The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Russian Borscht

Laserwolf

• Total Posts: 45
Russian Borscht Tue, 01/12/10 3:12 PM (permalink)
I was actually looking for another recipe when I came across this one for a Russian Borscht from an interesting site:  Russian Borscht. I'd really like to make this soon and was wondering if anyone would be able to tell me roughly how authentic the recipe is. I realize the Short Ribs are probably not the norm, but other than that will this taste like what Borscht should taste like?

Also, I want to make a few Russian sides to go with it and was wondering if anyone had some suggestions. I know I want to do some sort of a bread, and I found the following recipe which sounds promising as well: http://www.recipezaar.com/Uncle-Bills-Russian-Cabbage-Rolls-35722.

Appreciate it.

Pigiron

• Total Posts: 1384
    • Roadfood Insider
    Re:Russian Borscht Tue, 01/12/10 4:47 PM (permalink)
    I have never had a borscht that had any meat product in it.  In the kosher tradition, borscht is dairy (at least in my experience).

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17848
      Re:Russian Borscht Tue, 01/12/10 5:03 PM (permalink)
      Pigiron

I have never had a borscht that had any meat product in it.  In the kosher tradition, borscht is dairy (at least in my experience).

There are lots of borscht's with meat, including in the Jewish tradition.

http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/rfcj/SOUPS/Borscht_Winter_-_meat.html

joclyn

• Total Posts: 360
        Re:Russian Borscht Tue, 01/12/10 6:32 PM (permalink)
        the cabbage rolls recipe is pretty close to what my mom-mom always made - she came over here from poland. many polish/russian foods are similar, if not identical in some cases - recipes vary a bit by region.  so, i'd say that's a basically authentic recipe.

mar52

• Total Posts: 7607
          Re:Russian Borscht Tue, 01/12/10 6:34 PM (permalink)
          Some borscht (s) have flanken in them.  I think Short ribs uld be perfect but trim off a lot of the fat first.

boyardee65

• Total Posts: 1457
            Re:Russian Borscht Wed, 01/13/10 4:17 AM (permalink)
             I have seen a recipe from the Ukraine that calls for pork shoulder. There are a lot of veggies that go in there though. This is the style that we serve at the restaurant. I'll see if I can remember all of the veggies that go in.

Potatoes, Cabbage, Beets, Onions, Carrots, Kale, Turnips, Parsnips, Parsley, Cilantro, Garlic.

This soup is not pureed. Nor is it served with any dairy. Being that it is made with pork means that it is NOT Kosher.

David O.

BelleReve

• Total Posts: 1138
              Re:Russian Borscht Fri, 01/15/10 2:49 PM (permalink)
              In the 1960's we lived on an Air Force base in Tokyo, and my parents would go to a small restaurant downtown, owned by a Russian gentleman, and get an order of borscht and piroski(sp?).  The owner promised to give my mother recipes for both when they left for the states, but only gave her the piroski recipe - she experimented with years to make the borscht she remembered, but I don't think she ever did.  I don't even know if it's authentic, but she would make piroski once in a while.  Looking at the recipe, there's not a lot to the filling, ground meat, onion, and chopped boiled egg, rolled into a smaller version of an eggroll and deep fried.  She would put out small bowls of catsup, and hot mustard (Coleman's mustard mixed with ice water) for dipping.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com