The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

bonopizza bonotogo Columbus Ohio I was Amazed

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
bonopizza bonotogo Columbus Ohio I was Amazed Tue, 01/19/10 9:00 AM (permalink)
bono pizza or bonotogo located at 1717 Northwest Blvd Columbus Ohio 614-906-8646.

Ok so I get home from work and decide I want to order a Pizza delivered. I moved to Columbus Ohio about six months ago and have not had pizza delivered yet. I know it sounds strange but those who know me are aware of my Pizza demands. As Dewey's or Troni's are the only places i go to in Ohio. Both do not deliver and Troni's is 80 miles away. So I take a few spins on my itouch urbanspoon app and up pops a place called bonopizza it is only 4.2 miles away and I have never seen it. So the wife and I jump in the car. They deliver but I want to see it. I punch the address in the Tom Tom and head out. I pass the place a few times and dont see it. I pull into a Donato's parking lot and call the place for directions but I figure it must be out of business. They answer the phone and tell me it is in the back of a Liquor store. Ok this has to suck but I got to see a Pizza place in a Liquor store so I proceed the block down the road and pull in the lot.

Some guy is standing in between a door that says bonotogo with a phone number and the dumpster having a smoke and I ask him if this is the entrance. He politely says no but come on in anyway. I walk in the door only to face the fire of the wood burning pizza oven at full tilt behind the counter. The Wife and I walk around it and sit down at one of the two tables. One seats 6 which has a reserved sign on it while the other is only for two. Set on the tables are several vintage cookbooks for the eight potential customers to read. There is also a vintage 1970's push button phone on the table for two.

A gentleman between 50 and 60 comes out of a back room and greets us politely wearing a Captians Hat and tell us that the phone is for use to call anyone if we want even to call enemies or prank calls. I like this guy. A woman of about the same age appears and hands us a menu. To my back is a Liquor store through a walkway. She asks if we had been there before and we reply no we found you on the internet. She explains that they opened a month ago and serve fresh made pizza in an oven invented by her husband. From what i saw on the way in it appears to be a precast unit surrounded in stucco. It has a black pipe running up through the center of the ceiling with a drop ceiling in need of repair from what appears to be a leak. She also tells of of there travels around Ohio, tells us if we wish to take home any of the cookbooks on the tables and return them at a later date it would be fine. My Wife and her spend some time talking about old cookbooks as I have about 4 or 5 hundred myself.

To the Pizza. She tells me that all the ingredients are fresh and never frozen. Pizza is made to order and makes a few recommendations. We opt for the #18 Carbonara the description reads: Smithfield peppered ham/bacon is caramelized for three hours with a ton of onions then put on a layer of Asiago and fresh mozzarella cheeses then sprinkled with parmesan and pixie dust and gorgonzola. I also order a Pepperoni #14: an American Classic and she recommends adding fresh sausage.
I ask about beverages and she says to purchase anything I want from the store attached. I go over and buy a 24 oz Miller original in a can and return to my seat. While the first Pizza is in the oven she brings over two tiny plastic champagne glasses for our beverage and a photo book of the history of bono pizza and his patented oven. We chat for awhile and our pizza is delivered from the oven maybe seven feet away. The #18 Carbonara is delivered to the table piping hot with a warning to let it cool a little. So I have 1 sip out of my shot glass of beer refill it and dig in. Perfectly cooked and delicious. The 10 inch kind of round crust is perfect. It needs nothing. My wife is speechless. By the time we both finish a piece the pepperoni arrives. It is also just as good and the sausage she recommended is better than the pepperoni.
I have found Pizza Nirvana in a Liquor Store from a Man in a Captains Hat next to a Dumpster. I kinda hope that this place sort of stays a secret but I also think they might need the business. These people know how to make Pizza so I doubt it. If you are in the area you must stop in and say hi to these fun and amazing people. They are only opened from 5pm to 10pm. I dont think they deliver but I could be wrong. The Pizza is $10 dollars each and you can order them anyway you want. The two pizzas were $20 plus the $1.48 24oz beer for a total of $21.48 it was a steal and one of the most enjoyable meals I have ever had...Russ

On the menu it says:

of course its in the back of a liquor store its bono pizza. The menu is hand typed with over typed corrections and strange drawings and clippings.
<message edited by Russ Jackson on Thu, 01/21/10 9:54 AM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
    • No New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
    • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    • Locked w/ New Messages
    • Locked w/o New Messages
    • Read Message
    • Post New Thread
    • Reply to message
    • Post New Poll
    • Submit Vote
    • Post reward post
    • Delete my own posts
    • Delete my own threads
    • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
    What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com