Question about Dickey's BBQ for Twinwillow

Author
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
2010/01/08 23:49:05 (permalink)

Question about Dickey's BBQ for Twinwillow

or another in Big D.  I've addressed this to Twinwillow because of previous posts about Dickey's BBQ, but there are surely many in Dallas who can answer the question I will ask.

Let me start by saying that I grew up in Dallas not far from the original Dickey's location and ate their from time to time although my favorite BBQ was Salih's, or Solly's, located in Preston Center when I was young and finally in Addison before closing.  I moved from Dallas long ago but when I visited I'd take a meal at Solly's, time permitting, or buy a package of BBQ here just before heading for DFW.  After Solly's closed I'd sometimes eat at the Dickey's in the Delta terminal at DFW just before departing.  Eventually I started eating at Dickey's locations in Dallas.  I did (do) think that Dickey's is reasonably good Texas style BBQ.

Now we have Dickey's BBQ in Georgia, franchise operations.  One of them is close enough and they have had enough specials  because of their recent opening that my wife and I have eaten there several times.  Altogether we have been disappointed.  The specials are typically pulled pork, almost unknown in Dallas when I was a kid, but of course more a favorite  the further you get from Texas.  I have to say up front that the other meats may be different and better, but to me the pork is more like a Cuban style roast pork than BBQ of any stripe including typical southeatern product.  Smoke flavor, if there at all in the meat, is a little like the burned flavor that comes from a overheated cooker that has had grease burned onto the inner surfaces.  And the truest smoke flavor comes from the sauce which includes a liberal dose of liquid smoke.

With that long winded preface, my question is, "Does Dickey's sauce in Dallas have liquid smoke as part of the recipe?"  I don't recall that at DFW but it has been a while.

22 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1