM (permalink)
[Helpful answer received] / [List Solutions Only]
Years ago, I had great BBQ in Orangeburg County SC.  One place was Duke's BBQ in the city of Orangeburg.  Another was a place in North, SC, but I can't recall the name.  I believe it was on Savannah Hwy.

Is Dukes still around?

Does anyone know of/remember the North place?  If so what is the name and is it still there?

Thanks!

Conrad

QCrazy

• Total Posts: 25
    Re:BBQ in Orangeburg County SC? Sat, 01/9/10 2:13 PM (permalink)
    [This post was marked as helpful]
    I have not been to Duke's in a while but they were good when I went. They have/had two locations in Orangeburg, one in Bamberg and one in Walterboro. They had a review here on Roadfood at one time. That's the location I went to most. My wife (then girlfriend) would always get a sandwich and I always had a large plate with excellent red hash. This was a simple block building with an open dining hall and tea pitchers on the tables. Only the bare essentials and good food. You could watch the meat being chopped behind the service counter. I can't vouch for how the quality is right now. If you want good 'cue, the only place that I have been to recently is B & D BBQ in Little Swamp which is a little drive from Orangeburg. They are out in the middle of the sticks but are very good and have some of the best red hash that I have had. Hash in case you don't know is a regional thing just like anything else. I love it. The one place I can point you to more than any other is Sweatman's BBQ in Eautawville which also had a review on this site. They have in my opinion some of the best 'cue I have ever had anywhere and it's completely cooked with hardwood out back. If you have any questions about area 'cue please feel free to ask. I would be glad to help.

cwjudyjr

Re:BBQ in Orangeburg County SC? Sat, 01/9/10 2:41 PM (permalink)
      Thanks for the update!  We have no immediate plans to travel to Orangeburg, but will keep this in mind.  I remember the red hash well as this is the only place I can recall having it.  We have great seafood in Maryland but the BBQ in th earea is lacking.

Any recipes for the hash around?
      <message edited by cwjudyjr on Sat, 01/9/10 2:45 PM>

QCrazy

Re:BBQ in Orangeburg County SC? Sat, 01/9/10 3:17 PM (permalink)
        I don't have any recipes for hash but I will try and dig some up. You may want to ask the question in a new thread to just generate some feedback from others who make cook it. I do know that it is a combination of finely cooked meat and potato with various regional themes of the basic ingredients. I am from Darlington which is part of the Pee Dee region named after the Pee Dee Indians I believe. I have eaten both red and gray hash in our area. Mechanicsville is a small community outside of Darlington close to the Great Pee Dee River. They had a place called Skeet's BBQ at one time. This is basically the place I grew up in terms of my earliest experiences with our regional 'cue. Skeet's hash was battleship gray in color due to the liver content and no tomato ingredients. It was heavily seasoned and served on white rice as hash traditionally is. My wife can't stand this kind of hash but I learned to like it after eating it for so long. Our area of SC which is in the northeast corner has a lot of influence from North Carolina style, vinegar/vinegar-pepper 'cue. This is not the only iteration but you find it a lot. Closer to the middle part of the state, you find mustard based sauce. In Orangeburg and Bamberg (my wife is from Ehrhardt in Bamberg County) Counties, the 'cue takes on an orange sauce which is something in between and I like it. B & D which I mentioned above, has an orange sauce (very good 'cue). I have not eaten 'cue in the western or northwestern parts of the state the state but I think they are more tomato based. I have friends there so I can ask. BTW, there is a place in North and I think it's called Laird's but I do know there is another one in North I can't recall the name. If you are seriously interested in 'cue and homecooking of our area, South Carolina ETV did a feature called BBQ and Homecooking along what is called the Heritage Corridor of SC. The video may still be available. I bought it and was very I did. It features the Duke family, B & D BBQ, Sweatman's BBQ and even has a cameo by the late James Brown at a place he frequented near his hometown. They also talk about and show hash being made. Check it out if you feel froggy. Good info. Glad to help and ask anytime. I haven't been on Roadfood in a while but I will keep checking more often. Cheers.

QCrazy

Re:BBQ in Orangeburg County SC? Sat, 01/9/10 3:37 PM (permalink)
          Here is a link to the video I was talking about if you or anyone else is interested:

http://etvstore.org/produ...p;sstring=home+cooking

cwjudyjr

Re:BBQ in Orangeburg County SC? Sat, 01/9/10 3:44 PM (permalink)
            QCrazy

Here is a link to the video I was talking about if you or anyone else is interested:

http://etvstore.org/products/detail.asp?pid=6283646846&fc=V&sstring=home+cooking

Thank you!  I haven't been on here in a while myself.  Glad I have cehecked back in.  Take care!

Conrad

cwjudyjr

Re:BBQ in Orangeburg County SC? Sat, 01/9/10 3:51 PM (permalink)
              Here is a thread on RoadFood that has some great photos of the Low Country area.  Has pixof sauces and hash that are as I remembered.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/tm.aspx?m=414319&high=BBQ+Hash

Enjoy,

Conrad

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com